Wednesday 16 April 2014

Club Runs - Post Marathon Celebrations!

Hello Blog lovers,

I'm writing this late because, as the title suggest, we had celebrations after our club runs!  It's a tradition that is very popular with some club runners, including me!  All spring marathoners come along to the pub to show off their medals and to recount their tales of daring do! Well, their struggles with the road at least!

Group 0

But first off it was group 0.  I am still missing one organisational head! I had it a few weeks back, but now it seems to have been misplaced and on top of my shoulders is this empty head with a few last remaining 'flu-y' type of germs lingering about the place!  So I actually forgot to text everyone to see who was coming, and who could help me out.  I really didn't expect to have anybody to be on hand to help with group 0 today as the main people who helped out were recovering from their marathons, and would be down the pub!

So it was going to be a route that I could keep an eye on everyone, and hopefully not lose anyone!  But when we all got together we were chatting, the sun was still out and it was almost feeling like a summers evening! "Why not go through the woods!" came a suggestion.  I can't remember who made it, but I thought "That's a bloomin good idea!"

Now, I haven't been on a reccy yet to find a route that will be 2 to 2 and half miles in distance, the same as the two winter routes, so I am just going to have to 'wing it' and see how far we go!  I decided not to do the warm up part of todays run, I think going through the woods will be a tad slower than on pavements as there is more to slow us down, tree roots, uneven ground, sticky puddles. 

We went through 'Dog Poo Ally' and then turned right to head up the hill.  So far it's just like the winter route but it's through the woods instead!  We then turned left once we got to the top to run parallel with Chislehurst road.  All the while we were running the satellites couldn't find me.  I had not idea how far this route is going to be!  But I am sure they group will love it! I was never any good at judging distances!

After running along the parallel road we turned left again to head into the middle of the woods.  The ground beneath us was a nice 'bouncy' texture. Although uneven with all the dried up footprints from man and beast alike, there was at least no huge muddy sticky puddles to go through. 

We got to the memorial in the middle of the woods and the satellites decided to find me.  So at least I know that from this point I can let them know how far we ran.  It's always good to have a reference point!

We ran along to the middle path, the one that would take us down to 'Dog Poo Ally' but carried straight on.  The run would be over too quick if we went down there.  So I headed towards Botany Bay Lane and then I took them down to the bottom of that, over the river and ran up towards the railway lines. 

I remember the last time I was in this part of the woods, running alongside railway, the path was one long muddy sticky path! Only way to get to the other side was through the middle of it, mud up to your ankles. Yet now the path had dried leaving the footprints of all those brave souls who walked/ran through the woods all winter long.

We just had the last up hill section to do before getting back to 'D.P.A' and then back to the rec.  All in all a great run.  You can see the time it took as I started the clock ticking, and you can see just how far we ran from the memorial.  I think we actually ran for about 3 miles!  Ssshhh don't tell them!

Geeky stats.

Group 1

Illustrious Leader lead out group 1 today, and she chose the same hill that I did with my group 0! Although as the light was fading we were on the outside of the woods running up Birchwood!  It's seems so much nicer running this hill on the inside of the woods!  We also turned left at the top of the hill!  So far exactly what I had already done, but then further up the road we turned right into Leesons Hill. 

Now usually Illustrious leader had taken a small 'catch your breath' at the top of the hill, but today it seems she was on a mission.  Well I guess there is some celebrating to do after the club runs, her hubby DiscoRich aka Monsignor, Cardinal DiscoRich, (he always has a fancy dress costume when he does this run) had ran the London marathon this year!  We eventually took a quick catch up stop by the next usual stopping point!  I really did need that!  After not running since last Tuesday I was feeling a tad tired still!  Bloomin cold virus!

It's a twiddly bit of road from here, a right and a left turn thrown in, I never get used to which way we go when we take this particular route. But all I know is that it is virtually flat or down hill! A real pleasurable run from here.

It was while we were running this bit that we had a faller! Now she did not want me to name her, but we are thinking of making a new trophy in her honour!  Put it this way, it hasn't and I expect it won't ever put her off running just because lost her footing.  It's when stuff like that, that makes you realise that you are actually a runner!  Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, (wait for face to stop glowing before venturing back on the road, in case people think you are a traffic light) and carry on running!

Just a couple more twiddly bits of road and then we were running down Willet Way.  Once down here I.L. gave her usual pep talk about going as fast or as slow as you want, no changing the route, but I don't think they would have done as it would have made the run even longer! and see you back at the rec.

A great run today, my legs were complaining so I know that I have worked them a little harder than usual!  And now time for drinkies down the pub with this years spring marathoners!

Geeky stats for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment