Tuesday 27 March 2018

Club Run - Mystery Tour!

Hello blog readers.

It was a beautiful day today, quite warm, although apparently this morning there was torrential rain!  I fortunately didn't see any of it, just the remnants, the shiny wet roofs of the house, the sodden pavements glistening in the lovely sunshine.  I do hope that spring is here to stay now, I am fed up of winter keep coming back, stomping it's foot and saying "...and one more thing!"......Sorry I saw that on a facebook post.  I though it high hilarious, but it exactly describes these last few weeks that we have just had!

It will soon be time to go through the woods, oh I can't wait for that time.  But for now as least we can see that the nights are getting lighter!  I was leading again today, I wasn't quite sure of the route that I wanted to do.  I wanted to incorporate some of Cardiac Hill.  I must study a map again and plot out a route involving the whole of Cardiac Hill, just to give us all a challenge when the time is right.  For next week however, it will be a nice easy route.......at a faster pace as it's move up week!  I gave my route out at the announcements and my group 1'ers didn't sound that pleased about it!  I am sure they will come to love those hills as much as.....well some one who loves hills!  I am hoping I will love hills too, but I do know that they will do us some good, and besides, as you all know, you can't go anywhere in Petts Wood without encountering a hill!

After I had given out my route and pace etc I noticed that Ruth had a map with her as she was leading group 2!  That was blimmin handy!  I could quickly scan the roads and quickly plot out a route and guesstimate the mileage. With a route sorted, and with some extra roads in mind if I thought I needed it to make up the 3 miles I waited till all the other groups had left.  Then it was our turn to leave.  We ran out the gate and turned right I wanted to get to St Georges road so that I can run along St Johns Road to Crofton Road.  That's the road that will take us to Cardiac Hill, but only to the middle of the dreaded hill.  I think I am going to plot a route that will take us from the very bottom of the hill to the very top of the hill.  I am sure Illustrious Leader used to take us on a route that did this.  I wish I could remember it! 

So really our route was a bit of a mystery tour, I hadn't a clue how many miles/Kilometres we were going to be doing but I shall keep an eye on my Garmin!  My group was in two halves.  I had some faster runners up with me, chatting away.  I had to try and slow them down and even send them up a bit further then run back to us.  I am thinking that I will be sending some of my group 1's up to group 2 next week, just so that they can have a 'feel' of it! 

All through our mystery tour my group was splitting up and regrouping, it could be that Cardiac hill was to blame, we all know that hills really give a good work out! We eventually got to the top of Birchwood road, still only 2 miles in to our run.  I have to find a mile from this point to the rec.  I decided to go straight down Birchwood, pass by Towncourt and then into the next road, I think it's called Manor Way.  All the way along till we get to the end and then turn left, left and right, which gets us to Kingsway!  The last hill of the evening and thankfully going down!

A good run today, with an extra half mile on our usual run.  I forgot to turn off my Garmin as we were doing our stretches and leaving the rec, so the time is just a bit wrong....!  But I did love this run.  I must find some more little challenges.....but for next week it's our usual 'be nice to the group 1's' route even though I am going to get them to work slightly harder!

Here's the geeky stats.



No comments:

Post a Comment