Sunday 5 August 2018

Double Thursday and Just the One Saturday

Hello blog readers.

I managed to get out on Thursday morning as Kirsty still in hospital. There were a few of us running in the morning.  I wanted to try the mob match route again, so that I can take group 1 there on Tuesday.  Last time I completely messed up, but this time Paula was quite sure of the route so, with her pointing the way and me making mental notes I feel, well, ok about leading this route on Tuesday! I shall check my geeky stats again though, just to make sure!

There were just the four of us, me, Paula, Wendimoo and Tracy, a nice group, and perfect for trialing this route for Tuesday.  We went in through Dog Poo Ally and the turned left.  Running through the woods this time in the morning is quite a challenge, its the way the light falls on the floor of the woods, it makes looking out for the roots of the trees a little tricky. Running back this way is different, a lot easier to see, but for a group 1 route I was planning on popping out of the woods before Dog Poo ally. 

This route includes the bridges, three of them, three lots of steps up, three sets down.  I had made up my mind that I will be running up each set of steps, but walking down them so as not to fall.  That first set of steps blimmin hurt!  I could feel it on my thighs!  Boy do I really need to get in shape!  The second and the third set hurt just as much as the first set of steps!  Wendimoo managed to fall UP the steps!  No damage done, just a little graze on her leg! 

Going through Jubilee I reminded myself to stay focused.  I know some of the way, it's just when we get to the sharp left turn.  Last time I missed it and we ended up on Blackbrook lane!  I have made mental notes now, it's by the bench with the information board behind it, thats the sharp left hand turn, then keep running along the path until the shady path!  Sounds easy doesn't it?  Lets hope it all pans out!

It was straight forward after we got to the shady path, well when I say straight forward.... we met a woman walking her dog by a crossways.  We we going one way and the other lady was going to the right.  Both Paula and I were in front, path finding and all that, Wendimoo and Tracy were bring up the rear.  Now Wendimoo does love a chat, she just chats along and it helps with her breathing!  Tracy just followed the sound of her voice, she was busy looking down at the path, she saw a pair of legs that went to the left, and she followed them!  Wrong Tracy, we were going along the right hand path!  After Wendimoo called her back they caught us up!  It reminded me of when I lost Tracy around Crofton School!  I daren't lose her in Jubilee Park, she will never find her way out! Still we all managed to get back to the entrance of the park, just by Tent Peg Lane.  I checked my garmin and made the decision to run back over just one bridge, its the shorter way back to the rec, that will make it a perfect distance for group 1.

We only had one bridge to cross and when I ran up the steps my thighs were not so on fire as on they were the first time, still, I was pleased not to be doing the other two bridges.  We ran out into Little Thrift and then on to Great Thrift heading towards the rec. 

A brilliant run, and we were back within in the hour!  Certainly doable for next Tuesday!


Thursday Core Training

Auriol and Nigel were in charge, they had planned the session between them.  It was a bit....um.....concerning shall we say when I saw written on one of the facebook posts that RefMichael should be 'just slightly worried'!  Hmm, what had they planned for RefMichael, because whatever it is it will include us!

I decided to ride my bike over to the rec, and also to get Tracy to ride her bike too, it's all extra exercise and that can't be bad for us can it!  We arrived to applause and 'well done' from our fellow Thursday night crew!  I changed my shoes (I took my Spesh to the park) and then caught up with them as they ran the first warm up lap.

After that it was drills, Nigel threw in some upper body drills, or boxing movements I should say!  We were just punching in the air, but by Jove did my arms suffer doing that!  After that it was our usual drills.

The first speed session was a game Auriol found on the Internet, with two teams and loads of cones!  A long line of cones was put in a line and then two short lines  some distance apart to indicate 'home'.  The idea was to run up to the long straight line of cones, half were upside down and the other half were the right way.  Each team was to run all together turn the cone either upside down if you were on the 'Upside down' or turn them the right way up if you were on that team.  Now I am sure there was a tactic, but do you think I could figure it out.  Anyway, both times we did the game I happened to be on the side that lost!  Oh well.

After that we did some core training, and it seemed as if Nigel is after a six pack, because nearly all the core training centred on the core!  I guess that is the idea of core training!  Still, we did a few squats and a plank!  Then it was the parluffs, the relays, everyone loves the relays!  It was a great session.  Next week guess who is in charge!? Yup Me!

Saturday parkrun

Up to date now.  I did parkrun yesterday, still with my 'do as much as you can before' attitude I took my bike to parkrun, Naggyneighbour did as well.  I couldn't persuade Tracy to ride 'allll that way' to parkrun, she took her car!  I again took my Spesh, I did the week before but I rode it with my normal running shoes.  I found it difficult because I have cleats on my shoes and it just awkward to ride with normal shoes. 

I was feeling in a better place than I was last week, but I still fat and bloated still, and the weather! Oh boy the weather!  It was just so warm!  So now I have lined up several excuses for a slow run I shall begin!

Like I said it was warm, and the ride up to Norman park warmed me up even more. We locked our bikes in the pavilion , grabbed the water, I had a feeling I was going to be finishing with an empty bottle!  The race director gave his speech and then we were off.  It was clear from the start that I wouldn't be keeping up with Carole (not that I could anyway) and Naggy was well away.  I saw Auriol a head of me so I just thought I would be plodding along by myself.  Just then Tracy come up by my side. "I'm going to keep up with you today" she says.  "Ok" I said.  I really wasn't going to running fast.  We managed to catch up to Auriol and we all ran along together.  Then Tracy started to fall behind, but she kept us in her sights.

It was a game of chase with the three of us,  Auriol running ahead, me catching up, Tracy catching up to me and Auriol, and even overtaking on the odd occasion!  I was sweating out of every part of me that could sweat!  My water was very much needed.  Auriol was using some of hers to pour over her face!

We kept a slow pace going all the way, Auriol on the last short straight went ahead and then I came in after her with Tracy coming in just behind me!  It was a slow run!  But at least I was out doing it! I could quite easily have just rolled over in bed to have an extra hour or so sleep!

There, the finish of a long winded blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment