Sunday 8 February 2015

Sixth Sunday Solo Slog

Hello blog lovers.

Sorry about the title, it could have been worse, I was trying to figure out a word for long beginning with an 'S' but I think 4 of them is not bad.

I planned to do the route that I have been doing on the Sundays, but I wanted to do it in the opposite direction.  Get those hills out of the way first.  There will be a couple of minor little lifts some where along the way, but I am sure nothing like the ones that are through Petts Wood.

I was by myself, WendiMoo was going to be coming, but after after loosing her mum, whom she has been caring a long time for, she finds herself able to do things spontaneously!  Wendi, my deepest sympathy to you, I know you are going to miss your mum!  Also Bims won't be joing me on any part of the run either as she has her little man to look after, you just gotta love grandkids!

I had plotted my route out using this plotaroute.com place, it seems a lot easier to use that any of the others that I have tried. I put it on my Facebook page for all to see!  No other takers.  So this is it.  My own discipline is going to have to carry me through all 11 miles today!  I can imagine there will be quite a few 'thigh slapping' moments to come!

I do love my solo running, but the long runs are hard going, but there is always my music!  That is going to be so needed to keep me going!  The weather today was just gorgeous! The sun was shining, it was warm....for February... and just about everyone was out and about!  Where on earth all this hard winter and snow 'they've' been talking about!  I had on long sleeved Autumn running top and long pants, I wasn't going to take a drink this time round. My next long run is when I shall be taking water and nibbles!  Must remember to dig out my running belt thingy for carrying water and sweeties!

I felt pretty positive and looking forward to my long solo run.  It's been a while since I've been running long distances by myself, it's also been 9 days since my last run!  Well I did do the spin class on Monday!

Enough faffing!  Start 'journalling'! Out my house.......and chat to Naggy Neighbour! She was just coming out of her house to go for a walk with her pooch! So eventually, get running.  Trying to remember the route! Up Farringdon and then turn right to go up Hollingworth.  This is the climbing bits, and coming from this way, there's not too many of them either!

I am ok about the relative flatness off this run as the London Marathon is just fine, it's flat and no hills at all...that I can remember!  I am not sure about the Paddock Wood half, but I have heard that one is also a flatish route!  The hills on my training are just that, training!

I ran up to the mile and then took my first walking break.  I really wanted to press on, but I shall stick to my plan, I think it's a good plan.  I ran up Shepperton Road and then turned left and started to run along there, as I tried to remember the next bit.  It was then that I realised that I was heading the wrong way!  I should have turned right! So I did a 'Uee' and headed in the right direction, towards the Off Licence that isn't an Off Licence.

I was going to run up towards the new bridge over the rail lines along Chislehurst Road.  So far so good.  It was so good seeing loads of people out enjoying this unexpected sunshine!  I was thinking maybe I should have bought some water with me, as Naggy Neighbour had said.

I did Cardiac Hill as best as I could, which thankfully included (I think....I may have just walked it anyway) the one minute of walking.  I stuck to the route that I had planned.  I was looking forward going through the park, Jubilee Park. It will be the first park of todays run. I was looking forward to the 'clean air'!  When I eventually got there the park was full of people!  Families on bikes, or walking with the pets!  It really is a feel good factor seeing smiling faces in this unexpected sunny day.

After I got through Jubilee I decided to call Bims, just to see, but as  I said earlier she had her grandson with her today.  From this moment I knew I would be by myself the whole way round.  I was hoping that I would be very disciplined and just stick the the plan.  I know it's been a well over a week since my last run, but I am hoping that would be I have tons of extra unspent energy to get me round.  Just hoping....I know!

The next park was soon here.  As I was running towards the usual entrance....well exit (as up till now I was coming out of this gate!), I noticed another little ally way.  I ran past it and I suddenly realised that it was another way into the park!  It would mean spending more time in the park than on the roads!  Next time I will be using that path!

Again this park was so busy!  Everybody out enjoying the day, the park was full, mums, dads,  grans and granpas pushing baby buggies, dog walkers and again kids and families on their bikes! Just makes you feel bloody pleased that you're able to get out their and do.....stuff!  There are many that can't!  But right then I was very happy that I could! Smiling I ran through the park, occasionally singing along with the songs that I was listening to.

The park was soon over and done with, it's only a small park.  I wished I could have just ran round and around there, but I am sticking to my planned route, no deviations!  I ran along Addison road to the A21 and crossed over to get ready to run down Hayes Lane.  I was really looking forward to the next park! It's Normans Park.  I already knew there would be families there, it's just obvious!  But also there was a chap there flying is model plane!  It looked brilliant as he looped the loop, and twists and turns!  I know exactly how had it is to even control a remote control car!  So these planes, wow, I probably wouldn't even get it off the ground!

I was getting pretty tired now.  My legs were aching, and I also started to think about getting a drink. This is the moment when I know that having a drink with me is definitely on the cards for my next run.  I know during the VLM there will be water every mile, but training runs are all done with me supplying the goods! I hate carrying things around my waist! But I shall get used to it! I may even try running with my bike ruck sack.  It sits neatly on my back, I can do it up so that it's not flapping and jumping about, I may just dig that out!

Again, all too soon the park was done with and I was back out on the roads, the A21 precise, and heading towards Trinity Church.  As I was running along here, I saw young LouLou out on his bike with his mate.  He had been to Maccy Dees' Just then I started thinking about the golden arches, popping in there and grabbing a cool drink! But I had come out without any cash! And LouLou didn't have any drink on him, oh well.  It's only another 3 miles I had to do.  I said goodbye to him and carried on.

I looked at my Garmin again and I realised that it wasn't another 3 miles, only another 2 miles! and a tiny bit!  I was thinking that the route I had planned on plotaroute had actually given me a few more roads that I don't need to know.  I did map it out using the 'straight lines' rather than automated using roads, but that was because of all the parks that I use, so maybe I wouldn't have to go up to Lovelace Avenue!  Now that made me smile.

I ran up to the Bus Garage, and then turned left.  My last park to run through was towards the end of this road.  I was guessing that around the park is maybe just under half a mile.  I was thinking I definitely don't need to run along Lovelace!  I can run out of the park, down Whitebeam and then just to make sure, run down Larch way to Farringdon and then onto my road!

Perfect!  I was really looking forward getting back and supping an orange squash!

Yes, I was tired, I was in need of a drink, and maybe a bit of sugar!  Just exactly what I expected!  A good training session, to get to know that my body requires of me to get around. Next week, I will treat my body to some hydration and fuel to get me round the next mile feeling in top gear!

Geeky stats.

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/693167167'></iframe>




No comments:

Post a Comment