Sunday 3 March 2013

When to Run?!

Hello blog lovers.

Today I needed to do more than a 3 miler jog. I need to keep building in some quality running, over longer distances. But today I just didn't know when to do my run! Could I get up really early and get in 6 or 7 miles before church? No, of course not! I'm far too lazy for that. Well, maybe I could fit it in after I have played guitar at another church that I had promised to do. Well, that wouldn't be very motivational. After all, it will be dark and maybe a bit chillier, and also, I didn't want to run around in the dark by myself.  I am just not that tough on myself when I do.

So I had to try and squeeze it in between the two church services today. It will be ok. Straight out of church, quick change at home, run for 6 or 7 miles, back, shower, change (obviously) and then off to the next church service! Sorted.

Now that I had my agenda for the day I got out of bed and got ready for the first on my list of to do's.  As I was leaving I saw Naggy Neighbour doing chores in the garden.  "Hey, how do you fancy doing a run later, take you away from all these chores and stuff?" I asked her. And without hesitation she said yes.  I was pleased that I was going to have some company. 

Ok, so I wasn't clock watching, but I was very quick to pack away this morning. On the way home I stopped off at Smarty Pants house to see if she wanted to come along with us. But she was looking totally glamorous and waiting for her cousin to come round! Oh well. Next time!

I got changed as quick as I could, and rushed over to N.N's house. She was ready, and looking forward to it. We wasted no time at all and set our Garmins and we were off!  We were chatting away, discussing the route, putting the world to rights and generally having a great time.

I kept an eye on my Garmin, I noticed that I was going faster than I will be going in the marathon, but I was feeling good, so I just kept on going. For two miles I was going faster than my marathon pace, and the third mile I was going faster as well, which surprised me!  Naggy Neighbour said "Keep going, do three miles before you have a stop" The third mile starts up the hill! I didn't know if I could keep the pace going until then. Which is why I was surprised!

N.N. was ahead of me attacking the hill. I was trailing behind her, I knew I was going to be slower on this mile. I was looking forward to my Garmin beeping at me to indicate the third mile. When it did beep I think N.N.'s Garmin alerted her too, as she turned around and said "Keep going, to the top of the hill, then you can stop" SHE LIED TO ME! She wasn't going to let me stop after 3 miles!  But I kept going for as long as I could.  I did stop! And walked a bit, just to the crossing and then I started to running again.  It was hard!

I slowed my pace down, I used all the running tricks that I have been taught, used my arms, I took smaller steps, slowed my pace. I think I had one more small stop before I nagged myself to run the rest of the way.

We went in to the posh houses, I had a quick breather and then we ran all the way through to the other side. We were feeling very superior, the road was quite busy with all the Porches and Mercs driving through, as we were running and they were driving! Well, anything that keeps us amused will keep us running.

The last couple of miles are a great down hill section, apart from the little incline up to Crofton, (a road that Nagging Sister swore at as she was cycling up it a few weeks ago) I did have a couple more walking stops, but mostly I was running. And doing pretty well time wise!  All this training is paying off! I can't believe that I am on the last couple of miles and still running in under 12 mi/m! 

I was running up to Naggy's house, she was already there and starting the warm down walk, I took a look at my Garmin, 6.95 miles. I can't stop running at that! "Keep running" I said to N.N. "let's just make the Garmin say 7 miles!" I said, and she started running again.

So, well, you already know that we ran for 7 miles! Lets take a look at the numbers!  All I can say is Whooo hooo, Go Old Girl!


2 comments: