Tuesday 17 July 2012

Blood and Mud and Determination!

Hello blog lovers.

Today was a club run. It was a great run too. First of I must mention our Kit man Mike and our other coach Liz, who have started a new beginners group again today. Between them, over an 8 week period they help and encourage to complete beginners from couch to 5k! And when me and Nagging Sister got to the rec this evening it was such an awesome site! 33 beginners, all wanting to run, get fit and have fun doing it! Including Nagging sisters friend, who was dead scared that she wouldn't even be able to run for 30 secs without the paramedics being called for, but when we arrived at the rec, there she was jogging around the field! So well done Mike and Liz!

In our group 1 today we had some newbies and some of the last beginners group that have come to join us in the club! Our ranks are swelling! Our Illustrious Leader gave us the option of going through the woods or pounding pavements. Apparently I was one of the loudest opting for the woods! (so apparently I'm to blame!)

We set off on our way. We are going to be covering the route of our annual  mob match with the Orpies. So its good that we can show the newbies and any of the others that have joined recently what the route looks like.

Of course you all know what the weather has been like! Rain, and a little bit more rain, and then we really had some rain! But today we had.......sunshine, for a very short while, and it has been overcast, with just a very slight 'spitting' action from the skies. But it has not been enough to dry up all the muddy puddles! We didn't really think it would actually. But one of our other coaches said he had been through the woods and his trainers were nice and clean! He obviously didn't do the mob match route!

We were like dancing ballerinas, with a grand jeté over every puddle and muddy hole there was. So graceful as we squelched our way through! Who's idea was this anyway. There were obstacles to negotiate and nettles to avoid, and prickly plants to swerve by! Unfortunately we did have an injury, and there was blood! It was me! I managed to get caught by one of the prickly twigs, but like a true trooper and dedicated Pettswood runner, I carried on running, here, this is my injury, and my very muddy shoes! Now I am a true runner!




I had no idea what the newbies were thinking. It is a little different running around a field and running through the woods, but as Nagging Sister says, you don't even notice the miles when you are running in the woods! It's just all to lovely and perfect to notice the running.

We got through the woods, the next bit was on the pavements until we get back to our meeting point. We did have the hill to get up. The hill, just a short one, but whenever I have run this route before I always stop half way up! But today, I was talking to Sue, our group 1 Marathoner, and I just kept going up it! I got to the top, and she said "There you go, you did it" at which point I promptly stopped running to give myself a pat on the back! But I did do it, and then I got to running again, to meet up with the others who were waiting at the top of the road to turn left for the last leg of our run.

Heading to the park we slowly split the group, the main body of people running with Mike now, as he took over the lead, and our illustrious leader was doing the sweeper role. I was kind of inbetween these two sets of people. Which put me in a very good position for doing 'on the run mashalling' as I directed a couple of the newbie ladies as to which way we were running. I knew I had a purpose in Group 1!

I did my sprint bit after I had pointed the way to the ladies behind me, who were in front of our Illustrious Leader. Just as well I didn't sprint before, because we entered the park on an uphill section and went in a different entrance. But by then, some of the other groups had arrived back, so I had to look really good. I put on a fast sprint! and I'm sure it was slightly down hill as well, I was flying home! Mr S. said "Blimey, I didn't know the Old Girl could run!" praise indeed from him, as he does these amazing runs of up to 100 miles at a time!

Geeky stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment