Wednesday 11 March 2020

Solo Run, Mental Block, Busted!

Hello readers.

So now I am up to date with my blogging again!  I expect those of you who read my blogs will be quite fed up with my ramblings these last few days!  I must try and blog straight away and that way I won't get behind!

So I went running, on Monday, by myself!  It's been quite a while since I've done that! I am hoping that I have finally broken the mental block about solo running.  I got home from the first shift at work, and without thinking, without looking at what needed to be done in the house, without opening up my computer to see emails, I went up to get changed into my running gear.  Desperately trying to not procrastinate, just busy getting changed.  I managed to get myself out of the house, Garmin at the ready, music playing, Jabra ready to start nagging!

I was quite looking forward to this run, I used to love my solo running, regularly going out.  Sometimes my thoughts had me in tears, sometimes I talked myself into doing things......like marathons!  Did I ever tell you that I have run a marathon? Well, two actually, both in London, both took me 7 hours!!! But I did it!  It's amazing what you can talk yourself into while out running!  Who knows, you could come up with a plan that will save us from the Corona Virus!  My thoughts were not on anything like that this time, not that there was ever a time I thought about cures for viruses, or even doing another marathon, my thoughts were on, well me!  I was saying things like, "Well done Old Girl, you did what you said you were going to do"  I was  feeling pretty proud of myself right at that moment........then I opened the door of my house and went out!  "Really?  It's a bit cold"  were my next thoughts, even though the sun had been shining bright all morning!

Of course I went out, I started my music, my Garmin, kicked mojo ass to wake up and enjoy this moment!  I was going to do one of my usual routes, only about 3 miles, but just to get out there and do it knowing that I can and have done it on numerous occasions, should put me in good stead!  As always, that first mile is just about the hardest part of any run.  My breathing was all over the place, walking for absolutely no reason at all, moaning to myself that I should have just stayed in and did my work! But once I got into it I really started to enjoy it!  I know, sounds weird right?  I was enjoying the tunes in my ears, even Jabra wasn't nagging me, I now know it was because  I needed to re-set everything, for some reason, Jabra doesn't bring over your history and settings from phone to phone!  Shame!

I decided to not quite stick to the exact same way round the route, I turned, instead, down Holbrook Way. Usually I run straight pass this road and turn down Turpington Lane, but I wanted to do this little loop the opposite direction to how I normally do it.  Just because I am a crazy and impulsive fool! Once I had got to Green Way, which by the way seemed really quick, my mood picked up even more.  I think I was even smiling!  Can you imagine that readers, some crazy impulsive Old Girl grinning at you as she is running towards you!  Scary!  I must remember these moments.  These are the moments when you think to yourself, "I really love running"!  It's also then that you start to think you can run the world!  Probably why I decided that I could run a marathon! Which I have done by the way! Have I told you I ran a marathon before?

The long home stretch was so good, I really enjoyed myself as I ran back along Southborough Lane. "I wonder if people can see me"  I thought to myself.  I notice runners all the time when I am out driving my car and often smile to myself. Way back when I was a couch potato I am sure I went around with my head down, eyes looking at my boots and nothing else!  I love inspiring people to get out there and do running, exercise, cycling or anything really.  This week, one of my work colleagues told me that he has gone back to playing football, just because I go running on a Tuesday evening with my club!  That really made me smile!  Exercise does pick up your mood, I know sometimes you really don't want to be out there, the last thing you want is to be pulling on some skin tight run pants that feels way to small and going out in the cold, when all you want to do is to sit and eat chocolate in your pj's, but I am sure, 100%, that it can lift a mood!

I got back to my home feeling totally like a boss!  Yeah, did it!  Look at me with my sweaty face, I've done it!  I wished I took a picture! So he is a picture of a happy sloth instead
I wonder if running helps with brain cells and memory!?











Here's my geeky stats.






No comments:

Post a Comment