Thursday 18 January 2018

Track Thursday!

Hello blog readers.

I didn't manage to get our running this morning, I needed to be elsewhere, but I still did my daily 5 disciplines before I even left my room!  18 times of each discipline plus and extra second added to the plank!

I didn't know if I was going to make it track this evening, but I did, I had told NaggyNeighbour that I might be a bit late, she decided to get out of work clothes and into Pj's instead of running gear!  I know, strange right!  Anyway, I sent her a message saying that I will be back in plenty of time so she had to go get changed again into her running gear.  And then we drove off to the the track at Norman Park.

Just as we were on Bromley Common the heavens opened!  Big fat bits of rain fell down, "Shall we just go to the pub" was Naggy's response to that, and just as quickly as the rain came it stopped!  "It's the weather having a laugh with us" I said to her "Weather was a bit keen and thought we were already at the track, but now it's stopped and it's going to wait until we are half way through our session"  You just know something like that is going to happen, don't you! I decided that I was going to leave my warm dry hoody in Naggy's car, I didn't want it getting wet if I had to leave it on the railings while I ran!

There were a few people there this evening, the usually fast runners, the marathon runners and a a smattering of others and me!  I like track, I know it does me good, and I do really try and do exactly what PhysioMikeTheMod tells us to do.  This session was 5 x 1k with 90 sec rest after a 10 minute tempo warm up run with some strides thrown in.  But for the runners who do park run 30 minutes and slower will do 5 x  800m with 90 sec rest, so that's my work for this evening.  I had asked Stephen to show me how to count laps on my Garmin, I really wasn't quite sure how it all works, evening now after all this time of owning the watch!  So a quick lesson and then we started our running.  We ran the first 10 minutes at a nice steady pace, or marathon pace as PhysioMiketheMod said.  Apparently I was running at 5:20:00 to 5:10:00 pace, which was quite amazing as both my marathons I did in just over 7 hours!  But on the day, it is totally different, it was for me anyway! I had managed to correctly time that 'lap' and so after we did the strides and got back to the starting line for the laps I set the watch going again to start recording the 800 m laps.

I completely mucked it up! But I did get some recorded, I missed out one lap altogether!  And off course I have my watch set in 'old money' so it's set in miles not meters.  I wish I could understand what all the info says......its at the end of the blog by the way.  How fast I had done each lap, etc.  I completely messed up lap two, it didn't get recorded at all!  Never mind, it's all new to me.  I shall know for next time.

Joanne ran with me from the second lap onwards.  She is doing this REDJanuary thing, crazy, I know, but she is being sensible about it only doing 2.5 to 3.5k runs and then club runs and parkruns as well.  So she just wanted to take it easy, and so she joined me.  She kept me going actually, I am sure, feeling they way I have been feeling, I could quite easily take it easy myself.  With the silly excuse of "well  I had a bit of a day today"  having Joanne next to me, running and chatting with me kept me focused and I kept my pace up.

Some of the faster runners were coming in, finishing their final 5th lap and we still had one more lap to do!  I didn't think that I would have enough time to do the final lap, but both Joanne and PhysioMiketheMod said "Yes, of course, there's plenty of time".  Ok, so no getting off the last lap, nor would I want to, off course, I am here to work hard.  That's what I love about the track sessions, it's all about you, what you can do, what you can run, what you can get out of yourself.  All the other runners are there running their race too, chat to you on the way round, and us from group 1 get to run with the faster runners, but of course there we don't slow them down! And there's no waiting while we catch up!  It's perfect!  I am sure I say that all the time, but I do love these track sessions.......oh my goodness, I said something positive again about my running!  I think my mojo is slowly making a comeback!  See, all that DISCIPLINE and I will DO IT!  I just need to keep on keeping on!

We finished our last lap, and joined in with the stretches at the end.  A fabulous session this evening, NaggyNeighbour was so pleased that she got out and ran too! Just what we both needed.

Geeky stats for you, see if you can make head or tails of them, remembering of course that I had missed out on one 800 meter and I am sure I 'blended' two laps together somewhere too!






No comments:

Post a Comment