Tuesday 5 February 2013

Club Run!

Hello blog lovers.

Beginners


Club run today. And I volunteered to help with the beginners before the usual group runs at 8.  I was glad I did, because the weather was just ...... yuck...!! It was cold, and some people even mentioned snow! But just at the time I needed to go out it was raining.  Usually the Old Boy goes out and does his thing on his bike, but the warmth of the blankets and the central heating was just too much of a temptation for him today.  He bid me fare-thee-well, with a huge smile on his face as he snuggled back under the comfy blanket!

I must be crazy! But I promised I would be there, and I had no messages that the beginners group was cancelled, and why should I? It's only rain after all, we don't melt down drain holes if it touches us, we may be crazy people but this is not the Land Of Oz!  So I drove my car to Little Thrift. I parked my car just opposite the turning where they all meet up and waited. It was just slightly passed seven when I got there, and I could see no sign of people. I thought maybe they must be already on their walk out to warm up. so I carried on sitting in my car, well it was raining! Then I saw some people go down the close, and then a couple more. Then about a minute later Kitman Mike jogged out of the close closely followed by about 15 to 20 other people! "Ah, so they was there after all"  thought to myself. I quickly got out of my car, and joined in the throng of eager joggers.

It was then that Mike told me there were two people waiting in in the close for me to turn up. Ooops! Sorry ladies, I hope you didn't get to cold waiting for me.  The exercises today was 4 minutes jog with 2 minutes walk, times 5. It seems a hug step up from last week, but I feel sure the group that I was leading out would have no problem with that.  They all done very well indeed. One of them said "Wow, is the four minutes up already?" and another one asked for a time check. When I told her we still had about 30 seconds to go, she was happily surprised at that.  Everybody in the group I had today was doing brilliantly and they all felt pretty good.



Group 1 Run

As soon as we had finished the beginners group me and the other helpers, Illustrious Leader, Singstar Jo and Jane, went to the rec to get ready for our club runs.  Singstar Jo will be leading group 1 today, and Illustrious Leader will be sweeping.  It was to be a nice gentle, slightly undulating route today. I was looking forward to it.  I was going to be at the back of group 1, help sweep along.  Usually the group splits into two and of the back group I know that again it will have two differing paces going on. So Illustrious leader ran along at the back of this group with JJ and Janet while I ran ahead with Kay.  (My goodness it sounds like a role call for the Men In Black, doesn't it?)

When Kay learnt of the route, and realised it was one of the hills that she really didn't like, I told her not to think about. When we got to the bit that she disliked we just kept plodding away. Looking up to the end of the road. Shepperton Road, then on to Crescent Drive. This is the bit of the route that Kay don't like.  We got to the other end of Shepperton and we stopped for a quick breather while we waited for the others. Then we saw Janet running up behind us! While JJ and IL came in just after. Janet was pleased that she got to the top and we all were. Now for the nasty little sneaky upward climb of Crescent drive.

We all just jogged along, sometimes chatting, sometimes just concentrating on the job! Then I head the voice of IL. I didn't quite catch what she said as she was a little further back from us, but Kay heard "I think that message was for you" she said.
"Oh really, I didn't quite hear, what did she say"
"She said that when we get to the top of this road then to spin round and run back to them"
"Ok" I said to her "That will be good"
"Yes but I don't think I will be doing that, I shall just wait at the top" she said laughing. But then she did say that she felt stronger, more able to get up that hill. "I bet it was that breakfast I had today" she said. "I don't feel so guilty now" "When we run we can treat ourselves occasionally to little treats, and why not?" I said "We run so we can eat"  I said jokingly.

I did try to get her to just gently jog back to them when we got to the top, but she wanted to wait.  It was not that far now to get back to the rec.  Just up Frankswood, over the rail bridge and then straight on till Crossways.  "Are you going to put in a bit of a sprint" I asked the ladies, but only Kay was up for it. So as soon as we got onto crossways, we both picked up our pace. "Gently does it, slowly build it up" I said to her, and then I noticed that she was pushing a little hard, she was making all the moves to go for it. "Oh good girl" I said and then we both just sprinted on to the sign, to the finish of our group 1

A fantastic run today. In spite of the chill, in spite of the rain, I really felt good. My knees were complaining a little, but I feel sure its because I am trying to run correctly, not 'put the breaks on' by running heel first! At least I hope that is the case!

Geeky stats for Group 1 run


No comments:

Post a Comment