Friday 20 August 2010

Back In The Saddle.

Hi blogees,

I finally get to ride my bike today! I love riding my bike, I just hate these up hill routes I have chosen!

I had a lazy morning, just festering in my bed, no one knocking on my door with their offspring, no having to run out and do shopping, or meeting up with anyone, just a day for me. So I had a little trouble getting myself motivated to get my cycling head together.

After lasts weeks cycle ride in the rain, I decided to forgo the vanity and put on my jog pants just in case the rain came. I did put a pretty top over that just to make it look a little less sporty.

I kept finding things I had to do before I eventually got my bike out and headed for Downe Village. Just as I was about to go up the road I noticed my daughter and grandson were visiting my mother in low, so I went in that direction just to say hi, and get a sloppy snog from the stubborn one.

As I was in this direction anyway I decided that I would continue this way and go up the A21, so I won't be going up Starts Hill. Its a long, long road, and you guessed it, its all up hill, just one long up hill run. But before I could really start complaining to myself I had got to the turning through the first village. And I am smiling, because just a little further down the road is my first down hill. Hopefully its not full of traffic like last time, I am looking forward to free wheeling down here. And there it was, empty, no cars parked, just a clear ride down.

I am sure I feel spots of rain, and I'm praying that it just stays up there in the clouds, I really don't want to look like a drowned rat like last time. And my prayers were answered.

Now, if I could only pray that the up hills from now will all turn to down hills then I would be laughing. I decided to go a slightly different route to last week, as suggested by the landlord and lady of the pub that I'm going to. They said that its not as hilly as the way I went last time. So the first turn of to the left I ignored and went on down the next one.

Now, if you are like me, then you would be puzzling too, if going one way, to a place, is up hill from the point where your are standing, then how, by going another way are you supposed to avoid going up hill to get to the exact same place? Anyone would think that, right. Well, of course its impossible, unless you do miles and miles of serpenting to 'flatten' the hill, which I am not going to do, for one thing I would get very lost! So of course it is up hill, but by going this way it's longer, and the hill is never ending, there are no flat bits so you can't catch your breath, change gear on your bike or anything, its just one long long winding hill.

I came to a point on the route where I just couldn't do anymore riding and I got off and pushed my bike up. I got to a road, with houses and I suddenly realised how far away from the pub that I was, this gave me the inspiration to get back on it and cycle like mad and make a dash for my lunch and a nice cooling drink.

Made it! I checked the time on my phone. It took me 47 minutes to cycle from my home to here. I was quite impressed with that actually, it always seems longer to me. the landlady of the pub was outside in the garden when I pulled up with my bike "Hello, old girl" she said with a smile "You're not riding on past then?" I think I said something like "No, landlady, I shall be requiring a nice glass of diet coke please"
I'm sure I must have looked a sight again as I pulled my helmet off my head, my hair stuck to my forehead by sweat, my red puffy face glowing, and me in my Max Wall trousers. But I am pleased, I am happy, I did it again, with only just a few minutes of walking involved this time. My drink was very much appreciated.

On the way home I made a note of the time I left the pub and vowed to cycle all the way home, not getting off my bike at the church in Farnborough, nor getting off my bike to go up the first bit of Starts Hill lane as I did last week. Cycle all the way home.

Well I did it, I did it in 38 minutes from when I left the pub, so that means add those two together it comes to 1 hour 25 minutes to cycle to Downe village and back, quicker that last week, as I was out for only 2 hours and 5 minutes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment