Tuesday 14 December 2010

Signed On The Dotted Line!

Hello bloggers,

Well, this old girl has gone and done it. I handed in my membership application and my cheque! Now its up to them if I am up to their standards!

There were a few more ppl here today, more than last week when the snow was still thick and crunchy on the ground. The coach explained who was taking the leads in each group and the leaders all said where they were going, how far and how fast they would be running. I was waiting patiently for the coach to say that he will be taking the newly enlisted on a 13.30 min miles over such and such a distance. Boy was I pleased when I head that he was still going to do that!

Not only that but they will again split and the slower group with go with yet another group leader while those who feel they can go that little bit faster (and further) can go with the coach!

I did try to keep up with the other group. I did my usual thing of starting up with the coach and then falling back. But this time the group was only small, because some of the newbies had already gone up to group 1, so I was running not in the middle of the pack but with the slower starters! But when we got to the place where there were two groups I was already behind anyway. But from there on, it was just the two of us, the leader of the slow group and me!

I really did try very hard to just keep moving, and we were chatting on parts of the run so I knew, I knew I could keep running, but the doubts crept into my mind, 'Old girl, have you noticed your the only one in this slowest of the slowest group in this running club?' This really did play on my mind, and another thought popped into my mind 'Will they want a slow slow runner like you bringing them down old girl?' I was feeling slightly demoralised by my thoughts today. I am desperate to join this club, I need to keep running with people especially in the winter months. 'They won't want an old slow couch potato like you'

That's it! Got to keep running, keep chatting to the group leader or I should be saying running buddy as there are only the two of us here! I just tried to keep on running, I think I may have stopped a couple of more times on route. I am so glad she stayed with me, I hadn't a clue where I was! I kept seeing places that I recognised and then turning off and going somewhere else!

The fastest of the slower group had gone from our sight now, they were also going to go on a slightly longer run than me and running club buddy were going. We carried on chatting, and she was telling me that next week they will be meeting up earlier because they will all be meeting up for drinks after in the near by wine bar. Not only because its Christmas but because they also have prize giving and also to draw who will be running in the next London Marathon! Apparently all affiliated clubs get so many places for so club members, and those who want a chance to run in it have to put their names down for a draw (as long as other criteria is met) Now that does sound like fun (the drinkies not the marathon draw) and it will be a great way to meet all the other running members and to put my face out there, in the light so to speak.

I digress again! So it was just the two of us, running at my pace, not pushing my self. And the I noticed where were were, we were nearly back at the rec. Not far now, just cross over the road and we are nearly there. The church was just behind us now. I had no idea of the route we took, I don't even think I can remember even I tried to plot it out on Map My Run! We had gone one way out of the rec, and turned some corners, and came on to a road I recognised, and then we did this circle and carried on running back from where we had just come from, 'in a lollipop' shape so my running buddy said. But then we ran past the road when we had come from, the beginning of the 'stick' part of the lollipop. I had no idea where I had just ran, but right then, when I saw the church I knew were we were and had a renewed bit of energy to run even better that I had been doing.

It was here that I told my new running buddy that had I been running with my friend she would have nagged me something stupid! I can just hear her now 'No stopping, come on, move, only a couple of minutes and we will be there' New running buddy said "Ah, so that's what I should have been doing!" Why did I have to tell her that!

But seeing the sign for the recreation ground helped me to put a slight speed on, I didn't know if the other group would be back by now, or indeed the other groups, if they would be back, but running buddy said that we need to run now, but I was already on my toes! We turned into the drive of the grounds and of course I slowed down! Its so darn dark! I cant see where I am treading! But as we approached the building where we all meet up we notice that we are the first group back!

Not long after that another group came in behind, I believe it was group 1, with the newbies who had 'gone up' a group, and then the other half of the group that I was in came in next!

All in all everyone had a great run, although there was one accident, one lady had tripped on what was probably wire packaging, she had managed to get both feet into a circle of this wire and and tripped up and came crashing down on her face! Now most people (including me) would be sitting around waiting for ambulances and the air ambulance to fly to the nearest hospital, but after only a short rest and a short walk, she RAN BACK TO THE REC WHERE SHE HAD PARKED HER CAR Now there is dedication for you! A true runner!

I had a great run today, not the fastest, and about 3.5 miles in distance, and I think around about 44 to 45 minutes run. I handed in my application to the coach. Now, just sit back and wait, wait to find out if I am fit enough to carry on running with these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment