Monday 17 June 2013

Shake The Sand Out!

Hello blog lovers.

Me and the Old boy decided to go out for a ''shake out' of the ol' limbs.  We could have gone out for a bike ride, which means I would have been riding on my new bike. (My Giant is still at my sisters house after she took it home for me, from the Brighton bike ride yesterday)  But today, we needed, I needed to keep my legs moving, burning up all those fat cells, or at least train the fat cells to become muscles! Ok, so we didn't actually get to the sands, or pebbles on the beach, but we did get to the seaside, and we do need to move our limbs about!

A run is what we both decided on.  Running through the woods, it's the business! You just can't compare that to running on the streets!  It would be criminal not to run through the woods.  It is a very humid evening, I think I will be 'glowing' well this evening.  We are doing the Goss Hill route, and before we left the house, the Old boy said to me "Are you going to run up the whole hill" and I replied "I will try" and before I could finish what I was saying he said "No! Wrong Answer, the answer is Yes!"

Well, I think I will be able to do it, as long as I follow the same sort of running style I did with China, then I believe I will be able to run up the whole entire hill! That is my plan anyway.  We started off running, "So what's the pace then, 10 m/mi" he said to me "10 minutes, are you kidding, 10 minutes! that's a sprint" I told him!  After I told him my plan which included a 1 minute walk after the first mile (which the Old Boy was not best pleased with!) we jogged along at my pace.  Just getting my breathing under control, warming up the leg muscles and any other muscles that I will be using to get up the hill. I was weirdly looking forward to it, just to prove to myself that I can do it.

The first mile was done in 11.12 m/mi, I took a one minute walk break here, I originally planned to walk for 2 minutes but decided to change that as I was with the Old Boy.  And then before long Goss hill was in front of me.  I was already back to running  so had to 'hit' Goss hill on the trot! No walk time here.  I kept going, I slowed my pace down, I tried to keep my breathing under control, block out anything that would take my distraction from getting to the top, people in the woods, tree roots, metal things sticking out of the path.  I know they are all there, I just have to be vigilant, stay focused, get up this hill! Do or Die!!!  Well, maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but I really wanted to get to the top.

The Old Boy was running next to me, encouraging me, "You're doing well, keep going" When ever I hear that from him, my natural reaction is to think "blimey, I must be running at his pace" and then I would want to slow down.  But I am going up hill, there is no way that I am running at this pace.  This is all my pace. Stay focused Old Girl, you can do it.  I can see the last little bend of the hill, the bend that leads to the bench at the top! I can almost hear the bench calling out to me "Come on Old Girl, you can do it"  I really wanted to sit on that bench, I saw wanted to stop jogging right now, I so wanted to say to the O.B. that I can't do it! But I didn't. I kept going. Right to the very top! I did it, and he didn't push me up there at all!

Now for the next couple of hills.  I managed to  get up the shorter one but the next one was just a hill too far today.  Well, I did ride over 52 miles yesterday on 'me' bike!  But once at the top, oh, once at the top, it was all down hill! I just love it! I can run down hill, who doesn't love to run down hill.  And really, it's not that steep that you have to 'flap your arms' up and down, like you're trying fly. It's a nice downhill, where you can relax your arms and shoulders, and just let gravity get you to the bottom.

I ran all the way to the first bridge to walk over. The path is still a little soft in places, and I'm still having to tiptoe to avoid these bits. But a great run, a great humid, horridly muggy run. But I do so love running in the woods!

Geeky stats

No comments:

Post a Comment