Tuesday 4 December 2012

Club Run - Sweeper Duties, Yeah!

Hello blog readers.

Its Tuesday, my cold virus is definately on its last legs, so of course I was eager to meet up with my running club buddies. First of when we all met up was the  discussions about the weekends party! Everyone had a good time at our club Christmas do.

Our usual leader, Illustrious Leader, was feeling a bit under the weather today, so Singstar Jo stepped into the breach and lead Group 1 today. I volunteered to be sweeper, along with CupCake Moy, (she does make these gorgeous cupcakes, mmmm yum!). I actually like being sweeper, I really do. Now don't go on at me about it's because I don't like to run fast, or to be in the front, or even to pick the pace up a bit. That is not why I like to be at the back. But being at the back gives me a chance to encourage others who have just started this crazy, crazy activity that we call jogging! I should be warning them about how addictive it becomes really. How, at somepoint, on one of their crazy jogging sessions they may feel that they can run for 10 miles, or even half a marathon. I do give them some insight as to what may hapen to them when I explain that I am, infact going to be running the London marathon, even though I haven't even ran for 10 miles yet, let along a half! See, Crazy!

But it really does give me tons and tons of pleasure as I jog along with fellow members. It gives me even more motivation to do well in my other jogging sessions because you know that you are going to be asked about how much I run on other days, and how fast etc. Jogging along in group 1, does do me tons of good! I believe, for me personally, leaping up the groups is just not meant to be for me. Here, running in this group at this pace I am doing some good andfeeling useful  which also does me tons of good for keeping going in my longer runs. Win, win situation I would say!

Cupcake Moy and me, and three of the newbies were just keeping up with the usual group 1 runners.  In this evenings route we had a couple of little 'bumps' to contend with. So I thought that by keeping Kay chatting, (she is one of the newbies) then she would breeze up them and not realise she had done them. Simples! She was even talking to me as well, which is a good sign. 

We had our usual amount of 'catchup' stops, but I at one point I did have to get my 'whistle' out as we were getting a little spread out, the regular group 1 members were in the 'zone'. But from that point onwards we all kept pretty much together.

As we headed down Shepperton Road, heading from Crescent Drive Kay said "I have no clue as to where we are" When she said that it reminded me of when I used to  struggle all the way at the back, and I used to think to myself "If I don't keep up I will get lost" And that in itself was motivation for me to keep up. Mind you, Kay is doing so much better that I did when I was a beginner! I used to do unofficial walking sessions, and she still hasn't done that. Even going up all those hills, ooops upside down hills.

We got to Southborough lane, and of course popping out from Crescent Drive we have not got to climb up the hill towards Pettswood, as we are virtually at the crest! We ran towards Pettswood, our destination is the walking bridge, which is through the carpark near the Newsshopper. From there, just on the other side there were two ways to get back to the rec, the longer way or the shorter way. Well, the newcomers felt that they couldn't cope with the extra half mile, so me and CupcakeMoy took them the shorter way and Signstar Jo took the rest up the hill! I mean, along the upside down hill!  There was a newcomer in the group that went the longer way  as well! I'm sure next time, the others will soon be joining them on the little extra loops.

So todays geeky stats for our group 1 today.




No comments:

Post a Comment