Tuesday 18 September 2018

Club Run - Group 2 plus Monday!

Hello blog readers.

Yes I did go running on Monday!  Well, it was more doing Homework with one of the beginners, well to be precise it was with PastorPaul.  He joined the beginners on Saturday and really enjoyed it.  It was so enthusiastic about it when he got home that Pat, his wife, decided to join him just to support him in his new venture of running!  We also had Janet as well.  She came along just to see if it was something that she could do too.  It was amazing. 

I was late getting to the Parkfield rec, blimmin traffic down Southborough lane due to all sorts of leaks and holes that were happening down there. Grrr, but I won't go on about that, Anyway, it made it a bit late for getting a 6 o'clock start.  Luckily they had already done a warm up lap of the park before I got there.  We went straight into drills.  They certainly wasn't shy about doing it in our local park, which is good!  Just show everyone what we are doing, getting fitter and healthier....for free!

It was soon ready to do the running reps, 1 minute of running with 5 minutes of walking briskly!  Pat hasn't really done any running at all for......well I don't know actually, I shall have to ask her.  An Janet says that she really hasn't been as active as she should be.  As I am sure you can appreciate, if you have never run before, for a set time, it can be very hard, very daunting and can get you in a bit of a pickle with you mind! Your mind can really put the mockers on your training plans!  Which is why, we are PWR do things slowly and at the pace that you yourself chose to do.  Pat surprised herself with the fact that not only did she run for 1 minute non stop, but that she did it four more times after that!  Janet did struggle with the running.  But instead of running she did a brisker walk each time.  It's the way forward, slowly, slowly will get you there quicker!  I think that is going to be my moto for a while with the beginners!

We finished the running with cool down stretches and playing with the most loveliest little dog in the park!  So playful.


Club Run

I wasn't leading this week. How strange it feels!  But I am still trying to improve my running, trying to get a bit faster than I have of late, so group 2 it was for me!  Sarah was leading this week and she had a hilly or I should say undulating!  When she gave out her route details I didn't quite grasp what the undulations were. I had heard St Johns Road and Beaumont road, but getting to these roads were a few cheeky little hills!

I was looking forward to this run, I missed out last week due to my sons birthday meal, and very nice it was too!  And I didn't go out for a solo run on Sunday, why? Well, it was another food related reason, my church friends all went out for Sunday dinner, at the Thai Moom!  Anyway, I was in need of a good run.  The hills will help me burn off all the naughty niceties I have had over the past week!  

The first road we were faced with was Wood Rise, the hill that I take the beginners up when we go out on to the streets in week 6!  Of course I hadn't really warmed up, I drove to the rec, I didn't do any drills, I just drove, drove to the rec picking up Ade and Tracy on the way!  So facing that hill with cold legs, although to be honest I was feeling quite warm really, is probably not the best thing to do.  But up the hill we went,  Tracy seemed to thunder up the hill, I flagged some on the way, I did actually try and blag the job of sweeping, but IllustriousLeader and Selena had that covered.  I must stop trying to look for a comfort blanket in group 2 and do some running!

I was trying to keep up with Tracy as we ran up the hill, I have no idea what she has been eating lately but she is on fire, getting up the hill non stop running! I was really flagging getting up there and had to do some brisk walking!  Eventually I get my groove on and start to do some running.  I leave the comfort blanket of the sweepers to move up to the middle section.  I manage to stay in the middle of the group for the rest of the run.  It was one word answer when I was running, but that's good.  If I am going to improve this is what I need to do.

The route had some little ups and downs, including running down Cardiac Hill, that is always a bonus and puts a smile of many PWR's faces!  It puts a big smile on my face anyway!  I really started to get into my stride although I never really got further than the middle of the pack  There were about 15 of us in group 2 today, so quite a nice sized group.  Once we had done a big loop and were running back down Kingsway towards Crossways, I did manage to run at the same pace as Sarah.  And like all good leaders, when we got to Crossways she let us off, sprinting at our pace to the rec.  There were two people in front of me sprinting, I pick up my pace to try and chase them down, I didn't think I would catch them but it was a good incentive to keep going.  Then I heard some footsteps behind, I knew the person behind me was chasing me down!  I picked up my pace a little bit more to try and keep who ever it was behind me.  Her breathing got closer and closer, the footsteps were just behind me.  The occasional "huh!" was heard as she got besides me and then over took me!  It was young Ukulele Holly!  I didn't mind that so much, I am so much older than her!

A brilliant run thoroughly enjoyed it!  Yup, group 2 is my group now, except when I am leading my favourite group! 

Geeky stats.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment