Monday 18 June 2018

Eltham 5 Miler

Hello blog readers.

Yesterday, along with tons of my running friends and buddies, turned up at Eltham.  We had signed up to do the New Eltham Joggers 5 mile race!  It is a race, but for us in group 1 and 2 its a run, just because we can, plus we get a nice shiny medal for our efforts!  For most of us in group 1 that was the first time we had done the NEJ Eltham 5, we were all really looking forward to it.

There were six of us in group 1-2 that were travelling almost together, 2 cars, very well organised, to pick us all up.  Michael was with Carole and J.J. while Tracy came for me and Wendimoo!  We arranged to meet at registration at 09:30.  Mind you, why we decided that early I don't know, well I sort of do.....the email from the RD said that registration opens at 08:30, we didn't want to get there too early considering the race didn't start till 11:00 am.
Us lot

After we got our numbers, pinned them on to our PWR tops, we had plenty of time to sit, relax, even had a coffee!  Throughout the next hour more and more PWR's turned up.  Not as many as there have been on this race before, it has been one of our Grand Prix fixtures, but there were still a nice number of us.  I managed to get some of them captured for my usual team photo!


It was soon time to line up for this race.  It seemed there were only about 300-400 people, I am not sure of the exact number of entrants. We were all very excited as we lined up, and then we heard the noise, or did I imagine it.  But whatever, the runners in front of me all moved forward, together, like an army!  I looked at my Garmin, made sure it was still ready to push the 'Go' button as I moved along with the 'army' as well, probably not as in sync with them, with my style of shuffle running!  As soon as I hit the mat I pushed the start button on my Garmin.

Carole, Wendimoo and RefMichael all just moved up quickly, along with Lou, who was one of this years beginners!  It marvellous to see that she is challenging her self!   Me, J.J. and Tracy were here to just get around as best as we could.  Tracy had her heart on not being the last one.  My aim, well, I didn't quite have one, I just wanted to run and talk.  Sometimes you just need to run and talk, even on a race day!

As I have never done this race before, neither had the J.J. or Tracy, we had no idea of the route, what it was like, did it have hills.  It was going to be a complete surprise, quite nice really, then there are no expectations!  We started on the field, I knew it was going to be a two lap course, meaning we are going to be running pass the finish line, and also we were going to have to negotiate those that suddenly pull up in front of us as they have just finished their 5 miles!  That's ok, we know what to say, we can just pretend we are at parkrun and call out "Mind out, fast runners coming by!"

We ran to a bridge, It was crossing a very busy road, thank goodness they built this bridge.  I wouldn't have like to be running across the road!  I am sure the drivers would be looking at you most angrily as they were held up until the last runner passed by!  We ran along side the busy road, we couldn't see it, it was behind the trees, then we were in the wooded part of the route! It was just lovely running through the trees. This is us in the woods.

 The signage was a bit misleading though, as it was a two lap course, seeing signs saying three miles when we hadn't even done 1!  Just as well I had my Garmin on!

The route took us back out on to the road, but not for long, just a short little section and then another marshal showed us back into to the woods.  This is where the only hill is, its just a tiny little incline, so we can't complain!  We carried on through the woods until we came out to a clearing.  We ran along then with a sharp left turn we were running around another little field.  The marshaling, I must add were just brilliant.  They kept the cheering going all the way round.  We got to the bridge again to run back over it, to head for the beginning/finish line and for the second loop, I could hear one of the most cheeriest cheerleader/marshal at the run. We could hear her for the first time when were were running to the bridge for the first time, then we heard her again when we ran back over.  It was just a about another 200 meters (I am not very good at judging distances) till we got to the beginning, and then we had to do it all again!

We were still all running quite closely together, Tracy was keeping up well with us, we wanted to run with Tracy as she was just a tad worried about it for some reason!  Heaven knows why, because she had already done a 5 miler only a couple of months ago, and that day it was a bit chilly!  So on our second lap and the 'Whoop whoop' marshal was still cheering every single runner along!  How she had lost her voice I don't know!  Back over the bridge, running along by the busy road, marshals directing us all the way along!  It was great fun.

But then we started to think about things as we got closer to the finish line.  Just a head of us was a lady in a white tee shirt.  She had actually passed us on the first loop, she was pulling away from us.  I kept her in my sights.  She was going to be my race to the finish line!  But now matter how faster I got I just couldn't reel her in.  We were getting closer again to the bridge, with the 'Whoop whoop' cheerleader marshal.  I just had to stop and say that it was an absolute pleasure to hear her just as loud, just as cheery as the very first time we passed her by.  I found out her name was Maxine!  Here, this is Maxine!  A model marshal!

Maxine, Cheerleader extraordinaire!

So now it was just the little bit along the park now, I could see white tee shirt lady, we seemed to start gaining on her, both me and J.J.  I could tell J.J. wanted to catch this runner up and pass her by.  We both put a bit of speed on, it looked like an impossible task as she was nearing the last corner of the run.  I will have to take her now or really belt it down the final straight!  We kept on and on and we finally caught up with her just as we all hit that last corner, J.J. had said something to her, but I was just on a mission by then, I set my sights on the finish mats, I didn't really want the white shirt lady to get back in front of me.  So I just ran and ran.
People were cheering, I could RefMichael calling out and Wendimoo calling, I did it.  I stopped my Garmin at 1:09:14  but........but.........the distance was 4.89m!  I only noticed that on the way home! Mind you, Carole's Fitbit said she had done 5.1 miles!

But I got my medal, I got some water, and then.......I got some beer!! And I got some cake!  What is not to like about this race?!  I shall deffo be signing up again for next year!

Here's my Geeky stats and some more photos!



much needed beer

Just us lot Chillin before the race

Wendimoo, stretching out!

Carole, winning spot prize for fancy pants!

Cheers! Always good to stretch afterwards
And flex, and each, and flex and drink

There was some serious stuff happening
Gavin won the M40-49 age category!
some of the photos are from Lou and some from Carole and some from me

No comments:

Post a Comment