Wednesday 12 December 2012

Solo run, On A Wednesday!

Hello blog lovers.

As you can see, I was a lone runner today! The Old Boy seems to have pulled, twisted or tore something in his leg, so decided not to go running with me, or even to go on his bike and tinkle his bell at me!  I was being heavily persuaded not to go running. The Old Boy looked so cosy wrapped up in the blanket, watching t.v. with the dinner already to go into the oven to finish cooking!

But I resisted! It took all my effort to block out the images, of warmth, the smell of the dinner, a delicious cottage pie, wafting to my nostrils! I plugged in my earphones and took off. My route was going to be the usual one, up Southborough to the A21, along there to the Posh house. But this is where it differs slightly, I am going to go straight passed here and run up the next hill to Locksbottom! Well, that was what I was hoping at least. And then from there turn left and head to Crofton, up to the roundabout, left and then follow the road all the way through Pettswood. Again slightly different, just to add the extra minutes that I need to be out running today.

The plan said that I needed to do the interval running (yeah, I know! I still can't do it), but I did count up all the minutes that I should be out doing stuff and it came to 90 minutes. 90 minutes! An hour and a half! Up bloomin hills! I must be crazy! Well, actually we have already established that runners, and cyclists are total crazies. In fact any one out doing their thing in the cold and icy conditions is!

So I started off, gentle of course, (probably going to be gentle all the way round!) My toe doesn't seem to mind at the moment, being constricted in my compressions socks and shoved into trainers. Maybe it has 'toughened up' and is not going to hurt anymore!

The music kept me from thinking about it being cold, (even though it's not as cold as it was yesterday) but these silly earplugs are just no good for my ears! They keep falling out! they are big and round, my ears are not that shape. But I chose these ones as I can answer the phone from the little button attached, and don't need to get undressed to get my phone, Those of you you know me, you know where I keep my phone!) I had to slow down even more that I was just as I turned the corner of my road to put it back again.

It felt strange being out running by myself. I know I did it yesterday, but that was just for about a mile and half, and a mile and half back again. But this is a long run. I wondered if I would be hard on myself, whip myself into a running frenzy, surprise everybody by my running prowess. Yeah right! All I can say is, it's not wonder all the kid have me wrapped around their little fingers!  But, as the lovely ladies said yesterday on our club run, the fact that I am out here, doing it is worthy of praise! Especially as I could so have sat down with the Old Boy and snuggled under my blanket.

I really wasn't that tough on my self. All bark and no bite! I stopped at places I should not have stopped at. Hark at me, I am even calling them stopping now! And having ridiculous excuses as well. To change the song, to put ear phones in, to put the phone in the pocket of the coat, instead of down my bra!

Going up the A21 I stopped (walked) quite a few times. But I had the attitude, 'well you running Old Girl, thats good enough' But by the time I got up to Locksbottom, and half way down Crofton Road, the expletives where just tumbling out. Anyone would think I was on a Turkey run in Ditton! My toe started to bother me again. I was thinking that maybe the nails on toes seem to be a blooming nuisance now! I was imagining the blisters on the tip of my tow getting bigger, and maybe even popping! Eww gross. I don't like feet. Feet and toes. Feet and toes with blisters, ewwww toes with no nails! It just gets worse!

This running malarkey, its not the most glamours sport is it. First of, shoving my feet in what is probably not the most prettiest looking trainers, (well thats what I thought before I became a runner!, now I zone in to asics, feel the weight, check out the colours, the webbing, the sole, everything about it) then folding and pushing as much of my fat ass into a thin, tight pair of long pants, that make you feel as if you are naked. And the tops, the layers that I have on! But at least they are in pink! Top that with a luminous fluorescent woolly hat. Its not catwalk material. And I certainly don't look like I did when I appeared in 'Women's Running' magazine.

I was really cross with my self from Pettswood until I got home. But I still didn't move as fast as I should have done. There were a few good tunes on my Iphone library which kept me totally focused and my pacing out to one tune was just perfect! I think it was Scissors Sisters! Another one I can remember running along to was Chris Rea's Julia! But My constant stopping going down Southborough Lane had me saying quite loudly "Get a move on, you lazy mare" I was just so glad there was no one in front of me, just in case they thought I was talking to them!

I was quite pleased I got to the 'road that I never stop on'. Because I have really disciplined my self to run the whole of this, no matter what state I am in! I ignored the throbbing from my toe, ignored my tired complaining legs, and just looked at the pretty lights, concentrated on my music, thought about Christmas, thought about my mum! Before long I was heading up my path, as fast as I could at that time!

Geeky stats


No comments:

Post a Comment