Saturday 2 October 2010

Why Do I Keep On Doing It!

Hi blog readers.

Well I had a blinding night out last night, yet still naggy and me went for a run this morning.

The old boy said to me that I can't go on living a double life! Its either, going out and boozing or treating my body like a temple! I think I know what he means. My head hurts this morning after our girls night out. Naggys head doesn't! She is a designated driver! And she has no sympathy for us lager louts!

Naggy gave me an hours grace to get my woolly head together, I so needed that. I tried to re-hydrate myself with tea, put some energy inside me with a banana, and then try to put a smile on my face by looking out at the lovey sunshine that we will be running in.

"6 miles we are doing today" Naggy informs me. Now I was prepared for something like this, but still, .....6 miles with a beer head on! Not good. We head off in the direction of the park, at least I know I can do that bit, its familiar territory. By the time we get through the park and heading for the A21 my jacket is off. I am running in my old joggers, the ones with 'Athletic' written across the backside. I do not like running in this anymore, not after running in my proper joggers. These are uncomfortable and the legs are flapping around my ankles. I must invest in another proper pair of joggers! I am already finding 'reasons' why I am not going to do so well on this run! Anything, copious amounts of alcohol, wrong joggers, too early, too bright, too cold! I wish I was back in my bed!

As we got to the roundabout I was expecting to turn right and head on towards PettsWood, but Naggy crossed over and started heading towards Bromley! Now this is new territory for me! I am not liking the thought that we are heading further away from home. We have only jogged 2 1/2 miles so far, and yet I feel worn out, and my hangover is reminding me its still very much here for the day!

We pass loads of right turns that will take us on the homeward bound, and she is still heading up towards Bromley. Naggy has my water now, she knows that I have a little walk while I retrieve my water bottle from my bum bag! She has me sussed. So now I have to keep up with her just so that I can keep hydrated on the run. "How far are we going" I said in dismay after we passed yet another road, "I am not saying, just in case you stop running" she says.

Just a little further then she says "Ok, we are turning right here at the dripping tap" I could have kissed her if she was within reach. At least now I know that we should be on our way home. But then she said, "When we get passed Tescos, there is a short but steep hill, I WANT YOU TO RUN IT ALL" OH MY WORD, I now remember the hill. I had to ride up this on my bike once, but the thought of running up it after doing three miles already is just a tortuouse thought! Naggy did say that she will allow me an official stop at the top of it. Of course her stops are just about 5 seconds long, even after going up that hill.

All too long we got there, Tescos to my left, and that hill just around the corner. I am not looking forward to it. "Head up, arms up, use them to get up the hill, all the way to the top" This hill is a killer! I am crying out, gasps of my precious breath escaping, running all the way to the top. Did I stop? Did I stop? I don't know, Is this the top of the hill? I am leaning on the lamppost now, on the other side of the road. I can't even remember crossing the road! That's how intense this hill was. Yen naggy said "No stopping, walk yes, but NO STOPPING" She looked absolutely furious that I was leaning on this lamppost, trying to keep my stomach from spilling on the floor" So I walked, I walked at little bit more and a bit more after that, and then started running again. "At least that will keep her happy" I said, glaring at the back of her head.

I know I walked some more and ran quite a bit of it too, but when we got to Southborough lane, as we were nearing turnings that would take us to our homes, naggy said "Lets do a deal, No more stopping from now and we will go through the park, the shorter route" The shorter route!! I was hoping that was what was planned anyway, she obviously wanted to go up the road and go to Oxhawth Crescent, or maybe even into Pettswood itself! I would have agreed to anything she suggested at that time, just to get home real quick now is what I wanted. "Yes yes no problem" I just used this little bit of the road to get my breath under control again. My legs were hurting like mad now, my head is getting even more woolly, I just want to get home and shower, and sleep for a week!

As soon as the decision was made we started jogging again. We crossed the road and headed for the park. Parkfield Road was a blur, I can't remember jogging down here, and then we entered the park. The mantra running through my mind is 'I can run this, I can run this, I can run this' with each step keeping time, concentrating on nothing more than getting home. I knew there wasn't going to be any records time wise on this run, but just that fact that I did it should sit well with me.

Through the park now, just at the gate, I slow for a two step walk before I remembered my promise to naggy 'Run all the way' and I started running again. Turning now on to the last long road. My house is at the end of here somewhere, just down there. Just this last bit. Naggy is keeping the encouragement going, "You're doing well, keep this pace going" I even tried to speed up a little, just to get it over and done with. But there was nothing left. Only will power now keeping me moving, only the fact that my house is at the top of this road, around the corner, and it is not going to come to me! Only the fact that its just not a good idea to sit on the kerb and not go home, this is what is keeping me going.

My turning now, my road, my house, just up here! Oh my word, I ache. Naggy looks as glamorous as she did last night as we run up the path to her house. I look like a sweaty, wet, pink, puffing, blob as we get to the house.

1 hour and 14 minutes that, that, .......very good friend of mine had me running for. 5.6 miles was what we covered. An average of 13 minute miles. Not the fastest by any means, but boy am I glad its over.

Walking out those miles we spot our neighbour coming out of her house and she took one look at me and said "You don't look as if you are having fun" How so very true is that, but, but, I am so very glad I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment