Tuesday 21 February 2017

Club Run - It;s Getting Warmer!

Hello blog lovers.

Love club running, I just love running with my running buddies.  It's great being a part of a fantastic club!  In fact I have decided, I need to invest in more club attire! Wear my colours with pride!  But anyway, about my run!  I met up with the girls at J.J.'s house and we walked to the rec chatting like we do.  We met up with everyone else, all talking about the races they had done over the weekend, and there were quite a few, Matthew in particular smashing his half marathon pb by 25 minutes!  Not only that but our club has come second in the KFL's too!  Not a bad weekend at all!

I had planned to do a loop that involved a hill climb with a tiny little bit of hill reps, just to wake us up a bit, and to get us looking forward to our beach bodies in the summer!  But then LittleJ had told me there she had eaten a little late today!  And also we had a new comer to our group, not a complete beginner, but it's her first run back after have a little baby 8 months ago!  Smashing!  So I quickly changed our route to the easy one, the one that we do when we have new comers, or beginners joining us, or if I have had a particularly heavy weekend! It seemed everyone was pleased with that idea!

My legs felt ready to run actually.  I think.....in fact I know rest days are a necessary thing to happen which is why I felt ready to run.  After a great parkrun (not particularly fast) on Saturday, and no running since my legs felt energised!  I think sometimes we do forget about how good rest days are for us, and we just try and fill all our spare hours with running!  We set off out of the rec and turned right and then the next right.  Kingsway was the first and the steepest of the hills, that's why this is the nice and easy route.  Once we were up there it's plain sailing for the rest of the way.

I noticed that we were all running together pretty tightly, and LittleJ's sandwich was staying where it was put! We walked for a little bit from the top of the hill, and then started running again after I told them all about the running softly over the bridge.  As we were running over there I took note of my own running style. I noticed that today, and I think for a couple of weeks now, I have been running a 'funny'!  My right foot seems to come down a lot harder than my left! Weird! It's weird that I am just noticing.  Is it a new thing, or has it always been like it!  Or am I making it worse by noticing it!?  Who knows!  But what I did know is that we are all still running together, so well, and a tad fast for a group 1 pace!  I needed to slow it down a bit.

As we were running around Crestview I kept an eye on my watch, but when we crossed over Southborough lane and headed for Crescent Drive we picked up the pace again.  Ok, the average pace is our usual group 1, but that includes the walking bits and the stopping for catching breath, crossing roads etc.  But our moving time is spot on for the top end of our group, 12:31 m/mi.  Which means that sometimes we were running at 11:30 for 4 or 5 minutes at a time!  Now it may not seem a lot, but to us lot in group 1, that's pretty good going!

That is how our club run went today.  Some faster bits, some walking bits but all of us doing well, staying together.......and chatting!  There were 10 of us, ten very chatty, very capable running buddies, enjoying this evenings run!  We ran to the Off License and just on the other side of the road was a group running towards us.  They were going over the bridge too.  we stopped, crossed over the road, and we waited for them to pass by.  Most of the group did, and then stopped by the bridge, they were waiting for a couple of their backpackers.  I decided that we didn't need to wait and got everyone running again and we ran passed the group by the bridge who were waiting for their buddies, they were the Orpington Road Runners!

Beaumont road was next and we were still running at a great pace for our group!  I am quite proud of my lot!  And listening to the chat they are more that capable of this pace and they are all enjoying it! We got to the end of Beaumont and turned on to St. Johns and then to Tudor way!  We are nearly back to the rec.  Steve decided that he was going to leave at this point, to go and get his train back home.  We all continued to run towards Petts Wood Road.  Group 3 just came along then at that point and for a short while we were all mingled up together. Linda decided to leave us at this point to, our newbe, to go home from there.  I reminded her to make sure that she does some stretching once she got home.  Then we all ran the last section towards the rec.  I can't help it, I like this bit.  I do try and and be a good leader and send everyone up first, but then I sprint it!  I go flat out, change gear and go for it!  Fantastic! Love it.  Some of the others do this sprint finish too! I know, it's not the way to finish a run, but it is so much fun!

Geeky stats.




No comments:

Post a Comment