Sunday 15 February 2015

Mob Match!

1. Petts Wood Runners!
Hello Blog lovers.

This morning was a special morning. This morning the anticipation was high, "I wonder if today will be the day".  We have been working hard for years to win a mob match, points and all!  I got up and had a cuppa, the nerves started, off to the loo! "Whats to be nervous about, Old Girl, it's just a mob match"  But today, today could be the day!

I dug out my 'colours' and put on my running gear.  I chilled, went to the loo, and chilled.  I tried not to get excited but I just so love these mob matches.  Such a great fun, friendly time together, it's what being part of the best running club in Kent!  "We have so many runners now, surely it's time, surely it's our time"

Just before I left this morning, I went to the loo!  What is it about nerves that it affects the bladder!? I  drove along to pick up WendiMoo.  It's her first time for attending a mob match.  Hopefully the first of many!  It's always daunting when you think that it is a 'match'. There will be points award, there will be winners and loses.

Orpington Road Runners, New Eltham Joggers and us, Petts Wood Runners, competing against each other in the first of this years mob matches.  The ORR always seem to win, will this be our time this year.  Or maybe NEJ have rallied around, recruited more runners, recruited some fast runners!? Could today be our day?

We arrived at the pub car park, The Rose and Crown at Green Street Green.  ORR are hosting this event, so we will be running on their 'turf' a rather hilly route, through some gorgeous paths and woods. I don't think I have been through here before, not unless the Orpington 10k came through here a couple of years ago! But for today it is just done over 4 miles and a bit! But I expect those hills are going to make it tough going.

2. ORR and PWR
Can you see me?

3. Can you see me now!

After saying hi to everyone it was soon time to go.  Just then I needed the loo! I can't even think about that now, there are no loos on route!  Well, none for ladies anyway!  The start of the run is going up hill, going up hill on wet grassy paths.  I was feeling it!  I am not very good with the whole going up hills straight off, Wendi was also at the back with me.  Michelle was very worried about the mob match, not wanting to let the club down, not wanting to be last in, but as soon as we got through the first gate she took off.  "Eat my dust"  She was off.  Her running is really come on leaps and bounds!

There is no shame at at being at the back, somebody has to do it, but with these events it's all about the numbers, the mob, the team!  I know my limitations, I know what I can do for our club and I know when to stand and cheer! WendiMoo and me were happy just to be here, running with our club.

The marshaling was superb! Every one of the enthusiastic, but we have only just started!  WendiMoo was busy chatting away, helping to take my mind of those hills!  Running through the woods and trails, its just the best.  No car fumes, no looking out for cars, the only thing that can run into you are the dogs! It seemed to me that all the dogs looked totally amused at our attempts are running!  Often showing off by tearing up in front of us!  It did amuse me though when I saw a little Yorkshire terrier trip up over a twig!  Its the sort of thing I can do!

We had two laps to do of the loop in the woods.  Hills, slippery hills!  But at least it's not as bad as the our woods, Petts Wood, Hawkwood Tong Farm.  At least we can run on these paths, well. those faster runners seemed to be flying up the hills.  But of course, because we were running up, the down hill section was so good.  Steep, a bity rocky with I presume bricks put in to protect the paths. And it also went around a sharp corner!

My arms were 'flapping' down as I tried to steady myself on the way down.  I remember Mr. S. saying that it's a good way of dealing with the down hills.  Flap your way down!  I remember seeing such things on the old films from the 50's and 60's of all the kids, flapping down as they ran down hill!  A great way to act like a kid and get away with it, I flapped my arms and I smiled! At some point I had a quick change!  I was rather warm and I had wished I had worn my short sleeved top, so I decided to do what one of my fellow PWR's did and that was to just whip off both tops and then put my vest back on!  It had to be done!  Just hope I didn't scare the wild life too much!

Of course we had to do that all again!  But do you know what? Those marshalls never looked fed up, never looked at the watches, never looked like they wanted not to be there.  The smiles and the encouragement were there to to last!  I know our marshaling gets some great reviews when we host our own 10k event, but these marshals deserve a huge cheer and a clap for their efforts today.

It was good to get to the end of the second loop. We can now turn right and head on in, just a straight run now, through the gate and around the top of the field.  WendiMoo and me were not the last, there was one other person behind us.  But maybe I shouldn't even mention that, not after I tell you that she had already ran 13 miles before starting this event!

Oh well, It's the taking part that counts.  I was pleased to see that there were still people around.  I tried to remember how many runners had lapped us before we started the second loop, I think it was virtually even, with only one NEJ lapping us.  Tim had come to the top of the field, I am sure he said he was just about to send out a search party for us!  I was thinking that maybe we hadn't won again this year.

We got a cheer as we crossed over the line.  The tea and cake was most welcome, in fact I managed to grab two pieces of cake! Most delicious!  Then it was to the pub for a celebratory drink and to await results.

4. Me and Wendimoo at the finish!


It wasn't too long before the results came in, with quite a few ORR and PWR still in the pub we eagerly awaited the results.  The first person back......was an ORR. The first lady back........was an ORR. The mob match (ie. the club with the most runners running)......was PWR! We have won that particular title a few times, but now the results of the scoring. and I would tell you how the scoring is done but I just can't figure it out! But all the scoring is done by the first 17 of each club coming in. 17 being the number of the least member turnout, and that was NEJ.

So, for the winners of the February Mob match between New Eltham Joggers, Orpington Road Runners and Petts Wood Runners is................PETTS WOOD RUNNERS!  The first time in our history, I think!   So well done us!

This is the route, my geeky stats!



Photos 1 and 4 with kind permission of Jo (SingstarJo) and photos 2 and 3 with kind permission of Judie....ORR

No comments:

Post a Comment