Monday 21 May 2018

Petts Wood Runners - On Tour!

Hello blog readers
Freedom!

This blog is a good few days late, mainly because it happened while I was on holiday!  The Windy Island, otherwise known as Fuerto Ventura!  We arrived late on a Saturday, around 10 ish at our hotel, and what a beautiful hotel it was too!  So off course there was no running on that day!  It was also the day of our PWR Beginners Graduation, so I had missed that! But I was assured that they all did just so well, RefMichael and ZippySherry were there to guide them through it, as well as quite a few PWR members too.

So our first run, oh, sorry, I should have said, I was on holiday with J.J. and Kirsty and Glynis!  It was only me and J.J. running though, our first run wasn't until the Tuesday!  By that time however, there had been quite a bit of eating and drinking!  Well, when you are on an all inclusive holiday it's rude not to experience it all! So our first run we were both slightly hungover, and bellies full of two course breakfasts, lunches and dinners! Hmm, it was going to be tough!  We got up early, so before we had our two (or three) course breakfast, and walked down the steps towards this stunning beach.  We chose to run along the top path and then down to the shore line.  We decided to do about 3 miles, so just a nice group 1 distance, you know, a parkrun distance!  Perfect for the way we were both feeling.

I looked at the hill going down, and I looked towards where we were running too.  We were going to to run out for about 1.5 miles and then spin around and come back.  That should get us with in sight of a lighthouse.  Well, I couldn't see a lighthouse from the beginning of our run, I started to think "This is going to be a long hard slog!"  So with my full tummy, PWR top on and the determination of a gnat we set off!  Both of us knew it was going to be a struggle, but hopefully the wonderful location will just blot out all the bad bits, and if nothing else, it's still a great walk along the beach! 
I shall keep the sand out
of my toes, thank you!

There wasn't that many people about, there was evidence that some were about,  all the running shoe footprints in the sand!  And some barefoot runners too!  The sand was still wet for the receding sea, so it wasn't too bad to run on.  Not dry dusty sand, so our calves were not going to be complaining too much!  It was more difficult that I thought it was going to be, we walked/ran our way to 1.5 marker, I was quite pleased that by the time we got there we could actually see a light house!

See we did run on the
first one!
On our way back J.J. was telling me that the beach is actually quite frequented by the naturists!  Being early morning  I didn't think there would be anyone 'out' sun worshipping or swimming!  How wrong was I!  We just ran on by, "Morning" I said to this grey bearded chap "Morning, all right" he said in a Yorkshire type accent!
On our way back, on a quiet
lonely beach

We didn't run back up the path, we finished our 3 miler on the beach, but of course, as it was our first run out, we took time to enjoy the beach, to look at the sight and sounds and the little furry creatures that live on the beach!  J.J. decided that she wanted to run in the sea, so she whipped off her shoes and ran barefoot along the shore line!  Which is where that picture at the top of the page came from!  I think I captured the moment, the sense of freedom and fun!  I was a little less keen to get my feet wet, but I did in the end! I must admit, it did feel good!

We took our time on the run out and we took our time on our run back, and why not, look what we had to look at, not only that, if we had just ran all the way we would not have met these little fellas!
....but we also stopped and looked at
these lovely critters!


It was lovely, and quite frankly I was pleased with didn't have to run up the hill to finish our 3 miles!  Our run ended just a tad pass our hotel we were staying, with a route going back up to the back gate......it was stairs, but quite flat stairs.

However, on our second run of the holiday, on the Thursday morning, we seemed to do a lot more running and less walking, but my goodness it was blimmin tough!  Even more food, evening more beer, it was just ridiculous the amount I had eaten!  I am sure that I have put on over half a stone!  It's just as well I had forgotten to weigh myself before I left, so in mind, it is probably only just a pound!  That's what I am saying, that's all I have to say about that!

Our second run we took the same  route, there seemed to be a lot more people out running and walking along the beach, no naturists, just as well, I didn't want to be put off my breakfast!  It was a beautiful morning and I felt it was a lot warmer than on the previous Tuesday!  I was sweating!  J.J. seemed to be on fire though, she was ahead of me the whole time and I was playing catch-up!
This was us after we got to the top of the steps
after the first fun! #pettswoodrunnersontour

We had a different set of stairs to go up for a second run, a steeper set, all the way to the top!  Oh my goodness, the pain I felt in my legs, getting up those steps!  My thighs were crying out!  Well, ok, maybe a slight exaggeration again, but my legs were suffering!  I think if I had ran up the steps then the thigh crying would be totally on cue!

I was pleased that I managed to do two lots of running on such a stunning beach!

Geeky stats for our two runs, and as you can see, the first run was a lot slower, but then we did get some lovely photos!

We were faster on our second run, which is remarkable
considering we were even more full of food!



No comments:

Post a Comment