Tuesday 11 March 2014

Write One, Get Two Free!

Hello blog lovers.

I guess you're wondering about the title. well, that is because this blog will have three runs inside! Yes that's right three!

Solo Run

The first one is one that I did yesterday.  It was a solo run.  I had a really busy day planned, and I knew by the end of the day, I just wouldn't be in the mood for running, so I decided that first thing in the morning would be a good time. 

I tried to get up real early for me, well, as early as I can get when I have no kids due to arrive in the morning.  I went on my usual Turpington, Green Lane turn around.  I don't know what it is, but I really didn't do very well at all yesterday.  I was slow, real slow! I was actually talking out loud "Oh for goodness you lazy bloomin mare, get a move on" as I was walking on Southborough lane on the way back!

My breathing was all over the place, my pace was way off, I had my music playing in my ears, and I kept changing the tunes to so real upbeat tempos to keep me going!  But nothing seemed to work.  I guess some days you just don't run so good!

That's all I am going to say about that run.  so here is geeky stats, and you can see just how slow I was, but, as I always tell people, at least I am out there doing it!  I deffo ran faster than those couch spuds, that's for sure!

Group 0

And so to todays runs.  In group zero to hero we had 6 hero's!  And today was a pretty good run!  Everyone was doing blooming brilliantly.  Peter helped me today, heading up with the faster runner among us.  And he really helped to put her through her paces today, covering about 3 miles, with the little extra bits that he took her on!

JJ and Denise where in the middle of the group today, and were doing so very well.  I can see those two easing back into group 1, and they wont even notice the extra distance! Wendi and Victoria were running just behind them, and today Wendi bought her mojo along! After last weeks tough run for her, she had a brilliant run today.

I was running along with Julia and she is making progress every week! I think though I shall have to put blinkers on her though, because when she sees a hill she starts thinking as I do! "Blimey I can't do that"  I know how difficult it can be when you look up an see the hills. It's foreboding, it's demoralising, it's energy sapping just looking at it! These are all the things I still feel when I am faced with hills!

I heard her expel another big breath as she catches site of the next hill.   I tell her "Just look at the ground, keep your head up but eyes just in front of you on the ground" I am looking up ahead for her, what can I use to keep her motivated.  The drive ways.  That way she can just run along with her eyes not taking in the inclines but just to the side of as we pass each driveway.  They are such a motivation, as there are lots of them.  Unlike the lampposts which seem to be far apart, the driveways come thick and fast.  Each one just a short distance away from the next, your passing each one and gainer on the other runners!

This running malarkey is deffo mental as well as physical (something that I have to teach myself too when I am running on my own!

But todays group 0 run was a great run, I am very privileged to be able to lead this group, watching all the improver's to get up to speed, or gain their confidence or get back to fitness after injuries!  I am very pleased that the group of ladies in group 1 suggested that I could be a candidate for becoming a LiRF!

Geeky stats for Group Zero to Hero!


Group 1

Group 1 today was lead by Sherry.  Sherry is busy training for the London Marathon.  It's not that long to go now, and it's a very exciting time!  She had been on a 16 miler at the weekend and so when she said that she is going on a flatish route I gave a sigh of relief!  That is until she said "We are going up Birchwood...." Well, its a kind of non hilly, hilly route!  I'm not sure this makes sense, but its a phrase that we came up after SingstarJo took us on a 'flat route' which turned out to have a number of inclines!

I chose to be sweeper again, as usual, as I needed to be at the back! Running at group 1 pace usually gets me lungs working really well! My cough becomes a bloomin nuisance and ....well, it's best I stay at the back!  Illustrious Leader was also sweeper with me, keeping me motivated! 

The chill was back in the air, and my hands was starting to get cold.  I wished I had bought my gloves along.  The weather has been quite extraordinary, with the temperatures reaching has high as 16 during the last couple of days, giving us glimpses of things to come, but now this chill to remind us that it is still only March!

Running up Birchwood Avenune again is quite, well, frustrating is probably too strong a word, but along those lines.  I couldn't keep up with them all, and I had to slow down to a walking pace.  I was think that maybe Sherry was going quite fast, in spite of her 16 miles, but when I looked at my Garmin, I wasn't even running at 12 min mile! 

But I managed to keep up with them, for most of the way round, at least I wasn't a million miles behind them, but then a few hardy souls were sent on a couple of loop backs! I even found a little bit left inside to do a bit of a 'Mighty Moosh Special' and put on a bit of sprint up Crossways to the gate!

I really enjoyed being out running.  Even though I am finding it tough these days, (could be or more likely to be, that I need to lose some weight!).  I am sure I will be back on form at some point! That I am sure of!

Here's the geeky stats for Group 1



 

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget you've been ill too, so that's bound to affect your running.

    ReplyDelete