Monday 4 February 2013

Is This The Beginning Of A Proper Runner!

Hello blog lovers.

This evening I thought a nice steady 3 miler would be sufficient. Again, as yesterday, going for a quality run, rather than go for quantity of miles. I shall be looking at my Garmin regularly to make sure that I was keeping to a fairly consistent pace, of 12 m/mi.

Well that was my plan. I told that to the Old Boy, and he said "That's ok, then" So we got ourselves ready and then went for it.  It was a bit chilly out, but I know I will warm up as we plod along, and besides, its only a short  run after all. I started the Garmin, a nice warm up jog along, me and the Old Boy playfully bumping into each other as we compete for the space on the pavement.

As we were jogging up Farringdon I took a look at my Garmin, a little too soon I know, but just to check on the pacing, and I noticed that we were a bit slower than I wanted to go, yet I felt as if I was actually jogging quicker than I was yesterday! Strange. But I thought I would check further into the first mile before I altered my pacing. 

I checked it again as we were running less that 12 m/mi, well this is good, I can ease up a bit. But I didn't! I just kept plodding along, maybe a tad slower, but not a lot. I felt good, I felt comfortable. And I felt as if I was focused! All the psychological spots on this route were not going to affect me.  The first mile marker will just quickly pass by as I look at the street lamps.

The pub next. This is a good psychological spot as its where I make myself keep running passed all those smokers standing outside, freezing the asses off for their bit of weedy stuff. Then on to the next spot that always gets to me. The last roundabout before Turp. I used to 'allow' myself a quick breather there. But in doing so it always avalanched into more and more stops.

Each lamppost I spotted came up quickly, and I had to change to another one. Keep my breathing in check, keep my pace a nice steady pace. Make sure everything is just going along tickety boo. Before I realised it we were heading up the 'hill'. This used to always have me stopping. I was always puffing out my ear holes just before I got here, and now look at me! Still plodding along, breathing steady, pace steady, legs not feeling tired, and I am feeling bloody good!

Southborough Lane! Look at this Old Girl go! Easy into the last mile. I allowed myself a smile. Not a big smile, just a quick 'that's it Old Girl' type smile! Another quick glance at my Garmin, I couldn't believe what it was still telling me! "How we doing?" the Old Boy said, "Shhhhh" I replied. I just didn't want to talk, I didn't want to say it out loud, I just needed to stay focused on what I was doing.

Turning down Top Oxhawth, and just a little further. I stopped! Shit! I was annoyed with myself, even when the Old Boy said "Well done, now lets get moving again" I didn't stopped long, just a few walking steps, and the I went off again, after all, I was on the 'Road That I Dare Not Stop', well, virtually anyway!

The Old Boy took off from me down this road, just to give himself a bit of a speed work out. I kept at my pace. I didn't even bother looking at my Garmin now, no point, I'm nearly home.

It felt as if it was a PB, but I'm not sure. This was a steady paced jog, other runs have been faster miles with longer frequent walking spots. But this was one of my best jogs for this route! This one felt good. Will I allow myself another smile, I think so!

Geeky stats


No comments:

Post a Comment