Tuesday 13 October 2015

Petts Wood Runners, Petts Wood Runners Running Through The Glen!

Hello blog lovers.

Well, I finally made two runs this evening, group 0 and group 1, so group 0 first.

Group 0

I had planned to run up Birchwood with my group this evening,  it's been a couple of weeks since we did that!  In todays group we had Jenny, Elena and Kim, eager to get under way.  We did some warm up drills first to try and loosen up our muscles.  The weather is getting cooler and it's not good to try and run straight away with cold muscles. 

But then it was time.  I said to Jenny to ignore the lampposts for now, pretend they are not there, we are going to run to the top of the hill before even thinking about a little walking break!  Visualise ourselves at the top!  That's our goal, that's the challenge bit for today.  After that is working on breathing, getting further and further with the running, and keeping a steady pace.  It all sounds pretty easy when its written down, but actually doing it is totally different!

Everyone did really well, they kept going, and kept smiling, even with my slight nagging to get to the next lamppost.  But it really does work.  Those little goals that you set yourself, just little tiny ones, achievable ones, really does work.  And while you are out running making all those little goals and achieving them, it makes you feel really bloody marvellous!  Even our Kim used that method getting around Parkrun on Saturday, except her little goals were the orange cones!

A great run with the ladies, and they really are all improving and doing well!  Here's their geeky stats.


Group 1

Group 1 today was led by SingstarJo, and our group today was about 20 strong.  We set off a little later than usual as we had an awful lot of congratulating to do for a brilliant job of putting on our 10k event!  It really was a fantastic event, just the write ups on Runners World and our own Petts Wood Runners 10k page can prove that!  Any way I digress.  

SingstarJo's route today was taking in Tillingbourne Green!  Tillingbourne Green is hill! It's a green on a hill, and it's a green that leaders like SingstarJo and in fact Illustrious Leader like to take group 1 as its in our range!  I think I may have sounded off when SingstarJo mentioned it!  Still, hills are our friends! They are, apparently, they kind of like us, sort of. Well they make us, sweat, and hurt, and swear!!

Anyway, there was our route, I didn't quite hear much after the Tillingbourne thing, but it will be a great surprise when we run there.  We set off, I was sweeper with Illustrious Leader, and we do do a great job of it!

We ran up the same road that I took group 0, I am so going to have to liaise with the leaders, just so that I don't do the same road twice!  My calf muscle in my right leg was really giving me gip!  It started on the Sunday, I think maybe from standing around in the same spot, I should have done some exercises while I was manning my post!

It took a while for my leg to warm up after the waiting around, but at least I was moving! My back wasn't giving me issues and my shins, well, shhh, they seem to be just fine too!  But now this blooming calf!  What is going on with my body lately!  I kept the group in sight, and probably in shouting distance if we need to stop at all, but it didn't get that bad.

Once we were at the green SingstarJo split us into two, sent one group around the green one way and the other group around the green the other way, see which group was the last to get runners 'home!'  We all set off after having a little break, with S.J. talking about the KFL, which are good run.  Great cross country races done in your club teams.  I have taken part in a couple of them.

I went around the green the with clockwise team and we met the other runners about half way around!  It looked slightly different going this way around I have only ever run the other direction!  There is still a hill to climb though, there is not getting away from that!  I think both groups got all their members back around about the same time, me and Ariol arriving around the the same time!  So a draw!

Then we continued on the route that S.J. had planned.  We headed left and then started to run down the hill. I wasn't quite sure where we were, and then I suddenly realised what hill we were on!  Poverest!  I hate this hill, I hate cycling it (which I can do now!) and I hate running up it!  Something I have yet to do!  But I felt sure that S.J. had plans, I think she has a route that will not take us all the way to the bottom!... I think I think too much!  "Maybe she has a bus down there organised to bring us all back up!" I said, and me, Auriol and Tendai giggled, nervously!  "Maybe she has got lost" we finally said out loud!

Once we got to the bottom of the road S.J. came running up to meet us. "I've taken the wrong road" she said, and she looked really sorry!  I mean, this road is horrendous, it's not a favourite of group 1's and no it looks like we are going to have to run back up it!  After running all the way to the bottom! Shhhh....shhhall I just smile around about here!  It was rather funny! now that I am home, and sitting with my feet up!

Group leading is not as easy at it seems, and sometimes we do go wrong.....or at least we do find alternative routes while out running!  It's a way of making new routes next time!  Tried and tested routes! Or routes to avoid!

Illustrious Leader suggested that we turn around and then turn left up a little road. Yes we will be running up the same hill, but at least it's not that part of it, it has a different name! In fact it's what this post is on about.  For those that remember Robin Hood, and that tune #Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the Glen, Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men! I am sure some of you will know it.

This little bit is known as Robin Hood estate.  I think it's the name of the roads that give it away, go ahead, check them out on the geeky stats!  Friars Road, for instance!  Anyway, all I can say is, I am glad it's dark!  I tried to run up it, but I was really struggling.  I had already done hills today, and those awful hills yesterday on the bike!  It's my excuse, and I am sticking to it!

We came out on the same road where we started to head down, down, down, just opposite the green that we round around, which of course had a hill in there somewhere!  But now, it's all rather flat, that is....until we head on down. Down Petts Wood Road to Crossways!  I ran next to Auriol, the rest of the group were way in front of us, and I.L and Tendai were just behind!

I was pleased this run had been done, and yes there were hills, but I was still glad that I could run with group 1 again!  It felt good to be back with my running buddies!













No comments:

Post a Comment