Thursday 30 June 2011

Club Run

Hi blog readers.

I know its quite late, in fact its two days late! Still, we got there in the end.

Tuesday was a good run, an old friend of mine wanted to come along and see how it all goes. He has been working in the gym and feels ready to tackle the streets of our area! Got to think of a nick name for him now, answers on a post card please! Do they still do those?

It had been raining and very over cast all day, and the Group 1 leader thought it best not to go through the woods as it would be very slippy. I was quite glad of that, I didn't fancy being 'fast food' for the mozzies.............Hey, what you all laughing out, I do have my faster moments, normally on the down hill sections, I know.

So we headed towards Poverest park, and me and Old Friend found our selves in the middle of the pack. I told him I prefer to start off at the front, just so that I can fall back through but still keep together. "That's good tactics" he said.

We were chatting and running along and still keeping up with the mid section of the group. Old Friend felt very comfortable. It seems that treadmills can work! And not soften you up for the real thing. We got to our first official stop and we noticed that we were quite ahead of the back markers! That is usually my place. I think I must have been trying to impress him with my running skills, and not woose out! Even when there was a little hill that we had to run up, I tried my hardest to run it. Cant remember if I stopped though, but I'm sure Old Friend would let me know!

Through the park now and down the hill. One of the runners with us was suffering badly from cramp. Him and the back markers met us at the bottom of this hill, where the group leader said "Ok, back up here" So we had to run back up the hill, for another quick briefing.

The Group Leader said that she is changing the route slightly because of the cramping the runner was having. So, we headed off back down the same road and headed off for our meeting point from there. We were going to be running back up Cardiac Hill as its is fondly known as. The hill that I gained my speed on getting to this point in the first place! But still, its all good exercise.

I kept up with the runners, and Old Friend was doing brilliantly, unlike my first time out with the runners. I can remember saying to the back markers "I'm so sorry for keeping you back here." and "One day I shall stay with the pack" Yet here was Old Friend running just ahead of me!

The last road now, (and it was just about now where I realised where I was!) and we could see our goal, the end of the run. The group was quite quite spread, I think once people know where they are, they go faster or slower, and just do their thing to reach the end. Me and Old Friend decided that is exactly what we are going to do, and we put on a bit of a sprint. I managed to just get into the gate before I slowed down, Old Friend was going to slow down too, and I urged him on to the car park at least.

A good run, even with the heavy mist falling gently down, very refreshing!

Geeky stats.


No comments:

Post a Comment