Tuesday 3 April 2012

Club Run!

Hello Blog lovers!

What a difference a week makes! Last week was still suffering the effects of that nasty cold virus thingy, and today, thankfully its more or less gone! I was looking forward to tonight's run, especially after Sundays 6 miler and yesterdays rest, I thought I would do quite well. And the weather! wow, I was thinking of putting my puts boots into the cupboard for the winter, but maybe that is just a little bit premature now!

So you can imagine my disappointment when the rain started. But I wasn't going to let that deter me from running, and I was quite pleased that Nagging Sister was still keen to get out there too!

I was still going to go into group 1 tonight though, group 2 will be on my agenda soon! Today's group 1 leader, however, is our Kit Man. Our illustrious leader is off on her holidays, running, I think somewhere in South Africa!

"How far doing you usually run, is it 3 to 3 and half or is it near 4 miles" I try and explain that it was the shorter route, but the rest of the group said its more the other way, those darn health freaks. "Oh good" he says "Cos I have that in mind"

We set off and I'm sure I saw our leader decide just then which way to go, now was this the easier way or the harder way. Well, it was the long hill going up, so I am guessing.....hmmmmm easier, get the hills out of the way in the beginning.

I was feeling good, in the front of the group, as per usual unlike last week where I was at the back, and not because I volunteered to be sweeper! My cough was well under control and I was concentrating on my breathing, trying to get that all back to how it should be.

But also on this run, our leader today, being as he has been running since he was an egg, gave us some tips. "Pretend that there is a helium balloon tied on your head, keeping your head up, just run like that between just two two lamp posts and see if you can notice any difference" We all tried it, and memories of running with Naggy Neighbour came flooding back, they normally do when I have to hold my head up, shoulders back, look ahead, BREATHE Oh, the times she nagged me, pushed me, pulled me, threathened me, and generally kept me going. But it does work, it does feel easier, and I should be doing that all the time. Now that the lighter days are going to be here, I shall concentrate on doing that more, (no looking at the floor, because it's getting darker)

I found the hardest bit of the run though, running towards where I live! Knowing that my house is just down the road, the road where I dare not stop running! I could be sitting at home, not in this drizzly rain (which by the way, I am quite enjoying really) but I have got NS's car keys! Oh well, on wards and upwards!

I managed to keep up with every mile, nearly! I was at the back, and only lost a bit towards the end of each mile. But I feel I am getting stronger and better. Maybe I will be flying through group 1 and joining group 2, soon!

Just the last mile to do now, and our Kit Man was giving advice to all of us today, as he is also the clubs physio!, Its good to have a 'tight ass!' and thats your glutes by the way! it helps with the whole running gait (I think that is what its called) to help your legs run in a straight manner, I know mine used to kind of swing round in front, run like a duck, as I called it. I'm not sure if I still run like that now though! And what with the over pronate thingy going on, plus the whole couch potato attitude, it's a wonder I ran at all!

Just the last road now, and you all know me by now, that last sprint up to the rec gates! I just have to do it, it's the only time that I really push my body to the point that it start to think "if this road was any longer I would throw up" Usually I stop when that thought comes into my head, even if its a couple of steps from the sign, but today I just went a tad further and tried to run even faster!

I didnt throw up, thankfully>

Geeky stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment