Sunday 17 May 2015

Petts Wood Members 10k

Hello Blog lovers!

You know when you have a brilliant plan and you think it's all going to work exactly and accordingly to plan! Yup! I don't think I have ever had a plan that went perfectly!

So I volunteered for marshaling duties, no matter where that may be! Either tea making duties, stuck in the middle of the park, or even chief cheerer!  After our AGM on Tuesday I found out that there maybe some new members joining in our 10k today, new to the club, new to group 1 and new to a 10k!  So I offered to be sweep for these if I was needed!

My name went down on the volunteers list but I still hadn't been told as to what.  So last night my plan started.  Get up early, all ready for church, make up, money in pocket for the shopping I needed to do after and then off to the rec to receive my instructions!  When I got there it was a bustling sight, people were there in the 'colours', tea station was set up and PhysioMike was there with this clip board.  He took one look at me, in my jeans and fully made up face and said "I thought you were sweeping"

I must remember to liaise properly next time!  But that didn't stop me!  I had bought my car with me, so I rushed back home I got changed into my running gear and met everyone at the starting point which was in Tent Peg Lane, where I parked my car!  I got there with about 7 minutes to spare. So I sat in my car and just checked out the route, just to make sure it's clear in my mind!

The run was going to be in staggered starts.  Group 1 and 2 will start first, then group 3 and 4 will start six minutes after and the 5 and 6, finally groups 7 and 8 after them!  Although I was sweep, I will still be setting off with the group 1's and 2's, everyone else should pass us on the laps of Jubilee!  It worked well last year, and I am sure it will work well this year.

We were set, and then I asked SingstarJo where the other group 1 members were, it seemed that they had changed their mind!  So there was I going to try and sweep 10k, after achieving a PB yesterday, all the usual group 1 members! Hmm, should be fun! It's a good job I had my weetabix this morning!....Oh Shit......I did have weetabix this morning!  I am so going to suffer!

We were soon off!  Group 1 set off out of Tent Peg turned right and headed up to Southborough Lane, where our first marshal was stationed to point the way, right down Southborough Lane.  I was chatting along with Paula, this is first long run since we did the marathon together!  I have done a couple of short ones, and a 4 miler since, and even a track session, (I just love running!)

But I think Paula was on a mission, just like I was yesterday!  She just kept going!  I was looking behind me waiting for the stampede of all the other runners from the other groups as they catch us up.I think we must have been doing pretty darn well actually, I kept looking behind and saw no one, I was trying to keep up with Paula, and I was thinking, I need to slow down!

I said to her "I am going to walk for a bit, you just keep on going" And I watch as she ran along.  I decided that I would take some pictures of the runners, why I didn't do it in the beginning, I don't know! I kept looking back, "they will be here soon, any minute now"  kept thinking to my self.  Then the first of them came up, I snapped away with my phone at the runners.  I ran on some more and then took some more pictures as I heard them running behind.

The first from the other groups


I leaned against a bus,stop to take some more as the runners came think and fast.  PhysioMike came by and wondered what I was doing hiding behind the bus stop!  I could have said waiting for a bus, but it was actually going in the wrong direction!  I felt like all the runners ahead of me now were running as fast as a bus!

I love this picture,
both their feet are off the ground!
Flying!


With the first lap done I had to do it all again!  I walked this time out of Tent Peg Lane, just to catch breath, and then I noticed Sherry with her camera! "Oh no, I better start running again" I thought. This lap there were fewer people behind me, just one or two caught up and over took me.  Each time I said "Are you the last runner" "No, there are a few behind" said one runner, "No, there is one left" came the next reply.  I passed a marshal at the top of Blackbrook Lane and said "There is just one other behind me, and that should be it"  And the the last runner caught me up, just to confirm I said, "Are you the last runner?"  "Yup, I am" he said.  I thought then that I could take it easier.  I was running down Blackbrook lane by that time.

One of our lovely mashals at the junction of
Blackbrook and Southborough


The marshall at Thornet wood lane was waving me through and I told him that I was the last one, and he could stand down.  Through the park, on this gloriously warm day, I should say, for the last time.  dodging doggies and poochies having fun with their humans, who for some reason just couldn't keep hold of the balls, they threw them and the doggies had to go and fetch them back! Careless! Tut tut.

Della and Clare were at the other end of Jubilee Park and I told them that I was the last one standing....well running, and they could stand down, and I carried on through Tent Peg Lane.  Sherry wasn't there this time, there was another marshal to show they way and told her that I was the last.  But this time, when we ran up Crest View, instead of turning right we turned left to start going back to the rec.  I ran along towards Petts Wood and there at the other end of Crest View was Sherry with her camera!  I am sure I was running that time.  I told her I was the last one!

Just over a mile left to do now, each set of mashals I let them know that I was the last one!  I was getting a bit tired now, but I was so very pleased that I was running!  It really is a lovely surprise!  Although I didn't have the slower end of the group 1's to 'sweep' and I spend most of the run trying to keep up with everyone, I was really have a fab time!

The route took over the walking bridge and then down Woodside, Great Thrift and then UP Towncourt Road.  Whose idea was that!  As I was approaching Towncourt the marshals were walking along and gathering at the beginning of Towncourt.  Hels was there and she said "Go on Donna, you could do it" And then she rang along with me, up the road "It's a cruel thing, this hill at the end" she said, I think I totally agree with her.....and then also remembered that I sometimes get my group 0's to do this road too!

She stayed with me as we entered the rec and then we ran together all the way round the rec, encouraging me all the way!  What a club we have.  Being the last runner I did get a big cheer.....well from those that could tear themselves away from all the delicious cakes and tea that we had on offer!  Not only are we one of the biggest running clubs around, not only are we the nicest clubs around catering for all abilities in running, but we do have some superb master bakers in our midst!

Chocolate cakes, fairy cakes, lemon drizzles, walnut cakes!  Oh wow, and that was just what was left after I got there!  All helped down with a cup of rosy lee!  Superb day! But as for my plans, well, I don't think I will make it to church!  I looked a (probably) a delightful sweaty mess, it really was a glorious Sunday morning, and I still had to go and get my car, shower etc!  I would be too late!  And a huge thanks to the organises, PhysioMike and Siggy and to all the marshals!  Absolutly top job!

I managed to stay away from any mirrors, until after my shower, I just didn't want to see if my make up had reached my knees!  Here's my Geeky stats!






No comments:

Post a Comment