Sunday 23 September 2018

Beginners Week 2

Hello blog readers.

Yesterday was the second week of the beginners autumn course.  And it looked like it was a full house with yet more people starting!  Oh I do love, love, love doing these courses with all the new people that want to improve their health and fitness.

There are all sorts of people that turn up to our course, as PastorPaul said today at church, "There are fast runners, little runners, older runners", he said that last one while looking at his wife, she has come along too!  I expect she will get him back later for that!  But it is true, as long as people are as fit as they can be, maybe even check in with the docs to let them know what they are planning to do, then it's all good.  For a start, we don't speed off, we do everything slowly slowly, building it up just a minute at a time while people get used to it!  Encouraging them to do homework too, so they are not just doing it once a week.  It really does help, it gets your lungs working,  your legs working,  work on the breathing as you are running!

I took them through the walking,
This is the walking bit.
the drills and then the running.  It's interesting listening to all the budding athletes as they try and convince themselves that they 'can't do it' and then they are thrilled to bits when they find that the 'can do it!'  The great thing about the beginners course is that nearly all the people that turn up are complete beginners with only a few people that just need a bit of confidence building getting back into running.  Because everybody is virtually starting out from scratch everybody is feeling and thinking the same thing.  Everyone will be growing in confidence at the same time and so help each other along as we run around the rec.  When we had finished the session and were stretching out, I believe everyone had a smile on their face!  Honest, I am not joking!  I think this autumn group will all be getting to Normans park in a few weeks time!
This is the running bit

I think I managed to remember everything this time, although again, I forgot to thank the wonderful PWR's who turn up each week to help out with this course.  They truly are invaluable.  I managed to run just over a mile and a half, talking to people and keeping an eye on my watch, well I didn't want to go over the 2 minutes of running..........or did I!

I thoroughly enjoyed week 2 and look forward to the next time I am running with them all!


No comments:

Post a Comment