Tuesday 7 December 2010

Am I Totally Mad..... YES!!!

Bloggees, hello, how are you all?

Well its been I while, I bet you all though that I had gone into hibernation. Well, I could quite have easily gone into the loony bin! I was just about stir crazy stuck in doors!

Today I went running with the running club, well I shall use the word 'running' loosely when I talk about me, but the other members all done brilliantly!

Its the first time I have been out, ever, running in icy snowy freezing conditions as it was tonight. I was desperate to get out and run, and if couldn't have got my car out, I would have walked! But I did manage to get it out!

I arrived at the recreation ground in plenty of time, and mingled about until the coach explained what was going to happen this evening. He said that we shall do two laps of the rec for a warm up and then we were going to do 'paarluufs relay X 200 metres.'....... I bet your expression is the same as mine was, when I read that on the clubs web page "What in the running world is that" I was all ears as coach explained.

We were to get into groups of 3, each group shall have number 1, 2 and 3. Number 2 shall walk half way round the 400 meters rec and then wait there until number 1 runs there, then number 2 shall run the rest of the way to the beginning to let number 3 run around and then let number 1 run to the beginning, etc etc, and we will be doing this for 40 mins, that's right, 40 mins!

Of course being the newbie and not knowing anyone and turning up by myself, I didn't have a group, so coach kindly put me with some not so fast runners! (So he said!)

So as soon as the number 2's were in position coach said "right now off you go", I was an additional no.1 so I just kept an eye of the young lad that I had to run alongside. Well, I tried! He took off, I just stumbled along the snow covered green, crunching my way round, desperately trying to stay upright! The young lad was a blurr. Not only because it was fairly dark, the tennis club obviously not open today, so no lights from their courts, but because I was fairly warmed up from the two previous laps my glasses kept steaming up! But I managed not to embarrass my self, by falling over!, but I did notice that it all went quiet whenever I reached the cones and the number 1's. I can only imagine they were having a giggle at my pathetic attempts to stay upright, and the silly 'girly' running style I was doing!

First lap completed, half way through the second lap, and I was exhausted! Running on snow and ice is a completely different animal all together!! My calves were hurting, my ankles were hurting, (I kept twisting both of them trying to run) but I was loving it. "I'm knackered" I thought, the coach said "I hope nope, we only been doing it for 6 mins" My goodness did I say that out loud! Blimey it didn't feel like only 6 mins. And the the young lad who was the other no.1 said "I got 7 mins" Oh yes, that makes it a whole lot better!!

Oh, but bloggees, it didn't matter, I was out running (ish) and thats all I cared about. I am going to download the membership form and become a member of the 'Petts Wood Runners!' I love running, I need to run!

No comments:

Post a Comment