Sunday 24 March 2013

Right, That's It! I'm Running!

Hello blog lovers.

I just had to get out for a long run today. There is not that much time left to get a least two long runs in before I start to taper down. With the weather against me and the cold virus attacking me, there has not been that much tapering up!

Yesterday, I decided, no matter what the weather, I am going out for up to 15 miles!  I mapped out a route on MapMyRun, it was just short of 15 miles, but I thought, that will do.  I don't think after 14 miles, I could bare to run pass my road and not go home!

I went to church this morning. I walked around to pick up my grandson and then we walked to church. Two reasons for that, (as I usually take my car on the very, very short journey) First reason was because I didn't want to defrost my car, and second, I wanted to see just how icy the roads and pavements are.  And, they weren't that bad!

As soon as I got back, I got changed, told the Old Boy my route and then set off.  I was doing a combination of routes today, with some added extras to try and get the extra miles in.  The last couple of miles were going to be near my home, just as a precaution, in case I get too tired!

The first half of the run is the run up to the A21 and then through the posh houses. This bit I am doing solo.  I  tried  getting a running buddy to come with me, but I noticed, when I looked out of the window, there was no car outside on the road, so Naggy Neighbour was out and Smarty Pants wasn't up for a long run, (she would have only have done the first half of the run anyway) as she is going away soon and didn't want to be all achy!  I know how she feels!  The Old Boy was going to meet me at the little bridge by Crofton School.  He will by cycling (albeit very slowly) behind me.  He is going to keep me company, supply drinks and nutrition for me. Perfect! Meals on wheels!

It was very cold out, but I think I had enough layers, and hopefully the right layers to be able to get around without getting hypothermia!  The first half went really well. I was by myself, so of course no need to show off, so I 'practiced' this 'Galloway's training. I think it's something I have been doing ever since I started running! It has walking bits in. I got to the A21 and after two miles I took a 30 second walk.  I know the next two miles is going to to get me at the top of the hill! 

I looked up at it! I could see it rise up and turn left and then out of sight. But, you just know its still going up! I know this hill. This hill used to hold me in fear. Not now! I have done it a couple of times now, for goodness sake, it should be a matter of fact that I do it. Ok, so last few times I had company, but today, I felt I had to try and conquer this hill again, by myself, with still 10 or so miles to do after! I took another little breather before I got to the bottom of the hill. And then I attacked it!  There is no way I am going to let it get to me, not even if I have another 26.2 miles to do after this!

I really wanted to stop. I started counting the trees, and the cars, and looking for the next focal point, anything to help me get up the hill.  I know my cold has taken a lot out of me, and what with not doing too many longer runs, it really was a struggle to get up there........BUT I DID IT! Eat that A21 hill!

I continued to run till the entrance of the posh estate, then took another little breather.  It was cold, but my head was boiling. I had a buff on and a hat.  I wanted to keep my ears warm!  The hat came off and so I was running with just the buff on my head, like some kind of wanna be pirate! 

The rest of the first half went really well. I got a call from the Old Boy asking where I was. I told him I was just running along the road towards Crofton school. "I will be about 5 or 6 minutes" He was waiting by the little bridge, ready to accompany me on the next half of my long run. I arrived there in less than the started time, I got there in 4 minutes!

I decided that this will be a good time to try out one of the freebie energising gels that I was given. It was goo, tangerine flavour goo! OMG! I openend it, squeezed some out and tasted it. BLEUGH! What was that?! That was the most bleugh thing I have ever tasted! It was just thick, and yucky, and.....I just can't even begin to describe it! I tried to finish it, as I thought this is what the professionals do, but I just knew that wasn't going to happen! Dextrose will be sufficient, and lucky for me the Old Boy had bought a nice cool orange drink!

The next part of the run, I of course  had company. The Old boy on his bike! I was so glad that he didn't have a bell on his bike! He would have been 'dinging' it all the way! Instead, when I slowed down or took a sneaky walk he chose to poke me instead!  He took a picture of me running along the woody bit of this road, you can see the whole pirate thing going on!

Ha arrrrr, Cap'n Moosh!


I was getting quite tired. Chislehurst seemed a long way away! But I got there. With Summer Hill in mind I took things easier again. I was getting tired, I was even thinking that maybe I can cut the run short and go down Blackbrook lane instead. Lets just wait and see how I feel at the top of the hill!

The run down Summer hill was great! But I could feel it on my legs, the down hill section seemed to be as hard as the up!  Then it was time. The up part of this road. the Old Boy giving me encouragement all the way. I stopped for a short second, not even 10 seconds had passed and he said "Keep going Old Girl, right to the top." I seemed to have found a little extra to get back to jogging. I really wanted to give up and walk, but I didn't. And, because of that, I decided to carry on with the rest of the planned route. So it was straight up towards Bromley.

From here till the end though, I was really struggling. The cold was getting to me, and I wished I had put on the Old Boys Trackie bottoms on over the top of my jogging tights! But I kept going. We were going to be doing some more down hills soon, which is always good for my Psyche! 

We were on Homesdale road,  I looked up at the road I was to climb, my heart sank to my boots! That's when the Old boy pulled out the big guns! Chocolate! I munched on a crunchie bar, so much better than dextrose and that goo stuff!  The thing is, I can't do the whole eating and running thing, I can just about do the walking and eating thing! But it was so good!  The only problem I was having was breathing! Because of all the.....yuck....coming out of my nose, I couldn't eat with my mouth closed! I looked like (and sounded like) some starved animal chewing on a bone!

Back on to the A21! How I am going to hate this road after the marathon! Heading towards Trinity church. I looked at my watch. It was about 2 hours or more ago I was on this road, feeling fresh and confident. Looking to beat the hill! Now look at me, a shadow of that! Seriously thinking about getting home by the shortest possible route!


I was just so pleased when I got to Turn Around lamppost, the last half a mile home. "I am going home now" I said to the Old Boy, I felt as if I stepped out of that clip from Forest Gump, when he turned around to the people running with him and he says "I am tired now, I am going home". And yes, HE got to walk home.
 "Oh no you don't" The Old Boy said to me,  "you still more to do" I just looked at him "I am going home to start dinner, you can carry on and finish what you started" I looked at him, and plodded along thinking, "It's so much easier to go home"

But I did as I was told, and what I had originally planned. I went through the park, up to the Harvesters and then back down Southborough Lane! I was doing it. I was doing the route that I had planned! I was knackered!! but I was doing it! I had no issues with my hips, or toes,  only fatigue! Just my will power slowly ebbing away. I couldn't wait to get to the road where I dare not stop.

Turning into my road was brilliant. Soon it will be over, soon I can step into a nice hot bath and relax! I had managed to run the length of Faringdon! Now that really pleased me! Obviously, there was no sprint finish!

So my geeky stats for you.







2 comments:

  1. Absolutely BRILLIANT Donna, it just seems a short while you were talking of a 6 mile run as a long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerry! How you can run for 30, 40 and more miles is just outstanding! I think the marathon will be my one and only ever longest run ;-)

      Delete