Wednesday 13 March 2019

Beginners March 2019

Hello blog readers.

Saturday 2nd March saw the first of our beginners sessions of the year.  To say I was excited was an understatement.  I do love doing leading these sessions.  I just love being able to give back to this running malarkey of some of what it has given to me. And what is that?  For a start health!  Ok, so I am not the leanest of runners out there pounding the streets, but I know for a fact that if I didn't run I would certainly be a roly poly nanny! What else has it given me?  A sense of achievement!  You know every time I do some running, I feel good.  There has never been a run that I am disappointed with.  Of course there are the PB's that I have failed to get, of course there are the extra miles I didn't complete or been annoyed at myself that I didn't put enough effort in.  But the fact I went out and did something is so much better than not doing anything. And being  a PWR is really the cherry on the top! Because right there is where I have made some incredible new friends, as well have some of my best mates be apart of my club!

That first week, DiscoRich introduced himself and all us leaders as well as all the PWR's that came along to help out.  There were 47 anxious looking faces looking back at us!  So when DiscoRich handed over to us I was the first up front to do the session.  We, that's me, ZippySherry and RefMike take it in turns to lead each week.  I don't think all those people looking at me realised just how nervous I felt standing there!  It's amazing how I panic when it's my turn to lead, will I remember everything?  There is usually something that I forgot, but fortunately having 3 of us to lead is actually very comforting!

The first session was really a nice gentle 1 minute of running with 5 minutes of walking.  People who are fit, who hit the gym for 4 hours a day would probably think that it is way to easy and that beginners should start out at 5 minutes running straight away!  Well, we don't work like that.  When I first started running way back in 2008 I had no one to help me, it was just me and my sister trying to get fit for a 'Race For Life' in memory of our mum.  We just ran until we couldn't run anymore! Oh my goodness, that is deffo not the way to do it.  I was totally demoralised that I couldn't run a mile!  A mile, I really expected to be able to do it.  I could have quite easily have given up!  Thankfully I didn't, but there is a bit more to my story just click HERE if you want to read it!

There I was acting all cool like, well in my head I was, but in reality I was stumbling over my words and trying to make jokes.  But I think I broke the ice.  At least all 47 faces looked relieved when I said I was only joking about doing 10 push-ups!  We actually started with two laps around the rec at a brisk pace, followed by the drills.  I feel pretty sure that everyone loves skipping along like were invisible.  Just like being a kid again, right?!  A few butt kicks and side skipping and some other bits and we were ready for the running bit.  One minute running, not at speed, just enough so that we could all chat, followed by 5 minutes of walking.  We did that five times....well not the walk and drills of course, just the run/walk sequence. 

Everyone looked really pleased with themselves that they did it!  And that's the best bit of course, we do it slowly, building up slowly so that it is achievable, even for those who have never ran before! And do you know what the best bit was?  Well the best bit was they all came back the following week!  One was away, but we had another new comer, so still had 47 runners, and the runner that was away wanted to know what we were doing so that she could keep up with the homework!

Last Saturday we had them running for 2 minutes, so twice as long as they were running the week that I lead.  Running twice as much is always such a huge psychological boost!  It's wonderful to watch them as they slowly realise exactly what they can do!

Anyway, I think I have caught up with my blogging!  Here's some photos of the first two weeks of our beginners.

Here we are doing our brisk walking.

Running! Well, we are a running club! It
says so right on our tops!

Follow the leaders!  Doing our stretches

Ok, so this is me arriving late for
the second sessions!

Taking over the stretches for Sherry while Sherry
collected in the cones!



No comments:

Post a Comment