Tuesday 10 July 2012

Mad Dogs And Englishmen, Go Out In The.....Rain!

Hello blog lovers!
How about our lovely British summertime eh? Me and my family had a pleasant weekend away in sunny Weymouth, just a couple of days ago. You may have seen it on the news, flash floods in Burton Bradstock, our caravan site was flooded, even, and this may seem incredible, the swimming pool on our site!

So you can image what we had to do to keep ourselves amused, and that was to hit the bar! There is a lot of extra over indulgence that I need to run over! It rained again before I left the house, the Old Boy was already out on his bike ride. I can imagine he was pretty soaked, if it wasn't for him being out, I think I would have probably stayed in! He inspired me to go out today, at least I was only going to be doing 3 and half to 4 miles this evening. By the time I got to the meeting place it had started again! With thunder! It was too late to go home, I was spotted! I just have to tough it out, I hate running first off in the rain, I don't mind once I have started and then the rain comes, but cold, straight off, nahhhh, don't like it!

When I got to the recreation ground there were people on the bowls green, in white rain coats, and also there were people playing tennis on the courts! At least 50 PWR's turned up to run as well. Are we all totally crazy!
Our Illustrious leader was not here this week, we had someone else to lead us, you may remember him from one of my other blogs. He was the the one that got lost and took a short cut to the second drinks station on our club Midsummer (ha ha) Eve run! Jonathon! But when he told us the route, at least I knew that I would be able to get us all back if he got lost ha ha.

We had our soaking, we had our chats, and now just as we start our running the rain stops! Typical. "There is only one bit of off road this evening" Says Jonathon. I can imagine its going to be a bit puddley (is there such a word as that?) The part behind Crofton School, just at the edge of the woods, next to the little stream, The Kidbrook. Yup, its going to be a bit puddley.

I kept up okish, until this bit of path, and then I went all 'girly' and 'Ewwed' and 'Yucked' my way on the path! We had a little stop about half way up, under the trees, by now my raincoat was off, it was quite muggy out, and my glasses were steaming up!

Then on for the next bit. We soon popped out of the woods and headed for Crofton lane. It was all down hill from there. I was still at the back of the pack until we got to the top of the road, before turning left. I love the down hill part, after we all regrouped I kept in front. There were only 6 of us in group 1 this evening, and me and two others were leading, Jonathon was sweeping. We knew our way, and would take another regroup at the next roundabout before we crossed over the bridge.

From there I found myself really pacing a little faster than I usually do! it was all down hill still, but I was slightly ahead of the other two! I was leading!  Can you believe that! But now St. Johns road coming up next and that is a slight hill! I knew I would flag a bit here. But I was determined to get up it.  I kept on going, I could hear the others getting nearer as I started to slow down. I think I was trying to get up it as if I was on a bike! You know, use the momentum of speed to get most of the way up the hill! But it don't work that with running! The momentum doesn't happen! But I think I got almost at the top before I stopped running! Even the others said "Well done Old girl"

But then I was at the back again, Not far to go to the end. The rain started up again. I was not going to stop and put my jacket back on, I was just going to go for it, get wet, and then get home. With a smug look on my face! "Yes, weather, I beat you again, you couldn't make us leave our caravan, and you couldn't keep me and the Old Boy from doing our thing"

3.82 miles, in the rain, well the last part was in the rain, and the getting out of the car, standing outside the pavilion for 10 minutes was in the rain!

Geeky stats.







2 comments:

  1. Haa haa, the group I was in was catching you up slowly in St Johns Wood Road and I could see you with your orange jacket around your waist. I was shouting after you but it was just that little too far away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was probably in 'the zone' and wouldnt have heard you anyway he he he

      Delete