Thursday 7 February 2019

Normans Angels - A New Team Member!

hello readers.

"Once upon a time there were three beautiful ladies who tried running by themselves. They were each assigned to look after people, a carer, teacher, NHS worker.  Running by themselves was tough but I took them all away from that and now they run for me. My name is Norman"

We must be really needed somewhere.  Somewhere, out there are people looking for help, looking to kick out the couch potatoes and bring in the mojo!  Norman, again had us out there on Saturday morning and on Sunday training like it could be the last training session ever!  

The Saturday session was tough, I really wasn't feeling the love for Norman that was sure, how could he expect us to be out there in the freezing cold, ice on the floor and expect us to run!  It wasn't going to be pretty!  I really didn't expect to see any of the civilians to be attending the training session either, who in their right mind goes running when there is ice all over the place. One of us was missing, SnappyH, apparantly Norman had a special assignment for her to do on Sunday, so he allowed her to be excused from this training session.

Naggy was going to be running though, as for me, I decided that I was going to be walking around the course instead.  Norman wanted me to go on to a special assignment straight after this training session, more about that later!  The training began and the crowd of civilians all moved together as one, but slowly, ever so slowly.  I head a shout from up the front of the crowd, it was from one the civilians that usually run on the Saturdays, his name is Andy, "Take care, run on the grass, it's less slippy" he was telling everyone.  Well that just made my mind up, I was going to be walking.  It just so happened that GetYourLegsUpTracy was going to be taking it ever so easy to, I was able to do a fast paced walk next to her as she jogged along, not going crazy today.  It was just as well I walked it really, because I just managed to 'save' a lady from getting 'crushed by the runners, I lead her to the saftey of the 'left side' of the path and also, at the top end of the park I found out the owner of a 'lost dog' who was busy just sniffing everything he could.....the dog was sniffing, not the dog owner I might add!

There were still so many people trying to run the whole course, I knew that would push on Naggy to keep the pace up, to push herself to as fast as she could in these conditions!   The training on Saturday was nothing to write home about, but getting out there and doing something I think is what Norman was after, I was quite pleased that I had gone out, but I was also so very pleased I didn't run, I didn't get all hot and sweaty!  Why, well I will tell you.  Norman had this special assignment for me, well, when I say me, there were quite a few other 'Angels' that were all doing this special assignment.  It was to 'suffer' for two hours in a freezer style building.  I looks like an ordinary green garden shed, sitting inconspicuously in the Normans Running Track grounds!  It was amazing to see how many Angels there are, some were new, some had been Angels for quite some time!  And there was me thing there were only the three of us!  But what we did in that 'Freezer' situation was to discuss how we were all helping to keep the mojo going of all the runners that turn up on a Tuesday evening at Willet Rec!  Brilliant!  It's good to see so many of us, all sharing the information!  I wonder if Norman was there?

Of course my stats for that parkrun will reflect the fact that I had walked the whole way!  Well, actually I had about 5 minutes of running, only in a couple of places, just to get warm!  


Sundays training session, I was only expecting the two of us to be there, as SnappyH was doing thisCarolWithAnE.  When did Norman recruit her, has sheen seen him?  But there she was all ready to do a Sunday Training with us. 
special assignment in London, among thousands of people!  Such a brave thing to do.  I wonder if Norman would be among them keeping an eye on how she is doing!  It wasn't just the two of us though, we have a new recruit to the team of Normans Angels, it was

She was already at the park, me and Naggy pulled up alongside her car and we all acknowledged each other with a nod.  We got out of the car and greeted each other with a hug.  That's right, Norman has chosen one of our other friends to be a new Angel.  "So is this a nice little leisurely chat run" she said with a huge smile on her face!  I wondered then if Norman had briefed her properly!  "Oh no" I said to her with a laugh, "there will be no talking, not until the end!"  Naggy just smiled as we all synchronised our watches,gadgets an gizmo's.  

We all started to run together, of course Naggy with her special talent of speed and stamina started to pull away almost immediately.  I thought then that Norman has stepped up our training.  I knew from past running expeditions, Naggy and CarolWithAnE had ran together, staying at a steady pace, faster than what I can do.  Maybe that's where Norman had seen them and thought they would work well together.  Even so, Naggy pulled away from CaroleWithAnE as well.  Her training was to catch Naggy, Naggy was to catch me and mine.....mine was to stay uncaught!  Looking at the way Naggy was pulling away she was out to impress, so I just better be on top form too.

It was lucky that the snow and ice from the day before had all melted.  They day was a complete opposite from the day before.  The sky was such a beautiful blue, there was hardly any wind and it it felt positively spring like compared to the day before.  I thought of SnappyH on her special mission in London, surely Norman couldn't be in two places at once.  I wondered how he would be keeping an eye on all of us.  I looked around for hidden cameras, maybe he was watching from a nice warm cosy office.  Or maybe one of these civilians was Norman.  I couldn't recognise any of them from the previous weeks, maybe that is part of the training, to make sure that we can recognise and take note of all the people around us!  

All of this was going through my mind and I noticed that CarolWithAnE was up in front of me!  She has suddenly realised what Sunday Training is all about!  And now the chase was on......I think that is from a different show!  The first lap of Normans Park was done and there was no catching of CarolWithAnE, I don't think she was any near Naggy either!  This really is going to be a great test.  There seemed to be more families out too.  They seemed to be 'getting in the way' even more than usual.  There seemed to be more little people on bikes than ever, things really have stepped up.  But when I think of the assignment that is planned for us on the 2nd of March I can understand why Norman only wants the best of the best there!  

Lap 2 done, and my gizmo in my ear was telling me that I was in TE 4.  That's the first time I have been up there since I got my new Jabra gizmo, surely Naggy will have a hard time catching me this session.  I was feeling quite confident that I will be able to get 'home' before she does get to me.  I was also confident that I wouldn't be catching CarolWithAnE either!  Still, we got to look at the positives, I will get back without getting caught!

With my third lap well under way I took a sneaky peak behind me, up ahead and to the other side of the park to see if I could see the other angels, I couldn't, which means that I have to keep on pushing hard so as not to get caught!  It really was a perfect winters running day, the sun was shining, no rain, always a bonus, and just seeing blue sky makes you feel good.

The third lap all done, I ran around the last couple of hundred meters, keeping an eye behind me, I felt sure that Naggy would be closing in on me.  CarolWithAnE had finished and was walking it out towards me.  She already got home so she was 'safe'  and now I had to get home!  All the while I just kept thinking she was going to get me! A last minute ditch with little people on bikes and with a pooch, almost tripping me up and I was home! 

I did it.....again......I was pleased with that.  Next week, well next week we up the anti, I am on four miles!  Lets see how that goes!

Geeky stats.

Look at those stats! Did I
work hard or what!



No comments:

Post a Comment