Sunday 12 December 2010

The Big Melt!

Hi blogges!

I know the kids now days have 'nicked' the word 'melt' as a cuss for their homies, and my husband thinks its a name for a tasty cheeseburger, but I am pleased with the big melt. It means I could go on a longer run ,now that there is no snow on the paths, that I have done in while!!

It felt good (well of course I mean after I have done the run i felt good) to get out and run again. The pavements were clear, the sun was trying to break through, and I had set my alarm to get me up early enough before church, to get out and have a cobweb blasting run this morning.

It was nice and warm in my big bed, the alarm 'yelling' at me to get out, and my head saying to me "Why are you doing this?" But I know my heart and every fibre in my body is saying, "Go on old girl get out there, run, its good for you"

So with my head still telling me its bloomin crazy going out running during winter, I reluctantly searched my wardrobe for some running clothes. All ready now, I check on the time just before I leave. My IPOD still not charged up and I am not bothering with that silly stopwatch thing the old boy gave me, I want to know how much 'damage' not running as done to this old girls fitness level.

It was quite chilly out, but I knew, once I got warmed up I wouldn't even notice it. I set off, and again old couch potato head telling me that is ludicrous to be out here running at 8:49 on a Sunday morning in the chilly air! And I was even thinking that maybe because I haven't been out properly for a while then I should just do the very short run again.

I tried to put thoughts like that behind me, and just concentrate on good things. Things like, well at least I am out here doing something, and I can do this, anyone can run, but not everyone keeps it up! At lease I am keeping it up, and I can do this if I put my mind to it!

As I was running I got to as far as the first mile and then slowed to a walking pace, I heard voices behind me and I turned around and saw two runners on the other side of the road. Well, I just had to run again. And I was quite pleased that I was running because in the opposite direction was another runner heading towards me. A quick nod to each other and onwards.

I managed to get as far as Turp before I slowed down to a walking pace again. And I decided to walk a little further. Walk for about 3 or 4 minutes. And then tackle the second half of the run and try and run for as long as possible.

As I was heading back up Southborough Lane I started to 'enjoy' the run! I know its strange, but I felt a smile on my face as I was heading towards the last mile. And I also saw the runner that I passed earlier, he was on the other side of the road now, and he was walking! I was quite pleased that when I say him I was still running! Again we nodded and I ran on.

The run went quite quickly, but I do remember telling myself off for walking yet again when I was down Oxhawth, but once I got onto Faringdon I had my 'no stopping head' on. But that's when old couch potato head raised her lazy head again. "Old girl, slow down, no one will be up this time on a Sunday, walk for goodness sake" Just because I haven't been out for a run for a long time I am not going to slow to a walking pace now, not while I am on my manor!

On and on, turn the corner and on to my road. I didn't have enough left to finish in style well, maybe I had just a tad left, and I bolted up my path to my house.

Fumble for the key to go and check on the time. 09:33, oh wow, I wished I was good at maths, so, I started off at 08:49, add that to that, take off that, borrow that and the leaves...........erm..... 44 mins?? yeah, I think that's right

Well, not the best, but I am very happy that I am getting out there still!

No comments:

Post a Comment