Sunday 1 May 2011

A Hard Run Today!

Hello blog lovers,

At first there was an exercise drought, now it seems as if there is a monsoon of exercises! I went running again this afternoon with Naggy.

I was feeling rather tired really, what with double exercise yesterday, but I do have that race coming up, and the L2B, so its a good endurance test.

We set out and I was following naggy, probably best that I don't know where we are going, no preconceptions of hills and things to worry about. Even as we were on the way up Farringdon my legs felt very heavy indeed! Naggy said, "Oh no, you're not starting that just now" but my legs really did feel heavy! I knew this wasn't going to be a faster time, but then when Naggy drags me round a course she doesn't even think of the time, its all about getting round it in one go.

Today we took a right turn at the end or Oxhawth, UP HILL! towards Petts Wood. I'm not sure if that is good for me right now, but I am going along with it, I'm sure Naggy wouldn't put me through something that I couldn't do. So up the hill we went, then crossed over the road and headed for the park. We are going to do the run that we did Thursday but in reverse, so there will be some down hills which will be nice.

It was quite breezy out and the wind in our faces wasn't helping at all, Naggy telling me to turn my head to the left or right slightly so that the wind didn't take my breath and slow me down, she is so thoughtful!

I just had to concentrate on my breathing, Naggys voice was coming through my thoughts, my legs were heavy heavy heavy! It was difficult to think about anything but stopping. We got through the park, I kept running all the way, which really did surprise me. I mean as I was running through the park I was thinking "Why on earth am I doing this, at my age, for goodness sake" I had never looked after myself when I was younger, I just drank copious amouts of beer, smoked ciggies, and ate what I wanted. A diet was something to do when people were around at breakfast, lunch or dinner time, and then I would eat chocolate in private, all by myself! And now, here I am, still at it, still running, and not only that but I have added cycling to my regime as well, and a huge challenge just to make it interesting!

When we got out of the park, we didn't go straight down Blackbrook as I hoped we would, in fact, in my heart, I knew she was going to head on over the road to go down Southborough Road! Naggy's gentle voice keeping me focused on my breathing, she is listening all the time, and she can tell when I am not concentrating on it. And she knows when she has got through to my negative thoughts as she says to me "That's it, keep it like that, keep your breathing under control, that sounds perfect"

My thoughts kept drifting to my legs though, and how heavy they are, there was a little pain creeping into my calf, I tried to ignore it! but when we were half way down Southborough Road I had to stop. Naggy told me to stretch out my leg, stretch the muscle out. I did as she said, and just gave a gentle bounce, which I got told off for. That is not good, no bouncing! Just stretching, and when you feel it loosen up a bit then stretch a little more until it doesn't hurt anymore! You learn something new all the time, don't you. I always used to bounce and stuff when stretching, but that is not the way to do it! So I did get a stop after all, but a painful one!

Of course Naggy in her usual no nonsense way said "Right no more stopping" along with "And keep you head up!" I keep doing it, I keep looking down. Naggy has said that she is going to get a neck brace for me ........ then have it that if I do look down then she will press a button and give me an electric shock! Such a caring person she is!

Running down Southborough Lane now and I was feeling bloomin beat! My legs had been filled with ten ton of lead in each leg, it feels such a long way to home. Naggy still telling me to keep my breathing under control. The I said "STUFF IT" I just stopped running. I couldn't run another step, Naggy said, "I'm not stopping, you have to catch up" I just waved her off. But she did slow down a bit, and I did eventually get going again after about 30 walking paces or more! "No more stopping, or I will add on another half mile!" she said. That thought did not go down well with me and my lead legs!

I got to keep going. I am nearly home. We were at the Havester now, and its only .75 of a mile from here, because we are going through the park and not up Southborough lane (thank goodness)

I just focused my thoughts on home, and a nice drink afterwards, on Naggy! I looked at each lamppost on the way, watching them go behind me and then looking at the next one. Thats how I got through the park today. Running down Whitebeam, on the road, I didn't want to be bothered with the ups and downs of the driveways, zapping all my precious energy! On to our road now, try as I might, I just couldn't get a sprint finish today, there was nothing left, completely empty, and I could feel another cramp coming on in my other leg!

Yes, today was a very hard run. A nice rest day tomorrow is what is needed.

Geeky stats

No comments:

Post a Comment