Wednesday 25 April 2012

Club Run - And Celebrations!

Hello blog lovers.

I am writing this today a whole 24 hours after the event! It has been a while since my last run, I do believe it was a whole 5 days before. The weather has been dreadful and just not very runner/cyclist friendly at all.

I was looking forward to today's run, I have missed it. I am not sure how I am going to do, but I was also looking forward to after the run as well. We were all meeting up at the pub to congratulate all our spring marathoners, and I was particularly looking forward to seeing the group 1 runner to see how she had done.

I had forgotten my Garmin, so there are no geeky stats for this blog, but also no looking at it and going slow because I had reached a mile into the run! We were running through Jubilee Park, the first time this year, and it feels good! But it was soon back to road work, and on the roads that I know like the back of my hand. I know how long, and how far it is to go before we turn left or right. I know that it sometimes my handicap! Even with the couple of stops to all regroup!

On the route back I was in my usual place, at the back! But after we reached the road to turn right, we had a short break. We continued on from here non stop and I managed to stay with the pack then. Well, it was not far to go to the end and of course there is the celebrations to look forward to.

As we were running up Tudor Way, group 2 came from the other direction and we were neck and neck as we headed for the club house. They wasn't running as fast as I thought they would be, and they only just managed to edge in front of us as we crossed the road to go up the last road. Nagging sister is in this group, and I heard her call out "Good going Old Girl, see you up there" The first one in buys the pints" I shouted out to her, and her reply was, "Well its going to be you anyway, you have the money"   Darn it, so I have!

But the 'sprinting me' took over as soon as we touched foot on to Crossways. Group 2 members did too, and a couple more of group 1 seemed to be sprinting up the last bit, its the inner club friendly rivalry that is spurring us all on.

I was about 5 seconds behind Nagging Sister, so in fact I could use a bit of her geeky stats, i.e. the time as to how long we were running for!

So geeky stats are: distance  about 3.75 miles, time about 43 min (I think, I can't remember now, I do miss my Garmin!)

I would like to share this with you all though, our group 1 runner inspired and filled me with encouragement when I listened to her. She only started running in September, after her daughter entered her for the VLM, and so she thought she better join a club and get into training! She is only a year younger than me! She ran her first ever marathon, in fact her first ever race, 26.2 miles  of it, behind a pacer, doing jog/walk etc, in 5hrs and 18 mins. I was well impressed!  Well done Sue Banks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment