Tuesday 11 December 2012

PWR's Are A Tough Bunch!

Hello Blog Lovers.

It's my club night! Do we let a little thing like minus 3 degrees keep us from running around our streets. No! Of course not. We are made of strong stuff.....either that or we really are just one carrot short of a great casserole!

I decided to run to the meeting place this evening as I was by myself, and to be truthful, I really couldn't be bothered with defrosting the car! It seemed easier to just jog along to the club, its only a mile and half a way.

When I got there, all lovely and warmed up, Jogging Hippo saw me. I am afraid I didn't recognise anyone as my glasses were completely steamed up! Talk about soft focus lens, it was that soft focused everyone looked like pink blobs in Lycra! But J.H. said "I got something for you" It was only when I heard his voice that I realised who he was, but I took my glasses off and seeing him up close just to make sure! "Oh yes" I said in response, just as he dived into his pockets and pulled out this red material thing. "What you need is one of these" he said waving this piece of cloth thing at me. No, it wasn't his underpants, it was a buff! I do have some readers of my blogs out there. Well ok, I do make sure I post it all over the place so that it can be reached all over the world! I just thought what a lovely thing that was for him to do. He said he cycles and he finds these buffs just great. they can be worn in all sorts of ways! and for tonight, its going around my neck to keep me warm on my run. Thanks so very much J.H.

So back to the run. Our Illustrious leader wasn't feeling too good again today, and Singstar Jo seems to be kidnapped Leeds at the mo, so Cupcake Moy stepped into the breech and offered to take group 1 leadership. It will be her first time to take the lead role, and I offered to do the sweeping. As I have said before, I really enjoy the sweeper role, and as I have run up to the meet and I have to run back home again, its all good, and it all works out well. Maybe I should be doing that all the time now, hmm, something to think about!

Our route was heading up hill, up to the now re-opened bridge, and a little loop and the head back again, but going straight down to the round about. Kay, one our our new members, said that we would be running passed her house "Don't let me go in" she said But in the new breath she said "Actually I don't think I would do anyway" Don't it make you proud! And be inspired by our new members! as I said to her "You have the bug, I don't think I could force you to go in, even if I thought you needed to" Jane said that she hasn't go the running bug. Poor Jane, does she not realise that being out in the freezing evening just to run for the sheer pleasure of running, then the bug is definitely there. She is in denial of course.

It was a great run today. The newbies are learning that running in freezing conditions is different, its harder work, its energy zapping, it makes you think your have run further than you actually have. This is where the determination kicks in. The dedication, the bloody mindedness. As we took the shorter route to get back to the meeting place we also put the 'guilt' on each other! That is worse than what ever the weather can throw at you.

I said to Jane just after she asked if it was difficult getting back to running if you have a week out. I said "The worse thing about taking time out is the guilt you feel about not running" And Kay said "Oh I don't like guilt"
"Well, don't let me and Jane down then" I said jokingly to her and the she turned it right back and said "Well as long as you keep coming then I shall keep coming" Oh wow, what a total brilliant volley back was that! Now I have to make sure I keep coming every week!

So our geeky stats to, I so wished I had a Garmin with a thermometer. And thanks everyone else for all your advice about how to keep warm on a bike (well apart from the Old Boy, his advice is to ride faster!)



This is the first little jog I did to get to the meeing place.
This is our route today, and also my jog home as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment