Saturday 12 February 2011

The Old Boy Had Plans!

Hello Blog lovers.

Well, today was an experience!! There was me thinking we were going for a 10 mile jaunt because of my daughter, the first born, and her bloke were coming for the weekend. Apparently they are getting withdrawal symptoms from the little dude, my grandson. Oh yes, they come for him first then the oldies!!

So we set off, the Old Boy said something about riding to Green street Green. Of course that is so do-able, I can do that sleeping now! I thought maybe we would be doing one of those hills, Perryhall Road, or Poverest. But when we were on our way he said, "I am planning on going up to Cudham" Well, I didn't feel as freaked out as I thought I would, and we did drive up that way last night! I think he must have been subliminally getting me ready for it (is there such a word as that lol)

Green Street green came all to quickly, and I mean that literally! When we were on the cycle path riding down hill to the last roundabout, we were both rolling, but I was finding that I had to pull on my brakes! The Old Boy didn't though! We had a quick stop in the car park of the pub, and he tried to give me a pep talk, saying its a long road, the hill starts about 150 yards up the road, and to just take it easy. Well of course I am going to do that!

So the start of a very long, long, long, long hill! Ok, so its not hugely steep, but after riding up it it feels like it! I start off pretty ok, like I said its not, particularly steep, just a long, long time going up it. There are these little plateau's, even though you are going up hill, it just don't feel like it, and you can get a bit of pace on.

About mile 7 or so I just had to stop. The Old boy telling me that he was feeling good. We didn't stop for long, just long enough to catch my breath. Then up again, the long, long road. "Get yourself in a special place" he tells me, "A nice happy place and keep on peddling" I try and think of a nice place to be, eating chocolate, mmmm, nope that didn't do it, pie and mash, how I love pie and mash, nope that didn't do it. How about having the family round, hmmm, well, that's working, ok, yes, I can do this, now add a friend or two of yes, thats it, a party, love having a party!

Darn it, I lost my thoughts. Flippin nora, this hill is hard!!! "Oi, car driver, don't get so bloody close" I yell at a huge four by four driver. "Get to that special place" Says the Old Boy. Special place!! I just want to go home! But I tried again, so, where was I? Oh yes, friends, party, mmm, yup, I'm there.

Its a totally demoralising road for cyclists, well, cyclists like me! The 'proper cyclists that use this road, just flew passed. With his cycle helmet on, his Lycra shorts and top, and his special Oakly flipping, 'look at me' sun glasses, (Oh yes, the sun is shining, its gorgeous out here today. "Why would you bring me up here?" I yelled at the Old Boy, "Why, why?" "I just thought you could do it" he said, I wished that thought stayed in his head.

Well I am not going to go on. You can imagine my thoughts on this ride. The Old Boy does, "Do you hate me?" he says. I can't remember if I answered him or not! I do remember getting faster on some parts of this road, which amazed me! But soon there was a turn right that we had to do. "Soon be going down hill" he says.

I am looking forward to going down hill. That road was long, it was hard, and it was wet! Apparently the Old Boy had been 'eating my dirt" all the puddles that I had gone through and muddy patches, because he was behind me and pretty close, he was getting covered!! I so wish knew that on the way up, that could have been my very happy place! But no down hills yet, in fact there is another up hill "ARRGGHHH, what the........I can't do it!" I am changing gear as I am trying to get up yet another hill, but I was so tired, and so fed up, I was actually changing up and not down. It was getting hard to peddle up, the cars coming pass me, and all I could think of is, "Why is it so hard" I was totally confused now! I had to stop. Then I realised I had changed up the right hand gears to the top!! The Old boy had to change down while I hand spun the peddles.

The way home from here the Spinning Wheel, just up the top of this road though, was guite pleasant. It was mainly down hill, and the hills that we did have to go up were not as long as the one that we have already done. I was looking forward to getting home today.

Biggin Hill was soon in our sights, and time for a quick pit stop. I was as dry as the dessert getting up that hill, (it may have been the sausage and bacon I had for breakfast), but the off license was a welcome stop. A bottle of water, and a freddo!! So definitely deserve that.

Just a straight road, all the way down to the A21. Not a lot of hills, and quite enjoyable now. Near the end of this road, the Old boy did say that we should turn left and go towards Bromley and the then go down Southborough Lane to make it up to twenty miles. I didn't mind, it seems I have a little bit left in me to do that. But of course, it's not just down southborough lane, its up it and into Petts Wood. This seem so hard now. The crawl pace I was going up here, reminiscence of the days when i first tried it.

I didn't stop though, kept going, through Petts wood, down to the mini roundabout and then home!!

Brilliant ride, well, half of it anyway! Now for the housework!!

Geeky stats

No comments:

Post a Comment