Wednesday 24 September 2014

Tuesdays Club Runs

Hello blog lovers.

Group 0

Yesterday was club night.  I just love club night.  I took group 0 out and I was feeling pretty good, if a little bloated and a little jaded from the total fun and relaxation I have had while my daughter has been here from Chicago.  There were four that turned up for the 7 o'clock run, but only three of them were running along with me.  That's right Suzanne is not ready to put her shoes on maternity leave just yet!

Just the pace has slowed down a bit and the distance!  I am not sure sure how long ladies can run when then are growing babies, all I know is that when I was growing my three all I wanted to do was sit, eat and then throw it all back up again, for at least the first 8 months!  So I am in admiration of her!

We took the Petts Wood winter route, running up the undulations of Hazlemere, Great Thrift and Wood rise.  It's a lovely route for learning to love hills!  They are not particularly steep, but just enough to get the heart beating a tad harder than a normal flat route, and then before you start to hate the hill it flattens out!  Perfect for those coming back from injury, perfect for those getting ready to go up to Group 1 and perfect for ladies with babies on board!

We all ran the whole way to the memorial hall before we had a short walking break before starting with the running again.  In fact I believe ran 98% of group 0 run today, and I am sure the ladies were well pleased with that, I know I was.

Geeky stats.



Group 1


Illustrious Leader Anne was taking the lead role today and I was glad when she said that our route was going up Birchwood first!  Which means that we will get the hill out of the way first!  After chatting to club members about our 10k which will be soon, I had kind of stiffened up a bit, my muscles were aching somewhat, and I could feel that the celebrations over the last 3 weeks has settled on my hips, thighs, arse and tummy!  Well, you need a good blow out on the odd occasion, and having my 30th anniversary and my eldest daughter home was as good as an excuse as you can get!

I volunteered to be sweeper again, as you know by now, I just can't get any further in the pack anyway! And as this was 'move up' week our group was a tad smaller that usual.  Move up week is where members are encouraged to try moving up to the next group, to change the distance and go for a faster pace.  The leaders will keep strictly to the lower scheduled pace, for example, group one run at 11:30 - 12:00 m/mil so they would run at 12:00, on the button! with the usual stops of course.

The run up Birchwood was good, I kept up, made sure no one was left behind, although Sue was playing catch up along Crossways when we left the rec, she was setting up her run keeper app thingy! We had a quick breather just to check and then carried on running, our scheduled stop by the first post box just off of Leesons hill.

That's where I started to struggle on some.  Can you believe I was aching on the flatter part of the route!  Oh well, I must listen to my own chats some times, "All runs are different" I tell people who say they are having a bad run! "There are no bad runs, as all runs are good!" makes sense right, I mean, if you're out there running you're not sitting in doing nothing! "There are only slower runs and faster runs, but no bad runs"

I tried to listen to my own advice, and just struggled on playing catch up.  I must do more solo running to pick up my fitness again!  Then we can to a point where Illustrious leader said that there was a short cut for those that really want it, "But none of us really want to do that" she said with a smile on her face.  I looked down the road, it looked totally inviting, and then the group started running the longer way.  I sighed as I started to run after them "You can go the short cut" said Sue, but I think she was joking!  But I listened again to my own advice "If you're struggle, slow down, walk, take a rest" So I actually found myself saying to Sue "Actually I thin I will, could you run on ahead and let I.L. leader know, and I will meet you at the bottom"

I don't think she meant for me to take up on her suggestion!  Especially now as she has to run to the front of the group to let I.L. know (and she has been off running for the past 3 and half weeks)  but she said ok.   Usually we don't let any of us run by ourselves, but I knew this road, it was well lit, and at the bottom, around about 50-60 PWR's would be running past there to get to the rec!  It wasn't as if I was by myself either, because just after I started down the road, the Old Boy had faced timed me.  He is in Guernsey fishing, and was just calling in to let me know about his day!

 I did meet group at the bottom of the road, but as I was waiting for them my second daughters boyfriend drove past and pulled up as I was waiting for them  "Blimey, you must be really fast" he said to me "the others are still up the top there"  Now should I put him straight and tell him that I had actually taken the short cut or not! Hmmm!

When some of the group 1 got to me I carried on running the rest of the route with them, which was just up Crossways really, but I did have the energy to do the usual sprint up the road, (who wouldn't after a a few minutes rest!)  A great run, it's a shame I took the short cut, but I am not going to beat myself up about it! It was just a shorter run, is all!

So Geeky stats for Group 1



No comments:

Post a Comment