Sunday 9 September 2018

Parkrun - Solo run, Hello Mojo?

Hello blog readers

Two runs to blog today.  Yesterdays and todays!  Lets get started.  It was parkrun day yesterday of course I was up and ready to do my fav parkrun.  This will be the last parkrun for me for a while, with maybe one or two squeezed in for a brill reason, which if I can get to these parkruns I will tell you about.  Our beginners course starts next Saturday and I'm really excited about it!  From reports at the top there is quite an interest this term, with some other PWR's that have been busy recruiting to the run up which should have a great class this time.

Naggyneighbour was driving us this morning, we drove and picked up Tracy, although it must have been way to early because Tracy didn't recognise me sitting in the passenger seat!  We drove to Normans Park and then walked over to the start, meeting up with our friends as we did.  There were the usual messages to give out, mile stone runs to cheer on and the health and safety rules to be read out.  Then we were off.  Tracy said that she wanted to keep me in her sights, but the way she has been running lately it could quite easily be the other way round!  But I stayed focused, J.J. was walking with Janet this morning, Naggyneighbour was nagging.......encouraging.......oo I have forgotten who she was helping to pace yesterday but anyway she was with her.  Carole and Michael were, well, those two are just on fire!  They longer start at the back with us minions they are are the front looking for that every elusive PB.  And so many more of my running buddies, well this is PWR's first parkrun!

When we started I just ran, not really thinking about pace, I just wanted to do the best I can.  I saw Auriol in front of me and I thought about keeping her in my sight.  So I made sure that she was too far ahead, but also that I wasn't speeding off to quickly, i know that I usually flag way to early if I go too fast.  As I was running along I was thinking about the track session that I had been too.  I was thinking about my stride, making sure that I wasn't over striding and also I was thinking about the two miles I had covered. So, as I do, I decided to just try something,  Run until my Garmin had a zero or a five at the end and then walk for a minute.  But try and do some quality running as instead of trying to beat a pb, just do some steady running. 

With keeping Auriol in my sights I ran for five minutes and then took a break of a minute.  I had caught up to Auriol by then and we kept each other company for a while.  We seemed to pace each other, over taking each other, running next to each other.  It seem to be working.  I had no idea if I was running faster, but I did feel like it.  I decided next week, which will have to be a solo run on a Sunday, I will up the running, I will have to use my Garmin to remind me then,  as it will mean calculating!  Auriols running/walking seemed to fit in with mine too, so we stayed together for some of the second round.  But then she walked before the time was up and I carried on.  She said "Old Girl, you're on fire!"  Oh but I really wasn't!  I so wanted to walk with her, but I need discipline and I nagged myself and kept it going!  The thing is Auriol by than had really warmed up and she started running at her pace, which is faster than mine!  Even though she did a bit of walking I couldn't catch up with her.

The last little straight to do, and I really was feeling knackered.  I am sure I felt a little bit sick too, but I ignored it.  I pushed through that feeling and I must have looked pretty grim.  A lovely young lady started talking to me, "Come on, we're nearly there"  I looked at her and saw a lovely smile.  She's right, it's not that far, I just gotta keep going, and remember....this is fun!  The sweat was pouring down my face and Abi (the lovely young lady) kept encouraging me all the way.  I feel she may have heard me doing that moaning a groaning bit that you do, when you feel like giving up, so it really was nice to have a friendly runner next to me at that precise moment.

I finished, not with my fastest time this year, but thankfully still under 40 minutes, which I was quite pleased with!  I would have had to do some arse whooping if it was anything over that!

Here's my geeky stats.


Solo Sunday.

And so to today.  Again I had that nasty little running angel on one shoulder and the nice little one on the other shoulder.  The naughty angel helped me to keep things quiet.  I didn't put on facebook, I didn't tell anyone at church this morning, there wasn't anyone that I told that I was going to do a solo run.  Just in case....just in case I didn't actually go out and do it.  The good angel sitting on the other side just kept saying, "you can do this, you know you can, just use one of the old fav routes"  I knew I should do it, I knew I could do it!  The few biscuits that I had at church and a nice little chocolate swish roll were sitting in my tummy. I of course thought that I shouldn't be going running.

But in the end I just pulled myself up out of my chair and got changed.  It was almost as if I had got hold of the scruff of my neck and yanked myself up the stairs to go changed.  I was still procrastinating when the Old Boy came home from work.  Maybe he will need me to do something (I think that was the naughty angel whispering in my ear)  I know temptation was there to keep me from running.  My fav biscuits on the table, my fav chicken flavour crisps and a cup of tea on offer.  But no, I got out of the door and started running.

My legs weren't feeling too bad,  they certainly feel like they have done some work these past couple of days, but I still wasn't going to push it!   I was glad I wasn't going to push it, because by the time I got on to Farringdon my the lead started to pour in my legs.  Ok, so there it is, mojo struggling like crazy to get my fat ass out of the door,  two angels on my shoulders and lead legs.  Oh, and an appoint to see my psychiatrist about the apparitions of angels and chasing a real mojo!  The thing that made this run different from all the rest is that I had my music blaring in my ears.  Yes, I know I usually run with my music, but this time I am using my new earphones.  The ones that cost me just a tad more than I would every dream of paying for usually.  It's my super duper, block out all the noise, in ear, specially made for me, earphones.  I hadn't run with them before, I had used them for the dentist to block out noise and them talking about all the work that I needed on my teeth, but as for a run, not this was the first.  
Look at that, it's pink and its glittery!

I was quite impressed with my earphones, ok so the sound quality is not as brilliant as some that are out on the market, but these ones stayed in my ears, so at least I can hear every song all the way through without having to pick up one or other earphone that dangles around my neck when it falls out.  My tunes got me all the way around.....most of the route.  Up to Turpington Lane, and then Greenway.  I was just concentrating again on what PhysioMiketheMod had told me about my stride, shorten it up a bit, as well as keep my head up, breath, keep it steady, don't think about how tired I was.  Then came on a 'bangin' tune,  just as I was taking a walk actually, I smiled and waited, listening to the intro, it's coming, it's coming that drum solo and 'boom'!  I actually did the whole air drumming as it came on!  I had a smile on face and I started running just after I did my air drumming act!  There was a bus just in front of me, heavens knows if he saw me!

I had some good tunes coming through my 'phones, I just wished I could remember them all to tell you, I can't even look at my Ipod to look back as its gone loopy and I can't see the screen.  Thankfully I can hear the music that's on there!

I was coming down Southborough Lane when a tune came on, it stopped me in my tracks, literally.  I just started to cry then, remembering why I am actually running!  The reason why am running.  The tune was Ill divo, Mama!  We had this song at my mums funeral.  I walked as I listened to the words and I cried, hard.  Just then, before the end, the music finished!  My battery had ran out!  I was annoyed and my tears stopped immediately, I also started to run again!  Just at that point I thought about my mum, what she would have said. "What are you doing, no need to cry"  Well, I am sure she would have said that!  She would deffo have said "What are you doing"  that's for sure!

I ran the rest of the way home in silence, with my earphones out, they do block out so much noise, I thought I had better take them out!  I was also on the road that I dare not not stop running too!  The thing is.....I did!  I was so annoyed with myself!  Next time, next time I will not be stopping on that road.  It's only because this is my first solo run for, I don't know, fecking ages, that I won't be as hard on my self.

My geeky stats I will put up tomorrow if you are interested.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment