Wednesday 16 February 2011

PB Or Conquer My Nemesis? Hmm?

Hello Blogers,

Well today I have had a busy day, exercise wise that is. Well to think of it, just a busy day in general. First I had to get up! Well, its an achievement for me! Then I went for a run, came home tidied up a little after the dude, had a shower, done toddlers, came home, more tiding up, school run. etc etc etc, then I went for a bike ride!

"How does this woman do it" I hear you all asking. Well the truth is, I have no idea! I got the Old Boy hooked on keeping fit, and now I got to go with the flow!

So today, I am going to keep this bit fairly short......... ok you can stop sighing now.......and hooray-ing....... ok? Have you all finished? Well this is the short bit.

Good music kept me going, off course I didn't quite manage to get round the whole way without a few stops, but when I did stop it was further along the route, and stopping for less time.

So, I asked you in the beginning, personal best or conquer my nemesis, Perry Hall Road! Well let me tell you, I got a PB. did this route in 38.06 minutes, just take a look at the geeky stats



After my shower, and all the other stuff I mentioned, I was waiting for the Old Boy to come home so that we could go for a 10 miler. I had already told him that I had my personal best today, and he was well chuffed with me, even sent a kiss on my phone! Then he asked if I was up for a 10 miler. "Yeah no problem" I said. I was feeling on top of the world.

Of Course I was thinking maybe we would go through Hayes and stuff like that, but he said something about we are going to GreenstreetGreen, and then on to Opington. "Have a go at your nemesis" he says to me. Why!! Why when I was feeling on top of the world, why would I want to come crashing down just now. But then he carried on, "I'm going to take you on to parts of my route that I do" he says "up to Halstead"

Now those of you who know those roads these are pretty scary roads, even in the car. (or is that just me that thinks that?) and to ride a bike up there, at night, with just a plastic and polystyrene hat on seems ludicrous to me. Well of course I was wearing other things!!! tut, you guys! lol. But a quick word upstairs to keep us both safe (and vigilant) and on we go.

To be truthful, the only prat..... oops sorry, stupid driver that I came across was one wanting to turn into Maccie D's on the A21, he was not using his mirrors at all! and tried to squish me under his tyres in his eagerness to get his teeth into some sort of meat substance sold at these establishments. The Old boy told me that we were to keep going, pass where I usually turn off to head on home, (Greenstreet Green) and on until we see the sign that says Halstead.

I was in the lead position, I knew this road, I had to drive down here when I had to pick him up after his fishing expeditions, (and I always turned off too early) So I just kept going until I heard him say "Stop here Old Girl, until there is a safe gap to cross"

Well He must have been looking out for us, we didn't have to wait long, a huge gap, no cars coming up, and the cars coming down were far enough away that we could cross this road safely all the way. And now we are on a boring, boring, uphill road, in the dark!

I just kept on peddling, waiting for that roundabout that will send us home. Thankfully we made it. We decided to make this a pit stop. Me and the Old boy have new accessories for our new bikes, Bottle Holders But I am the only one with a bottle that fits, he he he. We stopped near a sign that says 'Badgers Mount' I tried to get the Old Boy a picture of me standing there to show you all, but his super douper, all inclusive, making tea, and washing up new mobile phone don't have a flash!

The road down from here is, ....well,.... its ok. The roundabout at the bottom is pretty scary. You have to pretend to be a car then! Get in the right lane, which is the middle land and the go kind of straight across this. No problem with that, sorted.

From here it was pretty mundane, its was fast, because its down hill, top gear all the way to Orpington! We turned left at Charleton Parade so that we will be facing my nemesis. Like I said before, I already have my PB, I am tired, still suffering from the cold, and now my nemesis, Perry Hall Road! Hmmm, not today, I am thinking.

My thoughts were "Just take it easy Old Girl, no-one will shun you because you didn't make it, you have had a busy day!" NAH Stuff that!! I am going for it! Why not! What is the worse that can happen?!

The Old Boy said to me "Its here Old Girl, you're nemesis" "Ssshh" I said "You going to sneak up on it?" he says jokingly. I hankered down in my seat, thought about all the stuff I have been told, "relax your hands, count 1, 2, 3, keep peddling, don't stop, just relax"

So I did. I didn't stop peddling. The Old Boy asked if he should go ahead of me, and I said yes! This was my battle, my challenge, I needed to do it. He went off, up the hill. Now it was just me, my bike and that hill. Peddling, peddling, think about what I have been told, keep an eye on the traffic, keep an eye on the road, I looked up. I can see the roundabout, already! You can do this Old Girl, keep going, don't stop! Flippin nora, Old Girl, you can do this, you can do this. I'm peddling like crazy, I'm counting, I'm relaxing. I reached the roundabout and even crossed over it as there were no cars waiting to use it. I went passed the last place I stopped, I was telling myself to keep on going. I just had to do this today. Onwards and upwards, the Old Boy gone from my sight now, probably reached the top and was waiting for me, but I kept on going. My legs were telling me to stop peddling, my head was telling me to stop peddling. But I just kept on going. I looked up and I could see the top of the hill. Not far to go, then its on the level! Oh wow, I can do this, I am going to do this.

I done it!! the Old Boy was just coming along the other side of the road to cheer me on. I was laughing, almost crying! I flipping done it.

So the answer to the question, PB or conquer my nemesis? Do both Old Girl!!

Geeky stats of my ride today

No comments:

Post a Comment