Sunday 9 December 2012

Stop Press: Turkey Runs At Ditton!

Hello Blog Lovers,

Today was race day, and so here is my report!

Late Last Night

I suddenly realised I hadn't seen my race number for the mornings race. Searching, pulling out papers, boxes and getting hysterical about where I had put my number for the race in the morning. Still didn't find it, and the Old Boy said he couldn't remember ever seeing. But somehow I remember seeing it, in a brown envelope, yellow number! Surely I wouldn't throw it away! Well I shall just have to turn up there and explain or even pay again on the day!

Singstar Jo Comes To Collect Me

Singstar Jo had very kindly offered to drive me to the race meet, (I can drive but I am such a nervous driver I would panic just coming off my estate!) I told her that I had lost my number, and just hoped they would have my name down some where. It was then she told me that no on has been given their numbers, you collect them at the meet! ....Duh.... all that panic and I didn't really have it anyway! Well, not to worry, dizzy as I am, I shall just concentrate the run now. I am feeling remarkably good, I was up early, (still looking for my number) had my porridge and a cuppa, and had everything else organsied, clean shoes, dry socks and even another warmer fleece to put on afterwards.

Registration

After getting to Ditton, fairly easily with Jo driving, (only ignoring 'Jane', from the sat nav, once on route) we heading off to the registration. Well, it was a very well orgnised event so far! From the mashalls sorting out the parking to the plastic put down all over the floors in the registration room and corridors! We quickly found our numbers, all done in alphabetical  queues, (something that S.J. pointed out to me, after I wandered about the whole room looking for my queue, see, I am totally dizzy) and then went back to the car to get sorted out, leave hats and jackets in the car, (as suggested by Singstar Jo)  the day looks like it's going to be just perfect, blue skies and sunshine!

Start Line

The start line was crowded, we all had our chips (no, not potato chips) our timing chips on our shoes, and then the 'hooter' went! I watched as all the fast runners crossed over the mats which were bleeping away. We watched as a turkey crossed over the mat, santas and mrs santas, someone with scars(!?) and even a christmas tree and a christmas craker ran on over the mats. I was running along with S.J. and with Jane. Jane is in our group 1 at my runnig club, it is also her 50th  birthday today! What better way to celebrate turning a half century than to run in a very muddy race in the middle of December! It was also her first ever race as well!

First 5k

We kept at our pace, our group 1 pace, just till we warmed up. Remembering everything that we have been taught, but we also know that it is a race! We kept plodding along, and I heard some one else behind me, running along, I thought to myself  "Thank goodness, I'm not last!" But the I heard the man behind me say to the marshal, "This is all of them, there is a late starter behind me, but just one"
"Oh no, We're running with the last runner marshal"
"Don't worry about it Old Girl" Said Singstar Jo, "Just keep going"

We came off the tarmac and then was into the footpaths, the wet muddy foot paths. The first few K were not as bad as I thought. At least it wasn't sticky, 'getting your shoes stuck' type of mud, but we were splashing about a bit. And the country side! Wow, just gorgeous! Of course we looked up when we could! To miss looking at this scenery would have been criminal! I wished I had had my phone with me to take some shots of the route. I didn't want to take the chance of falling over with it!

I must say just now, before I forget again (It's my age you know) I thought I had started my Garmin from when we crossed over the mats, but, as I was wearing gloves, I didn't quite manage to squeeze the start button, and what with the two other ladies running with me, both with Garmins, I thought the beep that I head was mine! So for the first half mile or so (or 5 minutes as it turns out) has not recorded! I was listening out for the Garmin beeps from either S.J. or Janes Garmin.

Now, I'm not sure, (My chronological gene is missing with me), but I think around about 1 and half miles, Jane, our birthday girl, decided it was getting remarkably warm, and so decided to remove a layer. But being a good Pettswood runner, she obviously put her club vest on over the top of her long sleeve jacket! So another first for her was doing a quick change, on the hoof, and swapping over her tops!, and tying her long sleeve around her waist! (she only had two layers on!) And of course a a sports bra!

"Oh good, half way" I said to the last runner marshal, who, as it appears, seems to be someone else! And changed sex, and costume. She was a very lovely marshal, running in a Mrs Santa outfit, with fetching gold flecked net tights! She was very helpful in  not pointing out that we were not quite at the half way mark. I must have been hearing things, or seeing things on my Garmin that are not there!  (another stage of next half centuryitus?) But as we we were heading up a hill (Yes, there is a hill!) in fact it looks a big hill!, is whenwhen S.J. said that we have covered, just about, half the route so far!

The Second Half

I looked at my Garmin, and it showed, 2 point something miles into our run! "Oh darn it" I thought to myself, as I realised I was mistaken half a mile back!  I Tried not to look at the hill, I kept thinking that as long as Jane is running then I must run too! Why I put that on myself I don't know! I can't even use the fact that she is younger than me, well, only by a couple of weeks!, But why don't she want to stop! I did stop for a walk! I couldn't help it. I know, I'm whinging again! But then I looked up and she was walking as well.  I did stop and walk for other sections before I got to here though. But my excuse was that it was muddy, and I didn't want to slip and damage myself (I do have a marathon to run in April)

The hill seemed to go on for ever, all through the woods now! And the woods was wet, and sticky, and slippy. There were hidden hazards underfoot! Leaves covered up rocks protruding from the ground. Sticky huge puddles were the only route through the woods. Footprints two or three inches deep showed where the other runners had been. I have never had so much fun running! I was having a blast. I tried to avoid the puddles, but soon realised that, actually, the safest way was to go straight through the middle! Slowly of course!

For the next two miles all we had to run through was mud. We hadn't actually overtaken anyone up to this point, but in the muddy woods we gained ground. The last marshal sweeper, whose name was Ann by the way, encouraged us all saying "Look, you may be able to over take here ladies" as we saw two other ladies struggling through the mud. That seemed to give all three of us a much needed boost as we gained more ground (read as mud) and eventually caught them up.  S.J. and Jane managed to overtake them before the path became single file only again. We had to go very carefully, the mud was mocking all of us. Just then, one of the ladies that S.J. and Jane had passed fell, I nearly toppled over her!

Ok, so I was on a timer, but I am also a fellow runner. I helped pick her up, and saw that she was ok.....before I over took and her friend! I caught up with my two buddies and we carried on at a steady pace.

In The Zone

These last two miles just felt just so perfect! we were running along in single file and all three of us sound just perfect. Our breathing sounded as if we were just out for a walk, we were going along at a very steady pace, all of us, I felt, in the zone! I couldn't think of a single reason why anyone don't like running! And running in such a great place. The fields, the woods, the Oast houses, the marshaling! The marshals, ever single one of them were smiley and enthusiastic as we ran passed them! What is not to like! These last couple of miles were just perfect.

I hadn't a clue as to where we were, but to me it didn't matter, if there were another couple of miles to do, and they were like this, then I would carry on! I don't think the marshals would be quite smiling then if I had!

We came in to the last few metres, our other club members we standing at the finishing line cheering us all on. We all decided to put on a bit of a sprint to the finish but all finish together!

Great fun, great company, great course and great marshaling by the Maidstone Harriers! We received our gongs, and our goody bag, with Christmas pud and long sleeve shirt, and had our timing chips taken from us. I can't wait to see what my time was for this 6.5 mile course, (my Garmin says 6.05) What more can I say about this morning!

On the way home I just had to say thank you to Singstar Jo who drove me to Ditton, and I had to thank her in the good old Pettswood runners style, with a pint at my local! (she had a pint of diet coke I might add)

Geeky stats, and as soon as I get the official results of todays race I shall post it on here as well.



 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment