Thursday 21 May 2015

Thursdays, You Gotta Love 'Em

Hello blog lovers.

A lovely morning, and just perfect for running, but then again, what morning isn't perfect for running?!  I turned up at the rec and said Hi to everyone.  DiscoRich was all set with his posse of eager runners, ready to hit the woods and I had two lovely ladies, both from the beginners group, Sarah and Vanessa.

Thursday mornings, for me, is just pushing out the distance, just that little bit more than the normal group 1, with the smaller group.  I had planned this route in my head, and it worked out well in my head, it included going up twice to the top of the woods!  I didn't tell the ladies, I thought I would keep it a surprise.

We went in through "Dog Poo" and turned left,  I was going to take them up Goss Hill.  They did this last week, and it's good to see how well you can do the next time, but I usually leave it a couple of weeks before I take them up it, but today, I was planning that second hill!

We got to the little river, passed by the walking bridge and started running down to the other bit of the river.  It was such a lovely morning, the sun was shining, it was warm, and everything looks so green!  We ran towards the beginning of Goss Hill.  With just a short little break we looked up to the hill.....and attacked it!

I was behind, mainly because I don't want them to see me walk first if that was the case!  I started running up after them, I made myself promise that I would run for as long as these two ran!  No walking until they do, and I mean both of them!  We got nearer and nearer to the top, I was just hoping one of them was going to walk, I was that close to walking up first! Surely that's good when you're supposed to be leader!

But we don't beat ourselves up!  The fact that we are out here running is just brilliant!  Sarah wasn't feeling the love for running this morning, but to look at her attack that hill, the love soon came back!  They both did really well, when the first one stopped running, I just had to keep going, can't stop until they both did!  Boy was I pleased when she did!

We had a quick break at the top and then ran along the path to Botany Bay lane.  Now I now we have already ran half of this coming the other way, and this is where my plans were not quite as I thought they would be in my head! My mind is a jumble of paths, I just never get them in the right order!  So we had to run down to the river and then up the path that we had previously ran down earlier.

From there we were going to follow the 10k route, by running along the path, past the walking bridge and then up the second path on the left.  I always get a bit confused here.  During the winter the woods look different, you can see though the canopy, and the woods up head, but when they are in full leaf it just looks different....wonderful...but different.

I tried to remember the way from when we did our 10k walk through with David, going past the double trees to the left.  And there is where I lose it!  We used another path and just followed it,  and then took another one, as it looked wider!  I didn't recognise it, but it didn't matter, we seemed to be heading in the right direction.  Imagine my surprise when we actually came out by the National Trust memorial!

This only meant one thing. I had lost the path that I wanted.  To make up for it we had to continue up to the top of the woods using the middle path.  Then we were going to go right along to the path that is parallel with Chislehurst road and then down by the railway back to Dog Poo Ally, and back to the rec.

A brilliant run and we covered over 4 miles! Geeky stats



Speed and Core Training

It's that time of the year!  It's light enough and warm enough and thankfully dry enough that we could have our first core training session of the year.  DiscoRich was in charge of the first one. and there were quite a few people there to join in.  I took my phone with me to take pictures, here, take a look.

The no.1's waiting for
the no.2's


As always there was the two lap jog of the rec, I was just a tad late and joined in on the last one!  This was quickly followed the drills!  It looks marvellous seeing everyone joining in, having fun and getting fit!

Then it was some speed work, little sprints of varying length done in teams!  There were six teams each with five team mates, so if you're good at maths that means there were 29 of us (ok, so one of the teams had to have a runner to run twice)  It's the pyramid game!  There are some speedy, runners here today!  Wow!  Watching them go, sprinting up the the first cone was poetry in motion!  Fortunately for me, one of them was in my team!  But we still didn't win!

After that we made our way back to the benches to have our core training!  Planks to start with, and not namby pamby starting off with just a 20 sec plank!  Oh no, 45 sec plank it was, followed by 45 sec side planks!  We are hard core!!  I couldn't quite manage 25 sec side planks! It was all great fun though and the banter and chat that was going on just proved it!

And then we had the relays.  teams of three, and I can't do the maths, but there were more than six.  We all got a bit confused as to whose no.1, 2 or 3's belonged together, but it all worked out in the end! I think!  At least we all ran....didn't we J.J.? 

With just the warm down stretches to do that was the end of the 2015 first core and speed training!

Here's some more pictures.

The majorette

The laps.

Listening

Mountaineering

It was planks, they did to it!

SingstarJo was flying tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment