Thursday 30 August 2018

Last Rec Session!

Hello blog readers.

This evening was the last rec session for 2018!  How can that have happened!  It only just seemed a couple of weeks ago that we started back to the rec to do our speed and core sessions!  Of course this means from next week it's back to Track!  Hmm.  I must do this!  I must do this!

DiscoRich took the session, the last session.  He had some fun stuff for us to do.  The last sessions are always particularly good fun because there are are trophies to win!    We had to start at 7:15 pm, as by the time we had finished the night would have taken over.  Our summer light just seems to go so quick!  DiscoRich had us all running around the rec for a warm up just the one lap, usually it's two.  But then, he put us into two teams.  He put all the faster runners in one group and all the not so faster runners in another group.  We thought we were only doing one warm up lap, but actually, DiscoRich had something else planned.  A train run for the second lap! Now a train run is when you run with your team in a line, one behind the other, and then the back runner sprints to the front and sets the pace, then the next person who is at the back runs and so on and so forth.  It's a great way do some some sprints, and of course when you are in front you can slow the pace down or speed it up if you want!

Two laps of that particular exercise and by then we were all pretty warmed up ready for the next one.  The one DiscoRich had us doing then was called Mountains and Valleys.  This involved the little cones, one team were mountains then other team were the valleys.  The valleys had to make sure that all cones were turned upside down, while the mountains had to make sure that all cones were the right way round.  Simple!  I was on the Valley team, we had the harder job, because we had to actually pick them up while the other team just had to knock them back over with just a foot or a hand.  The losing team then had to do five burpees which the other team took great delight in watching and jeering!  We did that twice.......and twice we lost! (Um, I did try to grab loads of cones and then throw them on the floor just as the whistle went for the second time of playing too......still lost)

Pink team lost! Blue team were sooo jeering!

After that, the cricket pitch came into play, as we had to run around there, at varying speeds until we were sprinting around the entire pitch, each corner to corner!  Well, I don't think I managed the very last one, but I really did try hard!

After that DiscoRich had us doing a game of 'Rock, Paper, Scissors'  All players playing against everyone.  If you won your game then you collected a point, the loser .......more burpees!  The winner then went to another winner to play again.  The first to get to 10 was the winner!  That was fun, and while we were playing that game, DiscoRich was busy setting up the next racing game.

As this is the last of the rec sessions the 'Egg and Spoons' were back.  We all do really love this race.  We were in three teams of four, the 'Egg and Spoons' at the ready, by the way, they are wooden items, so much more economical, don't you think!  I was in a winning team this time, well, it was a draw with DiscoRich's team!

With just a last lap of relay to do, but this time, we were in threes, so there was four teams.  We had to do a whole lap of the rec and then hand over the baton to our team mate.  A whole lap, meaning keeping  about a meter from the white painted line around the green, not cutting it short by going through the middle!  I tried desperately trying to keep up with the first of the runners to start.  Being on the outside edge I was in a tricky position anyway,  but I thought I would 'squish' up to the insider runner once we started.  I didn't really want to get too much on the inside of the rec, but everybody kept 'squishing and squishing towards the inside lane.....even the one who had the inside lane kept squishing until she was almost running around the cricket pitch, which was not quite the whole of the rec.  As I kind of.....well, tried to help my team win in the cones game, I decided that I was going to try and do a 'proper' lap of the Green, hugging the white line as much as I could.  Flipping 'eck it  was tough!  Not only was I trying to run further than all the other first runners, I was trying to stay as close to them as possible!  I got back to the bench puffing like a blimmin steam train, passed my baton on to my team mate who had a heck of a job trying to catch up!  Still, I felt better about trying to do the whole lap!

So as I have said, this was the last of the 2018 rec sessions, and there were two trophies to collect.  One trophy was for the best skill in the Egg and Spoon race, that particular trophy came to little ole me!  The other trophy was for the most improved runner!  That one went to Emma!

A great workout, a great fun last session and I have a trophy!  I forgot to switch on my Garmin though!  Oh well!

But this is a picture of my 'Egg and Spoon' trophy, much coveted by everyone, I believe Tracy won it last year!




No comments:

Post a Comment