Thursday 13 November 2014

Thursday Road and Trrack

Hello blog lovers.

Today I decided that we would not go through the woods "Really Old Girl?" I can hear you all say.  Yes, really.  I know that when we go through the woods we have to pick our way over the puddles and muddy bits, and it slows our pace down a bit.  So I thought for a change we would hit the pavements but still enjoy some of the lovely green stuff to run through, so the Cinder Path was our destination.

I noticed that Auriol had new shoes, and then a thought came to me, "I bet they are trail shoes"  Guess what, they were!  So when I told her that we were going to hit the pavements she was a bit disappointed, but Sonia, who has come along for the first time on a Thursday Session, was quite pleased, and decided to come with me instead of with DiscoRich.  But Auriol said that she couldn't run on the pavements with her new shoes.

As it was only the three of us I came up with a plan, and that was to jump into her car and drive to hers and then start the run from there and end up at the rec!  Simples!  So that's what we did.  I hate to leave anyone out.  Usual nine out of ten times I am going into the woods, and Auriol knows that too, just this day it was the 1 day I didn't go!

I still kept the same sort of route, along the road until we got to Sherpperton and then we ran along there until the little path, the little Cinder Path.  I was also going to do the little loop around the estate when we get to the end of the path.  I have never actually done this bit before.  So this is going to be a first.  I often listen to the group 1 members talking about the lovely houses, so it's good to see it with my own eyes.

It seemed a lot longer than I imaged, and at one point I thought that maybe we had actually started to go around the estate again!  But we hadn't and the very next road was the one that we came down to do the loop.  After that we were going to run along Crofton Road until we got to Tudor Way.  But then Auriol said that there is a nicer way through the estate, still on the roads but not the main road, so less traffic.

We came out just the the little round about along Crofton and then we ran the rest of the way to the rec!  Do you know, we covered nearly 4 miles on this run!  Maybe we should have just ran around the rec to make it up!  But, we did see DiscoRich and his group come in the same time as us!  A terrific run!


Track Session

Track session is a totally different animal than all the other running I do, whether it's solo running, leading group zero2hero or running along in group 1 runs.  Track session is all about how much I can push myself, and if I wasn't to push myself.  It's all about giving that little bit more, all in the confinement of the track, with delightful coaches to help, Helen and PhysioMike and encourage us and the other victims.......ooops runners to encourage on the way round.

After the warm up we had a 15 minute tempo run, which was twice around the track and then out into the carpark, out of the park and head up to the pub!  So much for the confinement of the track, and the safety blanket 'feel' of staying on the track!  But everybody is doing that, and running towards Hayes, but when Mike blew the whistle (he was in his car so that he could keep an eye on everyone) after 7.30 minutes then we were to turn around and run back.  There will be some people that will get to the pub, and then their will be others, (me) who will get about 10 yards out of the gate!  But if we all keep to the same pace then we should all get back to the beginning at the same time!  Genius!

After a 90 second break (I chose to use my 90 seconds for a 'potty' break) then we went into the brutal, evil, hear pounding, blood pumping, sweat inducing fast runs.  4 lots of 3 minutes fast running!  The second one I really pushed hard, in fact I pushed that hard I started to feel just a tad nauseous, so decided to just slow the pace down a bit!  

The last one had me thinking "What a ridiculous thing to be doing at my age, I should go find my knitting needles!"  But the session hadn't finished at that, oh no.  Our coaches had us back around the track and out of the gate again for another 15 minute tempo run!  I think I failed to run the last 40 or so seconds of this, and I also did do a bit of walking!  My tag for 'rubbish runner' still intact, all though there are at least three people trying desperately to walk away with my crown!  But they know!  I am the queen!!  (it's a bit of an 'in joke)

I am totally loving this sessions.  I feel sure that they will help improve my fitness and stamina, and to totally surpress my 'common sense' gene.  I remember the first time doing track sessions and feeling totally inadaquate.  And I was there totally focussed on doing well in the marathon 2013.  I felt they were a necessary evil.  But this time round I am here and I have no race to train for, totally doing this for little old me!

Totally focused on what I can do for me, how hard I can push myself, and how much I can get out of these sessions, which PhyisoMike and Hels coach together.  Standing around in the cold, keeping their expert eyes on us, giving tips and encourgement and advice!  All for the love of it!  That's why I love coming to these sessions!  Bring on next weeks!

Geeky stats, although why I did it when I didn't have my HRM on I don't know! Still, it shows how much distance I covered  in the time we had!


No comments:

Post a Comment