Sunday 14 February 2016

Parkrun Shenanigans!

Hello blog lovers.

So when there are celebration runs to do then we get up an do them!  Today was Wendimoo's 50th Parkrun!  I met the girls in the car park of Normans Park, and we all sat in the car waiting for the star attraction, our Wendimoo, to arrive.  When she got there, she was presented with a balloon, a card and a delicious cake!   We tied the balloon on her ear warmer hat thingy, so that everyone will see her.

We made our way, with the cake, to the Pavilion, and to a 'before' photo of all of us!  There, this is us, with another lady who is also running her 50th!

Other lady, Janet, me, J.J. and Wendimoo
We walked (ran) over to the start of the run time was getting on, it was pretty darn cold too, so good to try and at least look as if we were warming up!  I could already feel my legs wanting to seize up!  Oh well, this is all for Wendimoo anyway!  If I get round, I get round, if I don't, it don't matter!

We were at the front of the crowd for a change, I think maybe Wendimoo was on a mission, but she said that she just wanted to start from the 'gun' time rather than a couple of minutes after. We were standing very close to the starter and time keeper, so as soon as she said "3, 2, 1, Go!" we were off. Now if you know our Wendimoo, she is tall with legs that go right up to the top!  Talk about cover ground with just one stride!  Well I was already pulling away from her, and of course when I say 'pull away' I mean that she was stretching out her lead in front of me, on the the first long straight!  I think she only had done about 10 steps too!  So I grabbed a chance to get an action shot of our leading lady.

By the time we got to the third corner my leg really cramped up!  I guess running without warm ups in freezing weather and trying to keep up, is probably not a good thing to do!  But of course by then the runner within decided that 'I had started so I will finish!'  What on earth was I thinking earlier, 'if I don't get round it don't matter'  I must have still had my sleepy head on!

So I limped and ran and walked around the next two laps! Two laps!  The winter route for Normans parks has us running around 3 times.  I can cope running laps at the track.  Track is different, it's track.  But doing laps for park run, well I just don't like it! The summer route, with just twice around the park, going across the middle, is so much nicer than this winter route.  Bring on the summer!

As you can guess, it was a slow slog round, but it was tons of fun.  Wendimoo came in to huge cheers a good few minutes ahead of me, J.J. and Janet!  And then there was cake!  Even better bit about parkrun today!

Some pictures of the cake cutting ceremony!



Congratulations Wendimoo!  I guess I should start working on getting my parkruns to 50 now!

Geeky stats


No comments:

Post a Comment