Tuesday 26 February 2019

Two For The Price Of One!

Hello blog readers.

I shall keep this as brief as I can considering I have two to write about!  The first is parkrun, which took place on parkrunday of course.   I didn't do my usual regular parkrun both me and Naggy went to Orpington, Goddington Park, for a great mud fest!  It was one of Naggys 'Meet up with her Tri Buddies' parkrun and so Orpington was the chosen one!  I had done that one before, a good few years ago, it was a Mob Match run.  I remember it well because it was were my Sister, Bims, had a fall and it put her out of running for such a long time! She did get back to it but has now quit again.

Anyway, Orpington parkrun, it was a bit muddy to say the least.  It was the first time I did it too.  I had told Naggy to wear her dirty trainers, I was expecting it not to have changed much.  It's all through the rugby fields, so of course it's not going to have a chance to not be muddy!  I really did take it easy around the three lap course, (two big loops and one small loop).  I didn't want to be falling over and hurting myself, I had a ball to get to in the evening, no sprained ankles for me!

My time at the parkrun reflected that I took it easy, not that I would have been able to do it any quicker anyway,  it was way to slippy.  Still, it was nice bumping into some PWR pals,  look, we even got a selfie at the end!
PWR runners!
Me, Eadaoin and I forgot her name!

me and fat arse









Club Running

So, now we talk about this evenings run.  It's Tuesday which means that its club running and I was leading this week.  I was looking forward to it, I had planned a couple of hills, so that included going up Birchwood.  Well, I think I needed to work of a couple of chocolate cakes I had while visiting Kirsty!  It's a lucky thing that I run, because then I can eat cheeky little choccy cakes! I didn't have some of my usual crew with me, they were going in Group 2 with IllustriousLeader, but K and Kathy were there to sweep for me.  

Getting up the hill is always a challenge, it's a great warm up too.  We don't have to go too fast when there is a hill involved, so when it's at the beginning of a run it just works out perfectly as we can take it easy on the hill to warm up, then we can put in a bit of an effort for the rest of the run!  Even though there were a couple of other cheeky little hills, but that's by the by!  We had a nice little group of 7 runners, a couple of them coming back after injury and a newbie!  Always good to see new people.  I am sure this route will be enjoyed by them all!  Just a little challenge, test out the healing bodies, give confidence to those joining who already to parkruns!  

We were not to spread out, and the pace wasn't too bad.  I know my sweepers have sometimes been in front of me at parkruns and I was feeling pretty good with the pace that I was doing.  I kept the running pace a fairly average middle of the road 13.00 mi/m ish type of pace.  I had noticed on the odd occasion we were doing a tad faster than we should have been doing, it's amazing what can happen when you are chatting and totally relaxed with your run!  

So we soon got to the 'last' hill. it's on Kevington road, I usually do some hill reps here, but my group was just a little spread out so I sent the faster runners to do just run up the hill and down while the backsters caught up.  Then we all ran up together.  It did mean that our route won't be quite as long as I thought it would be, but I can make that up somewhere, depends how well we are all together when I get to a certain place!  I kept that quiet, to myself!  No need to panic anyone just yet!

Once we got up the hill and back out of Marlings park road we ran along Chislehurst road towards the big roundabout and then turned right.  Time for the sweeties part of the run, a nice downhill section towards Crossways.  I was totally enjoying this part of the run and just chatting and having fun, I looked behind me and could see that my group was again splitting up a little too much so I sent the runners to wait by Crossways and then waiting for my Sweepers.  I looked at my Garmin and realise that actually we were about just under half a mile short, I didn't want to by group to feel they missed out so I asked K and Kath whether they could make the last hill going up, they said "fine, go for it".  I ran to the ones waiting by Crossways "My car is just there, so I might just go now" said of the runners "Oh, right, well that's good" I said just as the backers turned up, "So, we still got just a bit more to do" I said as I looked up towards the memorial hall "and then we are done!"  I finished!  Well, I think I saved them all from worrying about the last hill, because they really didn't have a clue that I was planning that!  But they all went ahead and did it, we got to the top and then turned right and then right again.  Another lovely little sweetie bit as we ran down to Crossways and then left towards the the rec.  All over and done with, smiling faces at the end is always a bonus.  I think they enjoyed it, including that last surprising hill!

Geeky stats.









No comments:

Post a Comment