Wednesday 22 June 2011

Mid Summer!

Hello Bloggees.

After my ride to Brighton on Sunday, I didn't think I would be ready for a run Tuesday evening, but I was surprisingly ok! No aches and pains, so I decided I shall just go and do it. It was a club special run, with two drink stops on route and then back to a club members house for Pimms! And to see who gets all the prizes for our club member runs. So not too challenging, and the drinks on route will be nice.

I left a bit earlier than usual, as I was walking, just so that I can fully partake you understand!, and didn't want to drink and drive, I think trying to drink and run will be a challenge!

We all met up, there seemed to be quite a few of us and the groups will be merging to two groups and then we were all to meet again at the first drinking hole! It worked very well, we set off in the lovely evening sun, just how a mid summers eve should be (can you believe I am writing MID SUMMER, I am still waiting for summer to kick in properly!, it was warm and sunny and just right. Of course I am at the back of the pack, and I could see the pack snaking through the woods, and up to Botony Bay where it became a throng as we all waited to collect together again, and then up, up, up to the watering hole just on the common at the end of the path and road.

On offer was beer (of course) and orange squash, and fizzy pops and lovely jelly babies! We stood around for 10 minutes drinking and chatting to all the members and just having a good time before we set for the next drinks station.

I felt a bit more refreshed and was feeling good, but as I have mentioned before, being a townie I am not that keen on the whole mud puddles, insects (which I know I have eaten several this evening) and trees across that path. One of the other runners said "I feel like a horse" as she hurdled over yet another felled tree.

It wasn't that long before the next watering hole, but by now the woods had taken their toll on me. I twisted both ankles and my knee and I am sure, trying to steady myself, I had twisted my back slightly. But being the runner that I am, I just ran through it, and hoped it wouldn't come to anything more that what it is now. A fizzy drink this time (I am not not a John Smith sort of girl) and then on to the Pimms stop.

We were almost there when my leg decided that it will cramp up. Maybe I wasn't quite ready for a run after all, but I just stopped a while and stretched it out. By now the pack was a head of me, but I didn't lose heart, I just kept on going, looking forwards to a drop or two of Pimms and getting to know more of my fellow club members.

Fortunately for me the host of tonights club run lives very near to the finish of our run. Once I got there I stretched out some more, caught my breath and then walked with the others to the house.

A great night was spent there, I am afraid I was part of the 'stay to the end' crowd, and left at about 11 ish, I still had the 2 miles to walk/jog back to my house! Thanks again to Mr. Kit Man, my first midsummer run with my club. I really feel part of the group now.

p.s.
This morning I woke up achy, and it seemed every muscle was complaining!, still wouldn't have missed it though.

Geeky stats, and remember, there was a couple of drink stops!

No comments:

Post a Comment