Wednesday 14 November 2018

Last Beginners Autumn 2018

Hello blog lovers.

As promised here is the other blog I missed for Saturday.  It's all about our beginners!  Last Saturday was the last Saturday for this year that we all meet up in the rec.  The next time, which is on Saturday we will be meeting at Norman Park for the 5k parkrun they have all been training for! And hopefully after that to be a part of PWR!

We were heading out on to the street again, as we did the week before, it was just as well because the rain was relentless on Friday, the grass would have been soaking wet!  Which did mean, of course, that our warm up walk and drills had to be done on the roads as well!  Can you imagine the scene.  35+ people walking briskly out of the back gate of the rec, half way down Towncourt Crescent we break into some gentle skipping followed by some gentle jogging.  I didn't stop there, I got them doing some side jumping and then butt kicks!  All along the streets of Petts Wood.  It's ok, you don't look like a complete fruit loop when there are 35+ people all doing the same thing, honest! 

We made a loop all the way around to the front gate of the rec and went inside.  RefMichael took the beginners to the paved area, or the patio as we call it, and I kept all the wonderful volunteers from PWR that came to help,  on the car park.  That is where they slotted themselves into the throng of beginners as they run out of the rec to do the loop with the slight incline, or, as I have heard today an upward flat section, or which it think is going to be my new term for those dreaded hills,  a false flat!  It kind of rolls off the tongue.   So there we were, crossing over the road and heading for the 'false flat' of Wood Rise.  Everyone seemed happy and chatty.  There was also a lot of "I didn't think I would ever be doing this" as they ran along!  It seemed a long time from the 1st week until now, but there they were, running up the hills like the athletes.

I stayed behind the last runner, sweeping, I had MichaelL and another faster runner (her name has left my head!) leading the way around our lovely training route, all the other PWR's starting mingling with the others as they found their pace.  There were so many PWR's to support and encourage our beginners on their last session.  Some of them ran the loop three times, the slower ones ran the loop twice.  That's not bad for people who have never ran before!  We are pretty amazed by our group, and so proud of everyone!  I wish I could name them all, but you know how I am with names!

We finished our run in the rec and did stretches to finish.  It was all very quiet while we were stretching, I think everybody was thinking about just how much they have achieved!  It really is an achievement, to finish a course, a running course is amazing.  Now all they have left to do is to bring that all together next Saturday for the parkrun at Normans Park!  I am totally really excited about it! 

I had a couple of really lovely emails from the them which brought a huge smile to my face. I do this just because I love to give back to Petts Wood Runners what they have given me!  Encouragement, support, friendship, achievement after achievement!  I just love to help others to achieve their goals.  It really is most rewarding!  Bring on spring beginners!

Look out for next Saturdays blog. It probably won't be written until Monday, I have a busy weekend, but it will have some photos, that I am sure of!


No comments:

Post a Comment