Tuesday 5 June 2018

Harvel Hash House Harriers 5 miler!

Hello blog readers.

Well, it's been a good few days since this fantastic, very popular run took place!  And I was very lucky to get a place!  This race sold out in about 8 hours! Eight hours!  That's how popular it has become now. "Why not increase the number of places?" some of us asked their committee. "Because we want to keep the whole thing safe and enjoyable as we can" the said "Which does mean keeping it safe on the village green too"  To be fair, if you could see the amount of people that come to support those that run, which is about as 600 or so ( I think that's how many they have in this race), then they really do have it spot on!

I didn't get a place straight away!  I had to wait to see if anyone cancelled and then they could transfer their place to me!  Being in a fantastic running club puts me in the right place at the right time! Thanks Julie!  So run place secured, coach place secured, all I needed was a picnic....and beer!  After all, it is a Hash House run!  It takes place on a Saturday, perfect, no missing church, it takes place at 2pm, absolutely perfect, a lay in too (unless you still did a park run!)  I didn't do park run, and I really enjoyed my lay in, but not too long as I needed to get my picnic!

I met the coach and all my PWR buddies outside the Daylight in Petts Wood and we piled on to the coach.  There was a great buzz on the coach, chatting and laughing, unlike those early morning coach trips we have had, when we've volunteered for some of the races!  It's not a long journey there and we were soon pulling up in the field where the coach will drop us off, it's just a short walk from here to the village green and the party atmosphere that is HHHH 5 miler!

The first thing to do.......is to hit the beer tent! Here, this is us lot getting ready for running 5 miles.


This race is not for getting PB's unless its Pints in Bladders of course.  It's a great fun run, of course there are those that do go for speed, because it really is such a beautiful route, along the roads but then you get to the woods and it's just beautiful!  With a gentle slope up to the woods, and some wonderful down hills in the woods.  There is, of course, that short sharp bump towards the end of the wooded area, just before you come out of the woods!  This year we had extra mud, I am sure there wasn't as much mud as last time, but just a couple of days previous to this there was just a small thunderstorm with a bit of rain!  A months rain in one down pour I had heard!

So after my hydration before the race we headed off to the start.  As with most well organised races they have the starting signs, 30 min finish, 40 min finish, 50 min finish, 60 min finish and then there was this one!  This one I thought I could quite easily do within the stated time!



We eventually found our expected time of finish and all chatted till it was time.  Here, this is us here.
selfie pic in queue

There was no count down but there was a gun!  It was quite loud, even us at the back could hear it as it started the race.  The runners moved forward just a few steps at first then more and more, then faster and faster.  The blue mats were soon under our feet as we heard the continuing 'beeping' of the timer as it recorded our start times from our chips on our shoes.  The afternoon was already at it's hottest, and my legs were feeling like lead, I think I over did it on Thursday evening at the rec!  (I needed to write up that blog!)  So with lead legs, extremely warm weather, beer in my belly already plus, having put on over 6 pounds during two holidays, I knew I was going to suffer big time!

Fortunately I had someone to run with me, Auriol and for the first mile we had Paula too!  We kept each other going as we chatted and ran (and walked) our way around.  This race was the first time for Auriol, I was pretty sure she was going to enjoy it!
And that's where we lost Paula as she ran along at her own pace!  Me and Auriol just plodded our way around and before long we were at mile 2!  Well that happened quite quickly, maybe it's not going to be quite so difficult after all


The hoola girls were also here!  It's such a fun and party style run!  You gotta love a dress up!


The water stop was a most welcome sight, of course this is a Hash House run, this is the water stop!




I took full advantage of the 'free bar'  although, as we were the slower runners, all that was left was beer, the wine and lagers had gone!  Even Auriol decided to immerse herself in the full HHHH experience and indulge in some beer too!



We had lost Paula before the 2nd mile, so I don't know if she had a beer, but me and Auriol carried on running and taking a picture at each mile marker!  The heat was really on, full on and we were so grateful for the shading from the trees in the woods.  We knew that soon we will have to go back out onto the roads with no shade. 

We were greeted once more by the 'water station' and there was still some beer left!  I must try and get faster for next year, just to see exactly what is on offer for the runners!  Still, there is always that lovely cooling beer on the green just waiting for us, with some picnic stuff too!  I had another cup of beer and then we really had to be on our way, we had heard over the radio of the marshals that some of the drivers waiting patiently was not wanting to wait patiently any more!

The next mile was back on the roads, with the sun beating down on us!  A stunningly beautiful day, so warm, perfect for picnic......for running not so good!  Thankfully I was not after any sort of pb!  The last 800 meters and you can hear the buzz from the green, it kind of helps you pick up your pace.  Then we got closer and closer.  Auriol and I just had a little walk, "There's a sign up there that says 'there's not more walking from here'" said of the finishers.  Well that was our cue to start running again, just a few minutes more and we will be heading towards the finish mats.  Auriol was just in front of me, she had been for the last mile, just within touching distance, we could still talk to each other, but she was still in front of me!  You know that feeling where you should just let your mate 'get in there' just let them beat you as it's their first time.  Well I had that feeling,.......until I saw the finishing mats, the mist came over my eyes.......nope, I gotta race it,  everyone was cheering by then anyway, and with that sort of support it just makes you run faster anyway, just look at this picture of me and Auriol, both of us with 'air'!  So I picked up the pace, I sprinted just those few extra feet, and I am sure she also had picked up the pace too as I had trouble just edging in front of her, but I did get to the finish, just a few seconds before her!  Wicked!  But that's the competitive side of me! 

Auriols hubby was there to record her first HHHH race, so got a great shot of us both 'flying' for the finish, it was just about then that I knew I was going to do my sprint finish!



So the finish medals and tee shirts, as this was their 20th year, the Harriers had printed tee shirts for the occasion, although I had forgotten to bring any cash with me, (only a card and phone) but Paula had bought one, and this is it, with the medals that all finishers received!

 The coach back was a bit more merrier on the way home, with just a few of us at the back attempting a singsong or two!  We continued our celebrations at the Daylight and then the Sovs!

Fabulous run, fabulous day, fabulous friends and fabulous company!  I just love PWR!  And I love this brilliant running race!

Will add route and some pictures later!


No comments:

Post a Comment