Tuesday 10 August 2010

Running Test - Passed!

Hi blogees,

Naggy Neighbour said to me yesterday that I have to try and run around the 2 mile route, without her pulling, pushing, encouraging, nagging me the whole way by myself. Well, I didn't exactly go by myself today, I called for our other neighbour, you remember her, Happy Neighbour. When I called her on the telephone it seemed she was still finishing her dinner!, but she was keen to go, so we waited for half an hour or so, let her dinner go down. A dinner, mind, that would suit a runner, pasta!

I informed Happy Neighbour of my 'orders' from Naggy Neighbour about running non stop for two miles, even if I go slower that yesterday, as long as I don't stop. This is a test for me to do something on my own, so to speak, I know that Happy Neighbour is with me, but I know that she is not going to nag me, not yet at least!

Happy Neighbour is of course happy with this, she even said, "You carry on running even if I don't" "OK," I said, "but stop anytime, and if you feel you can't run the second one, don't worry about it"

On our way now, her boys giving her lots of encouragement as we head off up the path, I have my IPOD with me, but no earphones in, as I want to be able to listen and encourage Happy Neighbour just as I get encouraged to get on and do it. I just need it for the timer. We are soon to the first part of the park, in less then 2 minutes if you are jogging, and it's quite pleasant to jog in the cooler evening air. In fact I thought it might have been a bit cooler and put a jacket on! Just as we reached the first half mile I encouraged Happy Neighbour by telling her this. She made noise that same as I did in my head yesterday!! Only I was to scared to let out anything then, I didn't want a telling from Naggy Neighbour!

So I think knowing that we were only a quarter of the way round is just a little daunting! By this time tho my jacket came off just as we passed this half mile, and was duly tied around my waist. I should have left it really and picked it up the next lap! But thinking about anything else other that getting round a route seems too difficult for me.

Happy neighbour found the mile marker a more encouraging comment, I could feel she was smiling! Where as me I was really feeling it, fresh legs yesterday, helped me get round a 2 mile non stop route, as well as Naggy Neighbour constantly looking at her gizmos and saying that I'm doing well. Today, however, I am in front, I can hear Happy Neighbour behind me, all I have is my IPOD telling me that time is running out! And my legs feel like lead! So from the beginning of the second mile it was sheer will power getting me around.

My mantra going around my head "I am not a quitter, I am not a quitter, I AM NOT A QUITTER!" I needed to do this non stop, for me, to show ME that I CAN DO IT It seems harder doing laps, rather than a route, I'm not sure why, but I have only done 2 laps and I am not liking turning my back to the way home, and rest, and dinner. I hold my hat up the CRAZY MMR RUNNER for running 24 hours around a track in Belfast just a few days ago, and he was running through the night in the rain!

Coming down the last half mile is just so wonderful, knowing it's not long now, but also knowing that there is no way I can possibly do any walking because I a nearly home. A quick check on Happy neighbour, and can you believe it, she is still with me! She is still jogging, although now shes says 'feeling it!" Yes I would feel it if I just go jogging once a week!.

On to road now, so close, both of us are not going to quit now, we are so close, just keep on jogging, we can hear the boys playing footie on the green, keep going, "Happy Neighbour, lets finish in style" and with that I put a sprint on, turn the corner and the boys clapping as we run up the path!

Stop the timer on the IPOD! 23 minutes 17 seconds, FASTER THAN YESTERDAY BY 5 SECONDS! Well pleased with myself, and so impressed with Happy Neighbour for staying with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment